The Student Room Group

My university does not allow essay extensions for dyslexia?

Hi all,

I am diagnosed as dyslexic and my diagnosis document says i should get 25% extra time in exams an essays. However, my university does not allow me to be able to get a 7 day extension sometimes becuase of dyslexia not being a valid reason as i have support in place and that i should be able to ‘manage’ my dyslexia. All other universities seem to be able to provide flexible adjustments, but mines policy doesnt allow this? My DSA support said I should challenge it but jusy wanting to know your guys experience at university regarding this? Thanks!
Are you registered with the uni disability office and what have they said about this? Some unis are better at dealing with disability-related requests than others, sadly (my undergrad uni refused to take my psychosis into account in the grading of exams counting towards my classification because they "didn't know how would have done in the exams had I not had psychosis" :nothing:

I'd definitely try to contest your uni's statement (depending on what their exact wording was), if you have the energy to do so :yes:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey,

I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. I know it all too well. I have autism and ADHD, and according to my University, it isn't a reason for an extension because "I was born with it and should take this into account when I start my work", which is not particularly helpful. They clearly don't understand how these conditions manifest and that some things are more of a struggle than others. I contested a couple of decisions with success. I am lucky enough to have a psychiatrist that was able to write evidence letters, so I would definitely recommend doing that if possible. If not, I would get people close to you (parents, flatmates etc.) to write a statement saying how it has impacted your work and that it was out of your control (make sure they make this really clear). If you kick up enough of a fuss, they will often accept the extension.

Good luck!
Reply 3
My name is Hannah Giardelli, I am an MSc student studying Psychology and Education. I am looking for participants for my dissertation research project about the impact of sleep on memory consolidation for university students with dyslexia.

Participants should be university students, either with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia. Participation would involve completing a short memory task that should take no more than half an hour on one day and then another short task (no more than 10 minutes) the next day, following a period of overnight delay and sleep.

If you are interested in participating in this research project, please click the following link: https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/5FC17CB1-CEA3-44AC-9B80-D8B83C2695C8

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me

This project has received ethical approval from the University of Sheffield.
Thank you for considering taking part,

Hannah Giardelli
Reply 4
Hi,
Have you had a meeting with the uni advisor to talk about other adjustments that would be useful like over zoom or in person or has this all been done over email
In my experince of ASD and mental health issues in the individualised learning plan it doesn't say that I get automatic extensions but if I apply for an extension I don't have to provide any information and they have to agree unless a real reason which can be appealed
I think at my uni they do this so if you keep needing the extensions they look into what support you need that they aren't giving you that means you are struggling
I now realise that this was posted 4 months ago but hope you get the help that you need

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending