The Student Room Group

CCEA Maths C4 1st June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rachel*
Well done on C3! I'm assuming you did it in Jan? I did it a few weeks ago and it was such a lovely paper! One one the nicest I'd seen! Was very happy coming out of that exam!

Thanks :smile: Yeah my school does it in January, which I was pretty happy with as it means I've one less test to worry about in May/June. It was pretty straight forward in January aswell if I remember correctly. I'd be gutted if messing up C4 means I don't get an A*, because all my other modules have been mid 90s so far. I've still do do S1 on the 8th though.
Reply 41
Right, a friend of mine who is a veritable maths genius agreed with me on question 6: k=0.0405which is (ln(3/2))/10 and c was ln(4/3). The domain was x>2 for 7ii, question 2i was 1+x(dy/dx) +y and 2ii was y=-3x+11 (you get full marks for y-5=-3(x-2) so no worries there) these are the answers that we are nearly certain are correct, 4i is around the 5000cm^3 mark. The criticism we agreed to be very odd-we have no idea what to say, that thickness suggestion sounds interesting, far better than mine.
Quick check-to get an A* C3 and C4 need to both be above 90 and you need to have an A grade to get the A*?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by CHawthorne
Right, a friend of mine who is a veritable maths genius agreed with me on question 6: k=0.0405which is (ln(3/2))/10 and c was ln(4/3). The domain was x>2 for 7ii, question 2i was 1+x(dy/dx) +y and 2ii was y=-3x+11 (you get full marks for y-5=-3(x-2) so no worries there) these are the answers that we are nearly certain are correct, 4i is around the 5000cm^3 mark. The criticism we agreed to be very odd-we have no idea what to say, that thickness suggestion sounds interesting, far better than mine.

Could you ask him if he has any idea how many marks I'll lose for integrating by parts in 8(ii) instead of using part (i)? I'm really panicking that I'm going to lose loads of marks on that one.
Reply 43
Original post by seans443
Thanks :smile: Yeah my school does it in January, which I was pretty happy with as it means I've one less test to worry about in May/June. It was pretty straight forward in January aswell if I remember correctly. I'd be gutted if messing up C4 means I don't get an A*, because all my other modules have been mid 90s so far. I've still do do S1 on the 8th though.

Yeah I wish my school allowed us to do that, would of liked a few less to do this month! I'm sure it'll all work out overall. Yep I've got stats on the 8th aswell, haven't looked at it in a while, haven't had time!
Reply 44
Original post by Rachel*
Yeah I wish my school allowed us to do that, would of liked a few less to do this month! I'm sure it'll all work out overall. Yep I've got stats on the 8th aswell, haven't looked at it in a while, haven't had time!

I'm in the same boat. I have physics on Monday afternoon, so my S1 revision won't start until Monday evening lol the questions are quite repetitive every year though so it shouldnt be too bad.
Reply 45
I'm in the same boat. I have physics on Monday afternoon, so my S1 revision won't start until Monday evening lol the questions are quite repetitive every year though so it shouldnt be too bad.

I've physics aswell! Going to do some stats tomorrow and then have the whole weekend to go over physics. Really hated the ccea A-level timetable this year. Have you got any exams after S1?
Reply 46
Original post by Rachel*
I've physics aswell! Going to do some stats tomorrow and then have the whole weekend to go over physics. Really hated the ccea A-level timetable this year. Have you got any exams after S1?

I'm leaving all my S1 until after Physics because I've got so much Physics to do, and it's going to take me ages to go through because it's all soooooo boring :frown: I wasnt a big fan of the timetable either, all the exams were just in a big cluster one after the other. No I'm finished after S1 fortunately. Have you many left?
Reply 47
I'm leaving all my S1 until after Physics because I've got so much Physics to do, and it's going to take me ages to go through because it's all soooooo boring :frown: I wasnt a big fan of the timetable either, all the exams were just in a big cluster one after the other. No I'm finished after S1 fortunately. Have you many left?

Not a huge fan of physics module 5 either! The mid to end of May was bad for me. All the science ones in one week :/ Yep 8th June is when I finish also! Cannot wait! :smile:
Original post by CHawthorne
If you mean question three, I did not however you did add the angle ? which is 67ish I believe to remove the 315 and get two results for ?, 15.6 and 111 degrees I believe, you should not need to change the limits.
Although it is possible that I am misunderstanding you, if I am then sorry.

As a personal question (my own): is anybody certain of the answer to question six? There was some uncertainty over whether it is positive or negative when I asked a few classmates.

How did you get 15.6, I only got 111 damn it. How many marks would i have lost :frown:
Original post by Rachel*
I got those answers! For the criticism I said the bowl might not be constant thickness. For k in my differential equation I got 0.0405, (ln1.5)/10 ? Anyone else? Overall I thought the paper was alright, a lot better than some of the previous papers!

Mate! I got -0.0405. It didn't say whether it was decaying or anything like that in the question though so i wasn't sure whether k was meant to be positive or negative for the final answer.
I think I said something along the lines of the curve wasn't constant throughout because the top of the bowl curved inwards a bit. Basically I just waffled for a couple of lines and hoped for the best lol ps I got the same value of k as you so hopefully that's a good sign. I'm really worried about losing marks on question 8 because I just integrated them by parts.

But that's what i did for parts (ii) and (iii) too! Tbf it wasn't very clear whether you should use the method from part (i) or the answer. What is right, i don't know :s-smilie:
Reply 51
Why would they allocate 13 marks for integration by parts doesn't make sense.
Reply 52
Yeah I'm hoping I get a nice lenient examiner, I'm not too confident about that happening though lol have most people you've talked to seemed to be doing well or not so well? I'm just thinking that if loads of people do badly then the grade boundaries might be a bit lower? Whereas if everyone does well then losing a few marks could cost you an A.

Yea I agree I hope everyone does badly lol as bad as it sounds but I don't care. although I don't think you have done badly you got the differential eqn right :-)
Reply 53
Original post by iseñorwilly23
But that's what i did for parts (ii) and (iii) too! Tbf it wasn't very clear whether you should use the method from part (i) or the answer. What is right, i don't know :s-smilie:

I really don't know either :s-smilie: Maybe if loads of people use parts they might accept it as an answer, thats probably quite unlikely though
I really don't know either :s-smilie: Maybe if loads of people use parts they might accept it as an answer, thats probably quite unlikely though

I keep hearing that you had to use log rules in them. Is this true? I seriously hope not otherwise i've just lost 7 marks!
Reply 55
I keep hearing that you had to use log rules in them. Is this true? I seriously hope not otherwise i've just lost 7 marks!

Sorry for the slow reply. I was talking to my Maths teacher about the paper and she said using parts for all of the last question is fine. According to her "if you use parts then you're using part (i)" so that put my mind at ease a bit.
Sorry for the slow reply. I was talking to my Maths teacher about the paper and she said using parts for all of the last question is fine. According to her "if you use parts then you're using part (i)" so that put my mind at ease a bit.

Oh thanks, I should be ok for that last question then. Although S1 was a bit pants today so an A may not be assured :frown:
Reply 57
Oh thanks, I should be ok for that last question then. Although S1 was a bit pants today so an A may not be assured :frown:

question 7?? wat the **** was that about! lol
Reply 58
Original post by becky2010
question 7?? wat the **** was that about! lol

Sorry to leech onto your conversation, but did you get the very last one in the S1 paper?
Reply 59
Original post by spocckka
Sorry to leech onto your conversation, but did you get the very last one in the S1 paper?

emm well i did get 1/9 but i think i may have bluffed it a bit i played about with the formulas in the booklet .. think i ended up using the third formula. did you find a way to get it? was a pretty hard question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending