The Student Room Group

English Lang and Lit exam 06/06/11

Anyone doing Edexcel English Language and Literature unit 1 Exploring Voices?

If so how are you revising? :frown:
And what did you get on your coursework? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by buxmann

I'm on OCR but you seem to be doing the same 'voices' topic as me...do you have to compare a transcript to a set text in one section and then do a section on a novel? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by WhatYouKnow
I'm on OCR but you seem to be doing the same 'voices' topic as me...do you have to compare a transcript to a set text in one section and then do a section on a novel? :smile:

Well kinda, on section A we analyse "voice" on two unseen texts. And then on Section B analyse "voice" on a preset novel. Anyway, how are you revising for it?
Reply 3
Original post by buxmann
Well kinda, on section A we analyse "voice" on two unseen texts. And then on Section B analyse "voice" on a preset novel. Anyway, how are you revising for it?

Yeah that's pretty similar. :smile: Erm there's a distinct lack of revision going on for English atm if I'm completely honest! I'm gonna do a load of past papers if I can, get a list of all the language words we need to know and memorise them and memorise quotes from the set novels we have. I don't know how else to revise - I think English is really hard to actually revise for :/
Reply 4
Original post by buxmann

Im doing edexcel unit 1 too

well im reading the book we all get so mine would be color purple, just refreshing it in my mind the themes, analysing...planning to do 2 essays a day so i get in the swing of writing in essays in a timed conditions..

for the spontaneous speech just looking at terminology and learning it so its able to be recognised in the text and use it to compare and contrast between audience purpose and context.

and i got a A for my coursework wbu ?
Hey, I need help with the Novel section for the Colour Purple, I need a list of common features of AAVE... like - Emission of third person inflection... and other simmilar gramatical and technical features. Can anyone help me out ?
Reply 6
Original post by Sana210693

well im reading the book we all get so mine would be color purple, just refreshing it in my mind the themes, analysing...planning to do 2 essays a day so i get in the swing of writing in essays in a timed conditions..

for the spontaneous speech just looking at terminology and learning it so its able to be recognised in the text and use it to compare and contrast between audience purpose and context.

I got an A too, 75/80. But i guess coursework has always been my strong point, but i totally mess the f**k up in the exam... I'm doing The Color Purple also - just hope Nettie's letters don't come up - they're about as boring as Britain's got talent
Reply 7
Original post by Adam storm paris
Hey, I need help with the Novel section for the Colour Purple, I need a list of common features of AAVE... like - Emission of third person inflection... and other simmilar gramatical and technical features. Can anyone help me out ?

It's Omission
- Infinitive form of the verb "to be" = 'he be looking at nettie'
- Non-standard use of syntax = 'How old she is?'
Reply 8
Original post by buxmann
I got an A too, 75/80. But i guess coursework has always been my strong point, but i totally mess the f**k up in the exam... I'm doing The Color Purple also - just hope Nettie's letters don't come up - they're about as boring as Britain's got talent

LOL aww , yeh i read the whole book y-day ! the letters near the end are so long ;o
hoping it something on religon or mens hostility , or female relationships sumn along them lines !
Yeah, I'm doing it too.

I got a C on the exam last year, 77/120. Need 82/120 on this paper and 82/120 on the A2 paper to get a B.

I cannot stand English. I'm not sure why, but it just seems so much harder to revise for than my other subjects. I can revise them from a set textbook, but the Edexcel just assumes you know everything from GCSE and doesn't even explain half of the key terms!
anyone doing aqa? could do with some help. i need an a!
Reply 11
Original post by sixthformstudent
anyone doing aqa? could do with some help. i need an a!

Nope. sorry doing edexcel? What topic do you do on AQA? Might be similar
Reply 12
Hey, I'm also doing the Edexcel Exploring Voices AS English exam paper. I am just flicking through some past papers given to me, seems like the Language sections consists of a small extract and requires you to name and explain 3 spoken language features then the second part asks you to explain how these function in the extract. Then part B is about analysing 2 extracts and anwser what the question asks you, including features of the spoken language.

Though I'm not sure about the Literature part of the exam, (I do Language + Literature). Is it just based on the novel? Do we use literary and some spoken language features to anwser the questions? i.e. Celies attitude towards men between so and so?

Thanks guys and good luck on Monday!
Reply 13
Original post by MehCactus
Hey, I'm also doing the Edexcel Exploring Voices AS English exam paper. I am just flicking through some past papers given to me, seems like the Language sections consists of a small extract and requires you to name and explain 3 spoken language features then the second part asks you to explain how these function in the extract. Then part B is about analysing 2 extracts and anwser what the question asks you, including features of the spoken language.

Though I'm not sure about the Literature part of the exam, (I do Language + Literature). Is it just based on the novel? Do we use literary and some spoken language features to anwser the questions? i.e. Celies attitude towards men between so and so?

Thanks guys and good luck on Monday!

You can incorporate it but its more about themes your asked for so towards men so how does she act at the beginning shes frightend of men, been exposed to abuse etc and how has she changed through the book to finding her a voice.

you have analyse what the themes asked in the questions , perhaps link it to other themes so i know there was a question on mens attitude towards women , and you can say because they have recieved the same abuse in 'slavery' so therefore they need somewhere to express their masculinity.Men are not even interested in marriage , its can be seen as a ownership and even when Mr___ was viewing celie for marriage it was like she was getting sold for slave trading and then you can say that despite they are very fond of going to church and talk about religion they dont understand the religious symbolism of marriage
lool you can go on is my point.

look on the mark scheme how to gain points and what they want you to look at :smile:.

goodluck !
Reply 14
I'm doing this exam tomorrow...for the third time!

Got 72/80 on my AS coursework. First time I sat this exam I got 77/120 which is a C, second time I got 98/120 which is a really low A so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it up to 105/120 ish this time...

For revision I'm just reading through and annotating the set text again (Address Unknown for me), and will probably analyse some stuff for section A that we've been given.
Reply 15
Original post by lawology
I'm doing this exam tomorrow...for the third time!

Got 72/80 on my AS coursework. First time I sat this exam I got 77/120 which is a C, second time I got 98/120 which is a really low A so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it up to 105/120 ish this time...

For revision I'm just reading through and annotating the set text again (Address Unknown for me), and will probably analyse some stuff for section A that we've been given.

Wait a sec, on the edexcel website for grade boundaries it says 69% would've got you an A (for jan 2011), and you go 98/120 which is 82%. I'm I missing something?

REPLY ASAP, anyone

Edit: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1101%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home-Int).pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
BUMP^
Reply 17
Original post by buxmann
Wait a sec, on the edexcel website for grade boundaries it says 69% would've got you an A (for jan 2011), and you go 98/120 which is 82%. I'm I missing something?

REPLY ASAP, anyone

Edit: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1101%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home-Int).pdf

I'm going to assume it means 69% raw marks for an A, since it's always 96/120 UMS for an A. That makes sense since raw marks wise (I only know this because I had my paper recalled) I got 70/100...that converted to 98/120. Don't worry too much about the raw marks, it's the UMS which are important.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Sana210693

If you don't mind, can you send me some essays about The Color Purple - because i want to see the level of intelligent people's work :colondollar:
I'm struggling with things to say about the novel. Especially the last few letters (I'm doing Address Unknown) We had a great teacher for the features of spontaneous speech stuff and I'm analysing everything I hear and read so I'm fine on that, but I had a truly awful teacher for Address Unknown she didn't go in to any great detail so I'm finding it hard to get starting points. Once I'm in the swing its fine. I just need a little help with some key points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending