The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

From Kenya to the UK to study Economics | Student Profile

Ruth relocated from Kenya to the University of Bradford. She had a clear goal in mind: to graduate with a BSc (Hons) Economics degree in the UK, so she could pursue a lucrative career in the business and finance sectors.

This is her story…

Ruth-Agoi---1.jpg

This is where I push my boundaries
When I left school in Kenya, I knew I wanted to study in the UK to gain a better quality education and improve my life prospects. I was interested in economics after learning about it in a business module at school. I like finance and numbers, so I figured economics would suit my natural interests. I was motivated by the challenge to get to the UK and push myself out of my comfort zone like never before.

Advice
My sister gave me some good advice. She told me to check out the job roles I'd be qualified for when I graduate, and then to work backwards to choose my degree. That confirmed my decision that economics was the best route for me, as the career opportunities are vast.

From Kenya to the UK
Studying in a new country was a challenge at first, but I embraced the differences. Everything here is different to Kenya; the teaching style, the culture, the food. But I got used to it and I loved the amenities near the University - shops, restaurants, everything you need on your doorstep. And I found joining societies was a great way to make friends, particularly through the African Caribbean Society.

Because I wanted to make friends quickly, I decided to live on campus at The Green student village in my first year. It was a really nice place to live

Placement year
I loved the contents of the Economics course. It was based on real-time trends and happenings in the business and finance sector, so it linked to current affairs which I enjoyed. It was very factual and I liked the finance modules the most, as well as the opportunities we had to complete internships and placements. The academic team were also really supportive - I never felt afraid to speak up if I didn't understand something and look for help - and I loved the facilities.

I worked at the Housing Diversity Network for a year-long placement.
I learnt so much about digital marketing there, managing their social media channels, email campaigns, creating content and delving into analytics to affect business growth. I felt like I went back to university after that year in the industry with a lot of skills, knowledge and clarity about the kind of roles I wanted to work in when I graduated. It also helped me understand the corporate market in the UK and get a feel for office culture, which was new to me.

Since I graduated this year, I’ve been working for a charity helping refugees in Bradford.

I hope to work in the finance industry so I'm applying for roles all over the UK. While there is stiff competition, I know that the skills and experience I've gained during my economics degree will help me secure my dream job in the end. :smile:
"Our academics engage with the industry, the business community and policymaking institutions and bring the real world experience into the classroom. Placement opportunities during your studies, both nationally and internationally, give you an excellent chance to step into the workplace. In addition, career boost weeks help develop your professional skills."

Dr Dariya Mykhayliv explains why you should study BSc (Hons) Economics and Finance and BSc (Hons) Economics at the University of Bradford.

Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending