The Student Room Group

Access course for Pharmacy

I didn't meet my offer for pharmacy this year as my grades were not good enough.
I don't feel like I'd be able to re-take my exams and was wondering if i could get onto pharmacy by doing an access course that starts in September and apply to pharmacy again for 2024 entry?
Original post by BBambiS
I didn't meet my offer for pharmacy this year as my grades were not good enough.
I don't feel like I'd be able to re-take my exams and was wondering if i could get onto pharmacy by doing an access course that starts in September and apply to pharmacy again for 2024 entry?

Yes, but it depends on:

Whether the uni you want to go to accepts it - some don't

Which Access course you're doing and whether you have enough credits in Chemistry (at least 15)

Whether the uni admissions team be OK with the Access on top of your A Levels - something only the admissions team would be able to answer

The possible MPharm degrees you can do (since they need to be accredited) are listed here: https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/education/approved-providers-education-and-training/accredited-mpharm-degrees (definitely saves you doing a lot of googling)

Aston - not accepted
Bath - A pass in the Access to HE Diploma (in Science or Science and Engineering) with 33 credits at Distinction in Science or Mathematics units and 6 credits at Merit or above. This must include 15 credits in Chemistry units achieved at Distinction.
Birmingham - not specified, so assume no (need to contact them to clarify)
Bradford - 128 UCAS tariff points from an Access to Higher Education Diploma - Science subject required. Must include a minimum of 12 credits of Chemistry or Biology at Distinction and 12 credits at Distinction in one other Science subject.
Cardiff - not specified - see Birmingham's comment
UCLan - not specified - see Birmingham's comment
DeMonfort - Pass Access to Science HE diploma overall with 120 UCAS tariff, with 15 level three chemistry credits at distinction, and 15 credits at merit in other science subjects (biology, maths, physics, psychology). English Language and Maths GCSE grade C/ 4 required as separate qualifications. Equivalency not accepted within the Access qualification.
Brighton - Pass with 60 credits overall. Must include 24 credits at distinction in biology and chemistry. At least 45 credits at level 3, with 30 credits at distinction.
UCL - Pass in Access to HE Diploma with a minimum of 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit, all from Level 3 units. Please note, where subject specific requirements are stipulated at A level we may review your Access to HE syllabus to ensure you meet the subject specific requirements prior to a final decision being communicated. This qualification is not accepted where applicants have not previously studied beyond GCSE standard or have not achieved the required grades at A-level. - so probably no in your case
Hertfordshire - not specified - see Birmingham's comment
UEA - not accepted for MPharm, but accepted if you do the foundation year
Huddersfield - If you are studying an Access to Higher Education Diploma please contact the Admissions Tutor who will give you advice about your application.
Keele - 128 UCAS points in an Access to HE Diploma with Biology or Chemistry related content, including Distinction in at least 30 Level 3 credits and Merit in at least 15 Level 3 credits. Please contact the University Admissions Team for advice on whether your chosen course would qualify. 6 / C in GCSE Maths or Level 3 Functional Skills Maths, plus an English language qualification (see below)
KCL - Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits overall: 33 credits must be from units awarded at Distinction, with 12 at Merit. The Access to Higher Education Diploma must include at least 15 Level 3 credits in Chemistry awarded at Distinction, and at least 15 Level 3 credits awarded at Distinction in one from Biology, Mathematics or Physics. The Access to Higher Education Diploma must be in a relevant subject - Science, or similar - to be considered. Notes: Functional Skills, and Numeracy/Literacy modules studied within an Access to HE diploma, are not accepted for this programme to meet the GCSE/IGCSE requirements
Kingston - We will consider a range of alternative qualifications such as an Access Course in Applied Science which has been passed with 128 UCAS points. Applicants must also hold an A Level in Chemistry with a minimum of a grade B.
Lincoln - Access to Higher Education Diploma: 45 Level 3 credits with a minimum of 128 UCAS Tariff points, including 40 points from 15 credits in Biology or Chemistry and 15 credits in a second Science subject.
Liverpool John Moore - Acceptable on its own and combined with other qualifications Applicants must achieve a Distinction in all of the graded level three Access programme modules. Biology and Chemistry must be covered.
Medway - not accepted
Manchester - We require 60 credits overall with 45 at Level 3, including a minimum of 15 credits in Chemistry with a Distinction grade, plus a minimum of 15 credits in Mathematics or Biology with a Distinction grade and the remaining 15 credits at Distinction grade. You should also have at least five GCSEs or IGCSEs; four at minimum grade B/5 (including English Language) and Mathematics at grade B/6. Students educated up to GCSE level who have only taken a one-year Access course will not normally be accepted. Students will not be considered if they have resat any units or have re-taken the full year.
Portsmouth - not specified - see Birmingham's comment
Queen Uni Belfast - not accepted
Nottingham - accepted, but would be assessed on an individual basis i.e. contact the pharmacy school's undergrad admissions to check
Newcastle - 45 level 3 credits at Distinction including at least 15 level 3 credits in chemistry and at least 15 level 3 credits in biology, mathematics or physics. Offers are made subject to satisfying fitness to practise conditions.
Reading - not specified - see Birmingham's comment
Robert Gordon - not specified - see Birmingham's comment (they do accept alternative qualifications)
Strathclyde - not specified - see Birmingham's comment
Sunderland - We accept Access to Higher Education Diploma which must include Distinctions in Chemistry and one other science.
Swansea - not specified - see Birmingham's comment (they do accept alternative qualifications)
Ultser - Only science based Access courses are acceptable and must include Chemistry. Overall profile of 39 credits at Distinction and 6 credits at Merit to include Distinctions in all Chemistry modules. (60 credit Access Course) (GB Access Course).
Wolverhampton - Access to HE Diploma (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 (128 UCAS point equivalence, minimum 30 credits at distinction) in either a Health Professions, a science subject or medicine. We would expect to see 15 level 3 credits studied in Chemistry and 15 credits in another Maths or Science subject matter to be eligible for entry.

I have not gone through the accredited foundation/prepatory year MPharm courses. I will let you do the research for that yourself using the GPhC website. Do note, just because Access is not accepted for the MPharm degree, it doesn't mean it won't be accepted for the foundation year e.g. UEA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending