The Student Room Group

Can I still get a Distinction in Further Maths?

In Assignment 1 I have received a pass and a distinction in assignment 2 & 3
Original post by yaseenuy
In Assignment 1 I have received a pass and a distinction in assignment 2 & 3

What qualification is this for?

You've posted this in "BTEC and other vocational qualifications" forum, which might suggest it's a BTEC, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a BTEC in Further Maths. AQA do a "Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics", but that's not graded as pass/merit/distinction and doesn't have assignments (it's exam based). I can't think of any Further Maths qualifications which are assignment-based, but clearly you're taking one.
Reply 2
Original post by datavenia
what qualification is this for?

You've posted this in "btec and other vocational qualifications" forum, which might suggest it's a btec, but i'm pretty sure there isn't a btec in further maths. Aqa do a "level 2 certificate in further mathematics", but that's not graded as pass/merit/distinction and doesn't have assignments (it's exam based). I can't think of any further maths qualifications which are assignment-based, but clearly you're taking one.

further maths in a unit in level 3 engineering
Original post by yaseenuy
further maths in a unit in level 3 engineering

Ah, in that case definitely not. :frown:

Each assessment contains a series of "assessment criteria", which are each associated with a Pass, Merit or Distinction. As they say in the specification here:

"When a learner has completed all the assessments for a unit then the assessment team will give a grade for the unit. This is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria. Therefore:
to achieve a Distinction, a learner must have satisfied all the Distinction criteria (and therefore the Pass and Merit criteria); these define outstanding performance across the unit as a whole
to achieve a Merit, a learner must have satisfied all the Merit criteria (and therefore the Pass criteria) through high performance in each learning aim
to achieve a Pass, a learner must have satisfied all the Pass criteria for the learning aims, showing coverage of the unit content and therefore attainment at Level 3 of the national framework."

(I added the bold for clarity / emphasis.)

As you only achieved a Pass in assignment 1, you cannot have met all the Merit (or Distinction) criteria for the unit. Accordingly, your grade for the unit will be a Pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending