The Student Room Group

Hair extensions (please help!!)

So my hair is really damaged, I'm thinking of getting it cut to shoulder length.
But short hair REALLY doesn't suit me. So I was thinking of hair extensions. I would have about £200 to spend on them.

Can anyone please recommend some good ones?

I have medium blonde hair.
I want them between 18" - 22".
I think I'd want human hair because it'd look more real.
And I think I'd have to get clip-in ones because real ones are a lot more than £200?

Please let me know :smile:
Definitely go for human hair, it looks more natural and healthy, compared to synthetic hair.
Clip in hair extensions are the better option, if you get the sewn or glued in extensions, they will destroy your hair! My friend had the glued in ones...she now has bald patches, her hair is all different lengths, and clumpy bits of glue at the top where it's brushing out.
Depending on where abouts you are, depends on where to suggest getting some from. If you live anywhere near Watford, I hear they do great extensions there, and for reasonable prices, eg: £60, and they are great condition and last ages.
Reply 2
Original post by Vikki1805
Definitely go for human hair, it looks more natural and healthy, compared to synthetic hair.
Clip in hair extensions are the better option, if you get the sewn or glued in extensions, they will destroy your hair! My friend had the glued in ones...she now has bald patches, her hair is all different lengths, and clumpy bits of glue at the top where it's brushing out.
Depending on where abouts you are, depends on where to suggest getting some from. If you live anywhere near Watford, I hear they do great extensions there, and for reasonable prices, eg: £60, and they are great condition and last ages.

Thanks for replying :smile:
What do you think of these?
http://www.extensionelle.co.uk/SilkyStraightClip-InExtensions(PremiumPlus)-686
Reply 3
Original post by Vikki1805

Also I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to put them in myself, are they really difficult to put in? (that is if you have clip-in extensions)
Original post by loveyouforaday
Also I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to put them in myself, are they really difficult to put in? (that is if you have clip-in extensions)

It's probably a better idea to buy the extensions in person, and not over the internet, because if you go to a shop/stall they can match up the extensions, perfectly to your hair colour, so they will blend in easier.
I don't use hair extensions anymore, although I used to, and they can be really tricky to clip in by yourself, at first you may need someone to help, but eventually you get used to doing it, it's just trying to make sure every clip is covered and secure.
I recommend Head Kandy extensions. Mine were only £75 and they match my hair perfectly and they're 20" long.
Reply 6
I definitely recommend FoxyLocks extensions. They come with the clips already attached and are amazing quality. I love mine! http://www.foxylocksextensions.com/
Reply 7
Original post by Sazzle4
I definitely recommend FoxyLocks extensions. They come with the clips already attached and are amazing quality. I love mine! http://www.foxylocksextensions.com/

Thanks:smile: I was looking at those and they seem good, but none of the colours look like my hair at all.

http://foxylocksextensions.com/category_10/Clip-In-Hair-Extensions-150-grams.htm

My hair is this kind of colour:

http://jenniferanistonhaircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Jennifer-Aniston-NY-Bounty-Hunter.jpg

So what would you reccomend? Getting 'honey blonde' and getting highlights put through the extensions by a hairdresser?

Are they easy to put in?
Reply 8
Original post by JoanneMacLeod
I recommend Head Kandy extensions. Mine were only £75 and they match my hair perfectly and they're 20" long.

Thanks! do you think they would blend in well with shoulder length thin damaged hair or would it be really noticeable? Also are they easy to put in?
Reply 9
Thanks:smile: I was looking at those and they seem good, but none of the colours look like my hair at all.

http://foxylocksextensions.com/category_10/Clip-In-Hair-Extensions-150-grams.htm

My hair is this kind of colour:

http://jenniferanistonhaircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Jennifer-Aniston-NY-Bounty-Hunter.jpg

So what would you reccomend? Getting 'honey blonde' and getting highlights put through the extensions by a hairdresser?

Are they easy to put in?

If you find the Imogen FoxyLocks page on facebook or twitter you can send her a picture and she'll advise you on the best colour to get. Based on what you just showed me I think Toffee Blonde is probably going to be better than honey blonde. I have the honey blonde ones myself and my hair is much lighter than the picture you've posted there.
Thanks! do you think they would blend in well with shoulder length thin damaged hair or would it be really noticeable? Also are they easy to put in?

Yeah they'd blend in fine :biggrin: and they are reaaally easy to put in. Just clip them in correctly and you're ready to go ;D
My hair's pretty short, but here's photo's of me with my extensions in just to show you what they're like and how realistic they are :biggrin:

this is them curled :smile:

straightened :biggrin:
Original post by JoanneMacLeod
Yeah they'd blend in fine :biggrin: and they are reaaally easy to put in. Just clip them in correctly and you're ready to go ;D
My hair's pretty short, but here's photo's of me with my extensions in just to show you what they're like and how realistic they are :biggrin:

this is them curled :smile:

straightened :biggrin:

Aw the links don't work :frown: thanks for your help though, I'm excited to get them now :smile:
Take care with clip ins because I know people who have had hair breakage due to the clips, especially if your hair is a) thin and b) damaged.
Unlike glue, sewn in extensions are kinder on the hair and you could get that done for 200 quid including hair. Also, as your hair is thin anyway, I'd recommend getting two packs of hair to make it look like a full head of hair (at 18-22 inches can cost around 30 quid per pack for good quality). Then I'd recommend getting them done at an afro-caribbean hairdresser as they usually do extensions at a more competitive price. Actually you can usually buy hair there at good prices too :smile:
My friend recently did a blog post on halo hair extensions. You can read her review here: http://sammy-city.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-sister-recently-bought-some-halo.html
Reply 14
Do not use Extensionelle the hair is poor quality and there after sales is awful and if you return the hair they do not refund 100% they keep £30. Total rip off
I can't say as i've ever had that problem Donnaneale. I've used Foxy, Halo and Extensionelle before and now always use Extensionelle because they offer good choice and I have found the AAAA grade hair is amazing. I bought the Indian and the Russian and sew the clips on myself and both have lasted me over 8 months now, wearing them at least 4 times a week. Customer service wise they have always been very helpful when I have ever called for some advice on which ones to go for. I returned an item for exchange too and had no problem. Maybe you just had a one off but I can't recommend them enough.
Remi hair extensions are less money and can still be very good. No need to spend £200. I'd only spend that money on real hair extensions that you get put in your hair.

Just to let you know, hair doesn't grow with hair extensions in every day if they're clip in. Not really.

I did the same as you. Got them because my hair was cut quite short by a silly hairdresser and my hair grew about 2 cm over the next 4 years. It pulls on your hair, and damages it. If you get them, I'd avoid wearing them around the house or when you really don't need to, buy intense masks and strengthening conditioners to keep your hair strong as it can be and use heat protector sprays and the lot if you ever straighten or curl your hair with the extensions in.

If you're trying to grow your hair, I really wouldn't recommend them, though.

Personal experience - used them from age 14 to 18.
Extensionelle are awful, their customer service is completely ridiculous and they try to squeeze every penny out of it. I genuinely don't know how it is legal for them to keep money from an item which has been returned. Their Terms and conditions are hilarious and they don't stand up when it comes to paypal helping people out. AVOID! There is a great company called VIRGIN HAIR & BEAUTY who have amazing hair and the woman who runs it is kind and not rude like the people behind extensionelle. Good luck!
Reply 18
Hair extension is good also but proper hair extension should be done carefully otherwise it could be cause problem and itchy to our scalp so while taking an hair extension then we have to check it out properly.
Original post by username677182

The newest and most popular 100 human hair extension attached to a clip for people who want to give their hairstyle a new look. This clip in hair extension is full of volume and length. Detailed with a natural wavy texture, these pieces blend well with your existing hair for an undetectable look. Also, you can go with indique extensions as they are affordable and made of real human hairs too. Currently,I'm using that one only.

Quick Reply

Latest