The Student Room Group

How hard are GCSEs?

Are GCSEs actually really hard? I've seen people on this forum with 7A*s+ which really surprised me... :colondollar:

Is it actually as hard as it turns out to be? I will be taking them in 2 weeks.

Also, did you study every day? (to people with A*s)

thanks
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please let the title be intentionally ironic...
Reply 2
Piece of pis* when compared to A-levels. Good luck. Just make sure you revise thoroughly and you're well prepared.
Hardest thing you will ever do. Prepare to die, child....
Reply 4
Study hard for your English Language paper.
GCSEs is not hard very.

But srsnow, I probably studied 3 hours a day before my exams came up. Effective revision>Quantity of revision. Grades in sig..
Ignore people who say they're easy... they are easy relative to A Levels and degree, but at the time of doing them, they're hard.

Are you going in y10? No need to study every day, just do homework/extra reading if you want and start revising around a month or so before your exams start. Don't push yourself too hard at this stage or you'll burn out come A Levels. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Josh_Dey
Are GCSEs actually really hard? I've seen people on this forum with 7A*s+ which really surprised me... :colondollar:

thanks

The grades of A*/A by the students on TSR are extremely unrepresentative. C grade is called average for a reason. Compared to A Level, GCSEs hardly penetrate the surface.
Reply 8
As long as you study until you can confidently answer exam style questions, they should be a breeze. Revision is the key to a wonderful report. Good luck to you, wish you all the best!
Reply 9
GCSE's are quite easy.

but I studied quite a lot.

everyday isn't that much. an hour in the morning and then a few hours later in the day ( if you are on study leave )

PAST PAPERS do them. revise any questions you get stuck on
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
GCSE's are like taking a big dump - short bursts of concentration should get you through

A-levels are like giving birth - you have to maintain consistency throughout

A degree is like "some analogy here" i.e. you have to do everything yourself
If you've put the work in then you'll find you get good grades but they're not necessarily easy. If you picked GCSEs you enjoy and are good at then you're likely to do very well because GCSEs aren't as hard as they're made out to be by teachers...
depends on the person.
how much you study
how much you care
and if you turn up still pissed to any of them...

for me they wernt that easy... but i still got what i needed to get to where i am today...
The only people that can say GCSE's are easy are the people that got all A*s.
If they didn't clearly they weren't that easy.

To be able to get decent grades you need to start studying weeks before the exam - not just an hour before the actual exam like I did for my SG's haha.
Reply 14
GSCEs are very very easy :wink: I hardly ever studied at home during secondary school, just before the exams.. I ended up with As and a B in textiles :P Wish I studied a bit more though as more basic knowledge would probably help at the start of A levels .
They're almost impossible.
Several daily hours of toil should get you through with Bs. You need a lot of natural ability to get higher grades than those.
In fact, the two years of A levels that follow GCSEs are a pleasant break from the stress before uni.
They aren't 'easy', but nor are they 'hard'. I'd say it was more a case of, formulaic learning and understanding what the examiner wants, and you'll do well. The actual content and exams are not hard to get your head around if you practised a lot. It does depend on the individual, though, and not everyone finds things the same as others. Put the work in and you'll be fine.
Reply 17
Original post by Josh_Dey

thanks

Yeah compared to a-levels gcses are so so easy; at the time they're not but in hindsight they are..

Good luck! I've already sat 4 of my 9 exams (one of which is an A2 exam)
Reply 18
There is a huge gap between GSCE and A level though.. I remember turning up to my first a level maths lessons and was like - wtf?
I find the workload in year 12 not much higher than when I did GCSEs. You're taking 4-5 subjects only anyway! The reason why A-levels scare people off so badly is because there are much more 'hurdles' to jump over but if you're used to staying on top of work from GCSEs, it's really not all that bad (for sciences at least, idk about humanities).

GCSEs are fine if you can remember loads of info & can pull it through the week before the exams :biggrin:

Best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest