Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bye Tanya :hello:
cloudless
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
i am about to begin studying AS economics myself but am unsure as to which exam board i should choose. If anyone can tell me the differences like pros and cons or which is the most appreciated i would be grateful.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
AQA has multiple choice. 'Nuff said :p:
Nuheen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Edexcel has multiple choice in unit 1 and 4 I think. Edexcel isnt that bad...but I have never seen AQA papers so I cant compare.
City bound
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry to be a snob but there is no place for multiple choice in economics. Any board that uses it might as well sell their qualifications as toilet paper, that's all its worth. There's no way I'd trust them.
hassam
Report 12 years ago
Nuheen are there any other societies that are mainly for Business Studies and Accounting. Also is there any pastpapers with mark schemes for economics, business studies and accounting AS level from Canmbridge, edexcel and AQA.
Nuheen
Rep:
?
I dont think there are societies like that. you can check the societies list http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php

I am looking for past papers as well. There are no edexcel ones online. Dont know about the others.

The MCQ's in edexcel isn't guesswork though. They have one mark for the answer and 4 marks for explanation. If you get it wrong you can get max 2 marks. And that is in unit 1. Unit 4 must be harder comparatively.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow! You're doing Business, Econ and Accounting! You don't see that every day :p:.

There was a Business and Management society aaaages ago (I think EWilson started it) but it never got started. Nobody posted there, and nobody made it official. Shame really, we just piggyback on this thread instead :rolleyes:

There is also meant to be an Investment and Finance society (in the Careers forum), which had alot more posts in it, but was never made official either.

Links:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166740
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78698
achilleas999
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by City bound)
Sorry to be a snob but there is no place for multiple choice in economics. Any board that uses it might as well sell their qualifications as toilet paper, that's all its worth. There's no way I'd trust them.
there are 8 multiple choice of 4 points each, 1 mark for choice and 3 for EXPLANATION. It just makes the paper more straighforward, clear and also helps in understanding because multiple choice are often tricky and can mislead someone who doesn't really know what he's doing
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For AQA we don't even have to explain
City bound
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by achilleas999)
there are 8 multiple choice of 4 points each, 1 mark for choice and 3 for EXPLANATION. It just makes the paper more straighforward, clear and also helps in understanding because multiple choice are often tricky and can mislead someone who doesn't really know what he's doing
Why do you even need the multiple choice bit? Surely it could still be 1 mark for getting it right and 3 for an explanation?

Multiple choice is unnecessary, patronising and has no place in economics.
Nuheen
Rep:
?
Actually, the mcq's in edexcel require more thinking and a good concept than answering the broad questions. From my experience.
achilleas999
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why do you even need the multiple choice bit? Surely it could still be 1 mark for getting it right and 3 for an explanation?

Multiple choice is unnecessary, patronising and has no place in economics.
so what are your suggestions? having only essay and article based questions? Economics require many graphs which would be time consuming and annoying having to draw 10 different graphs in a single unit exam. Using multiple choice questions, the graphs are given and you have to find out which is the correct area u are looking for (producer surplus, taxes, changes in supply and demand etc.)
lukeitfc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Multiple choice means I got a more secure A, seeing as I got full marks in both multi choice sections
City bound
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by achilleas999)
so what are your suggestions? having only essay and article based questions? Economics require many graphs which would be time consuming and annoying having to draw 10 different graphs in a single unit exam. Using multiple choice questions, the graphs are given and you have to find out which is the correct area u are looking for (producer surplus, taxes, changes in supply and demand etc.)
If you think that you have to draw 10 graphs for any exam you're missing something. It really doesn't take more than a minute or so to draw a graph anyway.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmmm. Sketches are what are asked for in the exam
CorpusNinja
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you think that you have to draw 10 graphs for any exam you're missing something. It really doesn't take more than a minute or so to draw a graph anyway.
i agree. the most i've ever used in an essay is 2 graphs. and drawing graphs requires you to understand how certain curves relate to each other. MC cutting the AC being a simple example.
achilleas999
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well for edexcel papers, there are about 5 graphs part one where the multiple choice is and sometimes 1-2 graphs for the essay. It does need more than 1 minute (maybe even 5+ mins) and it is annoying because if u draw a line wrong u have to redraw the whole graph not to mention i hate using rulers and i really suck at drawing curves omg :P
hassam
Report 12 years ago
My teacher has chosen to submit with Cambridge to do the exams for Economics and Business. One problem with me is there is inefficient papers on the Cambridge website and i'm looking. Anyone has any information please send it to me!
Farakh
Report 12 years ago
hi hws evre1? hpe yer all alryt... im nt reeli used to this forum... ive just started economics (with marketing) at bradford uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads