The Student Room Group

TSR Economics society

Scroll to see replies

City bound
Sorry to be a snob but there is no place for multiple choice in economics. Any board that uses it might as well sell their qualifications as toilet paper, that's all its worth. There's no way I'd trust them.

there are 8 multiple choice of 4 points each, 1 mark for choice and 3 for EXPLANATION. It just makes the paper more straighforward, clear and also helps in understanding because multiple choice are often tricky and can mislead someone who doesn't really know what he's doing
Reply 381
For AQA we don't even have to explain :biggrin:
achilleas999
there are 8 multiple choice of 4 points each, 1 mark for choice and 3 for EXPLANATION. It just makes the paper more straighforward, clear and also helps in understanding because multiple choice are often tricky and can mislead someone who doesn't really know what he's doing

Why do you even need the multiple choice bit? Surely it could still be 1 mark for getting it right and 3 for an explanation?

Multiple choice is unnecessary, patronising and has no place in economics.
Reply 383
Actually, the mcq's in edexcel require more thinking and a good concept than answering the broad questions. From my experience.
City bound
Why do you even need the multiple choice bit? Surely it could still be 1 mark for getting it right and 3 for an explanation?

Multiple choice is unnecessary, patronising and has no place in economics.

so what are your suggestions? having only essay and article based questions? Economics require many graphs which would be time consuming and annoying having to draw 10 different graphs in a single unit exam. Using multiple choice questions, the graphs are given and you have to find out which is the correct area u are looking for (producer surplus, taxes, changes in supply and demand etc.)
Reply 385
Multiple choice means I got a more secure A, seeing as I got full marks in both multi choice sections :biggrin:
achilleas999
so what are your suggestions? having only essay and article based questions? Economics require many graphs which would be time consuming and annoying having to draw 10 different graphs in a single unit exam. Using multiple choice questions, the graphs are given and you have to find out which is the correct area u are looking for (producer surplus, taxes, changes in supply and demand etc.)

If you think that you have to draw 10 graphs for any exam you're missing something. It really doesn't take more than a minute or so to draw a graph anyway.
Reply 387
Hmmm. Sketches are what are asked for in the exam
City bound
If you think that you have to draw 10 graphs for any exam you're missing something. It really doesn't take more than a minute or so to draw a graph anyway.

i agree. the most i've ever used in an essay is 2 graphs. and drawing graphs requires you to understand how certain curves relate to each other. MC cutting the AC being a simple example.
well for edexcel papers, there are about 5 graphs part one where the multiple choice is and sometimes 1-2 graphs for the essay. It does need more than 1 minute (maybe even 5+ mins) and it is annoying because if u draw a line wrong u have to redraw the whole graph not to mention i hate using rulers and i really suck at drawing curves omg :P
Reply 390
My teacher has chosen to submit with Cambridge to do the exams for Economics and Business. One problem with me is there is inefficient papers on the Cambridge website and i'm looking. Anyone has any information please send it to me!
Reply 391
hi hws evre1? hpe yer all alryt... im nt reeli used to this forum... ive just started economics (with marketing) at bradford uni
Reply 392
Hey,

Heya Farakh, nice you have you here :smile:.

Random question to anyone else studying A2 Economics, are you covering Microeconomics or Macroeconomics first?

- Jeff
micro - all that supply and demand stuff first
Reply 394
Unit 6 meaning macro. My teacher said that since we did unit 3 a while back it would be easier now to do unit 6.
Reply 395
Hmmmm, our school seems to be covering all of the Macroeconomics first as well. Just worried about this interview at Cambridge (if I get one), everyone else will be all clued in on the Micro and they will expect me to be clued into the same extent :frown:.

Let's hope there's more schools than Nunheen's and mine that are doing the syllabus backwards lol...
J2K
Hmmmm, our school seems to be covering all of the Macroeconomics first as well. Just worried about this interview at Cambridge (if I get one), everyone else will be all clued in on the Micro and they will expect me to be clued into the same extent :frown:.

Let's hope there's more schools than Nunheen's and mine that are doing the syllabus backwards lol...

My college sent out a questionnaire that included a question on what you've covered so far. Where have you applied?
Reply 397
J2K
Hey,

Heya Farakh, nice you have you here :smile:.

Random question to anyone else studying A2 Economics, are you covering Microeconomics or Macroeconomics first?

- Jeff

Micro...I much prefer Macro to be honest.
Reply 398
City bound
My college sent out a questionnaire that included a question on what you've covered so far. Where have you applied?

Yeah, I sent away the questionaire a couple of weeks back, hopefully that should highlight the situation. I've applied to Trinity College, Cambridge for straight Economics. How about you?

- Jeff
J2K
Yeah, I sent away the questionaire a couple of weeks back, hopefully that should highlight the situation. I've applied to Trinity College, Cambridge for straight Economics. How about you?

- Jeff

word of caution: be prepared to research and write incredibly, mind bogglingly boring and seemingly pointless essays on agricultural economic history. most ppl i've spoken to on this course have underestimated the non-economic content of the course (2/5 papers)

Quick Reply

Latest