The Student Room Group

Bsc Mathematics and Computer Science for University

I'm currently studying A levels in Mathematics, History and English and am predicted at least AAA. I'm planning on going on to study mathematics at uni (as it is my favourite subject) but I would like to pair it with something like computer science in a joint honours as I hear this is a more beneficial route.

I have done plenty of extra curriculars in maths over the years, so in my personal statement it'll be easy to prove my interest and competency. However, in terms of computer science, as I have not officially studied it before I feel like this will be a challenge. I've completed a 30 hour beginner python program online, and I did enjoy it, however I did not receive a certificate at the end for completion. So the purpose of this post is to ask, how can I demonstrate passion for the subject? Should I watch tutorials and make my own game or program? Should I complete a specific, respected course online? Thanks :smile:
Original post by speckled-bullfig
I'm currently studying A levels in Mathematics, History and English and am predicted at least AAA. I'm planning on going on to study mathematics at uni (as it is my favourite subject) but I would like to pair it with something like computer science in a joint honours as I hear this is a more beneficial route.

I have done plenty of extra curriculars in maths over the years, so in my personal statement it'll be easy to prove my interest and competency. However, in terms of computer science, as I have not officially studied it before I feel like this will be a challenge. I've completed a 30 hour beginner python program online, and I did enjoy it, however I did not receive a certificate at the end for completion. So the purpose of this post is to ask, how can I demonstrate passion for the subject? Should I watch tutorials and make my own game or program? Should I complete a specific, respected course online? Thanks :smile:

Many universities offering computer science courses often recommend applicants to do Further Mathematics, so I think it will good for you to spend time covering them(AS level) if you haven't done them yet. Learning a programming language definitely do show your interest towards computer science, and try to program the complicated concept you have learned while you were learning advanced maths in Python, then talk through how it went and what you've learned from it in your personal statement! Also, you can read books related to maths & computer science, which you can find from Cambridge website.

I will be applying to universities this year for computer science, so I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending