The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alittlehelp
a lot of my friends put hiv and aids for the last question on non communicable diseases, anyone else?

I did that...then re-read the question, saw NON-communicable, crossed a page worth of writing out and wrote about CHD instead :/

UGH I found that exam sooo hard, harder than my mock (Jan2011) and any past papers...just praying the grade boundaries are low.

Does anyone else really hate the way that AQA a) use a load of pictures - I got maybe 3 marks on the rivers picture, and maybe 3 on the deserts picture :/ and b) ask us such stupid open-ended questions eg. "Discuss..."
Reply 181
I messed it up so badd, I was literally going from one question in one topic to another in a another topic! I had no method! Even if the grade boundaries are low I realllly have not done wellllll! Wish I could redo it but time manage! I cant stop thinking about it and its stoppping me from revising the rest of my exams!
Original post by teb.93
Chill - last year it was around 50% raw for an A :cookie:

exactamondo :biggrin:
Original post by S_123
There are so many new users on this thread hmmm...:colonhash:
I've really ****ed it up from seeing what the answers were from some of the comments on here :cry2:

what do you think went wrong?
Reply 184
Original post by Priya*3*
WOW reli, but did u do reli reli well on section A?
I mean i think i generally did ok, but it reli wasnt what i expected, I kinda waffled a lil on section A.

Not sure how but I got an A too, and I had missed out a question because I was a muppet and didnt see it. it is a hard exam, its a mark a minute
Original post by huggies55
no you do 70(raw mark to get an A)/112 (ums for A)= 0.625
0.625*140 ums = 87.5 marks to get full ums

btw, we already established you're method is wrong, but so is your arithmetic. 70+ (2*12)= 70 + 24 = 94 NOT 84

Yes, my arithmetic was wrong, cool story bro.

But how can you confirm that your method is correct, not withstanding that no one else established that my method was "wrong", so your use of 'we' is irrelevant.
Reply 186
Original post by student1234567891
what do you think went wrong?

All my 15 markers :frown:
Original post by S_123
All my 15 markers :frown:

oh same, after rivers i reckon i got about 8 per 15 marker since there was no way to apply case studies!
Reply 188

oh same, after rivers i reckon i got about 8 per 15 marker since there was no way to apply case studies!

yes there was
Reply 189
Original post by Schvoogle

Original post by Schvoogle
Anyone else do the health topic? I couldn't find the term 'non-communicable' in any AS Geography textbooks?! I should've used my common sense, but after 1 hour & 50 minutes that was in short supply & I ended up writing a 2 page speil on HIV/AIDS :frown: Will I get any marks if I still described the impacts?

type 2 diabetes :wink:
Reply 190

I managed to apply case studies in the others but I don't think I actually answered the question for ANY of the 15 markers. The DMT question was definitely the worst though since I didn't know any of the answers. Geography is one of my best subjects so I feel so disappointed with myself.
Original post by teb.93
Chill - last year it was around 50% raw for an A :cookie:

yeah, but in January the raw mark for an A was 71/120 = 59%
and they're increasing the raw marks gradually for each paper from now on, because the chief examiner said getting 50% for an A is ridiculous (not that i'm complaining :P) they're aiming to get to 70-80% for an A eventually.

Maybe this year they'll increase it to 60/65% (?) We'll see in August!
Original post by eilrahc
yes there was

oh yeah so strengths and weaknesses of the dtm, you could mention some countries, that's about it. why don't you just pee off you self-righteous prat. :angry:
Original post by S_123
I managed to apply case studies in the others but I don't think I actually answered the question for ANY of the 15 markers. The DMT question was definitely the worst though since I didn't know any of the answers. Geography is one of my best subjects so I feel so disappointed with myself.

that's what i'm talking about! :mad:
Original post by neilfadams
yeah, but in January the raw mark for an A was 71/120 = 59%
and they're increasing the raw marks gradually for each paper from now on, because the chief examiner said getting 50% for an A is ridiculous (not that i'm complaining :P) they're aiming to get to 70-80% for an A eventually.

Maybe this year they'll increase it to 60/65% (?) We'll see in August!

David Redfern said at the conference that an A will be around 71 raw marks. It is based on the top 20% of marks from around the globe and there are no pre-set boundaries.
Reply 195
Oh god I might as welll drop out of sixth form if 71 is an A, that means a B what like 60 something, wont make that either :/
Can anybody who did the paper last year (when the grade boundary was 50%ish for an A) compare how difficult it was to this years?

Also, for the rivers 15 marker, it didn't mention anything about case studies... would I be docked marks for not mentioning case studies? :/
Reply 197
Original post by tehforum
Yes, my arithmetic was wrong, cool story bro.

But how can you confirm that your method is correct, not withstanding that no one else established that my method was "wrong", so your use of 'we' is irrelevant.

I meant me and you, I think. Idk, maybe I was meant to say I.
And I can't confirm my method is correct, none else is talking about it cz these estimates can be completely off the mark as the exam boards calculate it using everyone's results, which we don't have
Just cross your fingers and hope for the best, and revise for unit 2
on the health 15 marker will i get any marks for writing about malnutrition as it does cause non communicable disease?
Reply 199
Unit 2 can only boost ones mark up if they are close to a certain grade in Unit 1, like 4/5 marks off or something? Not if they are like 10 marks off right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending