The Student Room Group

Engineering

I’m doing engineering and applied science as btec subjects in sixth form however I was unable to get into A level maths. I’m told tho that there will be a maths paper during my engineering course and I’m wondering if that will allow me to get into university for aerospace engineering. I am also unsure of what a level will back up my maths.
Original post by Carlton Chamila
I’m doing engineering and applied science as btec subjects in sixth form however I was unable to get into A level maths. I’m told tho that there will be a maths paper during my engineering course and I’m wondering if that will allow me to get into university for aerospace engineering. I am also unsure of what a level will back up my maths.

What size of BTECs are they? Are they BTEC National Level 3 Extended Certificates? These are worth the equivalent of 1 A level each. So are you just doing the equivalent of 2 A levels?
Without A-level mathematics you will probably struggle with the degree content, I recommend maths & further maths A-levels as strong preparation for the degree. Aerospace engineering is inherently analytical.
Original post by DataVenia
What size of BTECs are they? Are they BTEC National Level 3 Extended Certificates? These are worth the equivalent of 1 A level each. So are you just doing the equivalent of 2 A levels?

Yes they are both at level 3. Do you know any other subjects that will help with these 2.
Original post by mnot
Without A-level mathematics you will probably struggle with the degree content, I recommend maths & further maths A-levels as strong preparation for the degree. Aerospace engineering is inherently analytical.

Do you reckon the maths I will do as a part of the engineering course will help. I didn’t get into maths but do you know any alternatives.
Do you reckon the maths I will do as a part of the engineering course will help. I didn’t get into maths but do you know any alternatives.

Nope, you need a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra (this is the essential stuff to be competent at before university) ... & ideally you would also have an understanding of functions, trig identities, stats & complex numbers.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by mnot
Nope, you need a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra (this is the essential stuff to be competent at before university) ... & ideally you would also have an understanding of functions, trig identities, stats & complex numbers.

Oh, maybe aerospace engineering isn’t for me then.
Yes they are both at level 3. Do you know any other subjects that will help with these 2.

The "Level 3" part of the qualification name tells you it's the same complexity / difficulty as an A level. I was asking about it's "size", because some people take Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level) each and some people take an Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels). There are also Certificates, Diplomas and Foundation Diplomas - all of which are BTEC Nationals Level 3. However, the fact that you're asking about "other subjects" suggest that you planning to do three BTECs, which suggests that they are indeed Extended Certificates.

Bristol would have potentially considered you for their MEng Aerospace Engineering course without a Maths A level, but only if you'd been taking a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) in Engineering, rather than three separate BTEC Extended Certificates. "D*DD in either Engineering BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, with Distinctions in four required Physics units, plus A in Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent), or in Applied Science BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, with Distinctions in five required Chemistry units, plus A in Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent). Applicants taking Engineering BTEC may be invited to take the University of Bristol mathematics test in place of A-level Mathematics." (source)

University of Central Lancashire don't need Maths A level either, but like Bristol they want you to have done a single Extended Diploma in Engineering. "BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM in Engineering including Maths units" (source)

The same for Kingston: "Alternatively, BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering or related subject such as Aerospace/Aeronautical/Electrical/Electronic/Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering will be considered (grades DMM)." (source)

And Brighton: "BTEC Extended Diploma DMM. Must include further maths for engineering techs." (source)

And City: "D*DD in Engineering (First teaching Sept 2016) with minimum grade D in units 1 - Engineering Principles, 7 - Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems and 8 - Further Engineering Mathematics."

Nottingham Trent too: "We accept the BTEC Extended Diplomas below. If you are studying a different BTEC Extended Diploma you will also need a suitable level 3 Mathematics qualification.
Extended Diploma in Engineering
Extended Diploma in Electronic Engineering
Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering." (source)

It certainly seems that without A levels maths, you'd need a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth three A levels) in Engineering, rather than three separate BTEC Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level each). Having said that, you could try contacting some of the above and asking.
Original post by DataVenia
The "Level 3" part of the qualification name tells you it's the same complexity / difficulty as an A level. I was asking about it's "size", because some people take Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level) each and some people take an Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels). There are also Certificates, Diplomas and Foundation Diplomas - all of which are BTEC Nationals Level 3. However, the fact that you're asking about "other subjects" suggest that you planning to do three BTECs, which suggests that they are indeed Extended Certificates.

Bristol would have potentially considered you for their MEng Aerospace Engineering course without a Maths A level, but only if you'd been taking a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) in Engineering, rather than three separate BTEC Extended Certificates. "D*DD in either Engineering BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, with Distinctions in four required Physics units, plus A in Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent), or in Applied Science BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, with Distinctions in five required Chemistry units, plus A in Mathematics at A-level (or equivalent). Applicants taking Engineering BTEC may be invited to take the University of Bristol mathematics test in place of A-level Mathematics." (source)

University of Central Lancashire don't need Maths A level either, but like Bristol they want you to have done a single Extended Diploma in Engineering. "BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM in Engineering including Maths units" (source)

The same for Kingston: "Alternatively, BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering or related subject such as Aerospace/Aeronautical/Electrical/Electronic/Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering will be considered (grades DMM)." (source)

And Brighton: "BTEC Extended Diploma DMM. Must include further maths for engineering techs." (source)

And City: "D*DD in Engineering (First teaching Sept 2016) with minimum grade D in units 1 - Engineering Principles, 7 - Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems and 8 - Further Engineering Mathematics."

Nottingham Trent too: "We accept the BTEC Extended Diplomas below. If you are studying a different BTEC Extended Diploma you will also need a suitable level 3 Mathematics qualification.
Extended Diploma in Engineering
Extended Diploma in Electronic Engineering
Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering." (source)

It certainly seems that without A levels maths, you'd need a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth three A levels) in Engineering, rather than three separate BTEC Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level each). Having said that, you could try contacting some of the above and asking.

Thank you. Really appreciate this!

Quick Reply

Latest