The Student Room Group

CCEA Maths C4 1st June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i got 3000 something cm3 or 5000 something cm3 - i did it twice with different limits (15 to 0 and -12 to 3)

was that the eqn of the tangent? emm think i got -3 for the gradient, cant remember the co-ordinates wbu?

the last qu was sooo bad
Reply 21
yea i got -3 as well.....

Last one...i kind of got part 1......then for part 2 and part 3 i just used same formula again...

Did u get that differential eq one......?? I got k= 0.15 i think...

Also did u get R= Root 20 and angle 63 for question 3.....the R sigma formula question...
Reply 22
i got -0.15 for that one but i didnt use partial fractions. how many marks do you think we will lose?? did your classmates get the same as that?

yes for the root and angle :smile:
Reply 23
oh what did you get for the function question?
Reply 24
Hopefully get about 7 or 8........are u sure that just the differential equation part is worth 14 marks....i didnt even check it...lol....ran out of time...

Functions I got -x....think its wrong....didnt do domain..

So what u hoping in the test...????

i am really hoping for atleast a C...
Reply 25
can you remember what you got for the function qu? the domain i think it asked for.

yep differential eqn was def out of 14 bc i remember being very worried lol i really dont know if we will get 7/8 out of 14 marks but i really really hope we arent penalised too much as it is a lot of marks to lose on one qu :frown:

tbh i need to average 78% in c4,c2 and s1 so i hope i didnt get less than that but i think i have
Reply 26
I think for the volume you had to find to a depth of 15cm, so I think that 3 and -12 were the limits they wanted to use, I got a volume of 4950cm^3 to 3 significant figures...anyone else get this? I have no idea what they wanted for the criticism however...it has no bottom/flat surface to rest on? I wrote that you have no idea which side is the top
Not a question to me however I think the answer for 2i was 1+x(dy/dx)+y and for 2ii I got y-5=-3(x-2) Which is y=-3x+11 I am not sure if that is correct though...
Reply 27
Original post by CHawthorne
I think for the volume you had to find to a depth of 15cm, so I think that 3 and -12 were the limits they wanted to use, I got a volume of 4950cm^3 to 3 significant figures...anyone else get this? I have no idea what they wanted for the criticism however...it has no bottom/flat surface to rest on? I wrote that you have no idea which side is the top
Not a question to me however I think the answer for 2i was 1+x(dy/dx)+y and for 2ii I got y-5=-3(x-2) Which is y=-3x+11 I am not sure if that is correct though...

i used those limits got something similar to you, got that equation for tangent as well.

i didnt do qu 6 the differential eqn correctly do you have any idea roughly how many marks i would lose bc i didnt use partial fractions? it was out of 14 and can i ask what you got for the domain of the function please?
Reply 28
For how many you lose, I have no idea, I am really not used to stuff like that popping up, 14 marks seems a bit stiff to knock you out of for a mistake, I would hazard down 4 to 7 in total perhaps, I would love a better estimate than that from an examiner, a friend or two of mine slipped up a little in that and I want them to do well...
For the domain of the function, it was the usual business-the range of f(x), I think it was x>2 however functions are very far from my strong suit.
*Edit-correcting a mistake, typed the wrong number.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
For how many you lose, I have no idea, I am really not used to stuff like that popping up, 14 marks seems a bit stiff to knock you out of for a mistake, I would hazard down 4 to 7 in total perhaps, I would love a better estimate than that from an examiner, a friend or two of mine slipped up a little in that and I want them to do well...
For the domain of the function, it was the usual business-the range of f(x), I think it was x>3 however functions are very far from my strong suit.

i just put x cant equal 2 but i am totally **** at functions lol i nearly passed out when i seen it was question 7!! i have done terrible could cry!!
Reply 30
For question 8 part (ii) if you didnt use part (i) to find the integrals and just integrated by parts would you lose all the marks? Because I'm getting worried that I've lost all 7 marks for that bit :frown:
Reply 31

I got those answers! For the criticism I said the bowl might not be constant thickness. For k in my differential equation I got 0.0405, (ln1.5)/10 ? Anyone else? Overall I thought the paper was alright, a lot better than some of the previous papers!
Reply 32
Original post by seans443
For question 8 part (ii) if you didnt use part (i) to find the integrals and just integrated by parts would you lose all the marks? Because I'm getting worried that I've lost all 7 marks for that bit :frown:

I'm the same with qu 6. Hopefully they mark nicely lol I used substitution integration for 8,ii) but don't ask me what rubbish I came up with lol
Reply 33
Original post by Rachel*
I got those answers! For the criticism I said the bowl might not be constant thickness. For k in my differential equation I got 0.0405, (ln1.5)/10 ? Anyone else? Overall I thought the paper was alright, a lot better than some of the previous papers!

I got the same as you for the differential equation, so hopefully thats a good sign! How did you do 8 part (ii) when it told you to use part (i) to integrate them two things?
Reply 34
Original post by becky2010
I'm the same with qu 6. Hopefully they mark nicely lol I used substitution integration for 8,ii) but don't ask me what rubbish I came up with lol

Yeah I'm hoping I get a nice lenient examiner, I'm not too confident about that happening though lol have most people you've talked to seemed to be doing well or not so well? I'm just thinking that if loads of people do badly then the grade boundaries might be a bit lower? Whereas if everyone does well then losing a few marks could cost you an A.
Reply 35
I got the same as you for the differential equation, so hopefully thats a good sign! How did you do 8 part (ii) when it told you to use part (i) to integrate them two things?

Yay, hopefully it is :smile: Em it wasn't very clear, I wasnt sure whether to use parts or use the result from part i). So I used log rules for part ii) and also did it by parts aswell and got the same answer which reassured me a bit.
Reply 36
Original post by Rachel*
Yay, hopefully it is :smile: Em it wasn't very clear, I wasnt sure whether to use parts or use the result from part i). So I used log rules for part ii) and also did it by parts aswell and got the same answer which reassured me a bit.

I just integrated by parts, so if you had to use log rules then chances are I'll be getting 0 out of 7 for that question :/ I'm frustrated because I should have done an awful lot better, because it wasnt a terribly difficult paper
Reply 37
I just integrated by parts, so if you had to use log rules then chances are I'll be getting 0 out of 7 for that question :/ I'm frustrated because I should have done an awful lot better, because it wasnt a terribly difficult paper

I'm sure you won't get 0. As I said, I didn't think the question was that clear. A lot of people I know just did it by parts as well, so I wouldn't worry too much. There's also probably a mark for '+ c' in both :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Rachel*
I'm sure you won't get 0. As I said, I didn't think the question was that clear. A lot of people I know just did it by parts as well, so I wouldn't worry too much. There's also probably a mark for '+ c' in both :smile:

Hmmm that makes me feel a bit less worried about it. I got 97 in C3 so I can afford to mess up slightly in this and still get an A* overall. But it could be touch and go whether I manage to get 83 in this, hopefully loads of people do bad and the grade boundaries are really low lol
Reply 39
Hmmm that makes me feel a bit less worried about it. I got 97 in C3 so I can afford to mess up slightly in this and still get an A* overall. But it could be touch and go whether I manage to get 83 in this, hopefully loads of people do bad and the grade boundaries are really low lol

Well done on C3! I'm assuming you did it in Jan? I did it a few weeks ago and it was such a lovely paper! One one the nicest I'd seen! Was very happy coming out of that exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending