The Student Room Group

Econ 15 mark essay

I’m so bad at writing essays can someone tell me how much i would get in this 15 marker and what i can improve on

Question was discuss policies that can be used to reduce immobility of labour to benefit energy sector

These are two types of labour immobility : geographical and occupational. Occupational immobility of labour is when workers are unable to move between jobs because they don’t have the right skills for the jobs available. Extract C states that in the gas and electricity industry, “29% of employers… report unfilled vacancies” and that this could be because of a lack of career and job prospects for young people. As a result of this, young people could be unaware of the types of careers they can go into so less people training for the role. One policy that can be used to reduce occupational immobility of labour are apprenticeship schemes. The government implementing apprenticeship schemes for younger people. This is effective as it allow young people to work in the gas and electricity industry, giving them a secure income, and teaching them the right skills and training for the job at the same time. It also fills up the excess job vacancies.

However, as affective as it is, apprenticeship schemes will take a lot of time to set up, and attract the young people. It will also take some time for them to be fully trained before they can go off and get the full job, so it will not work in the short run.

Geographical immobility of labour is when workers are unable to move around the country in search of work due to regional house prices and the cost of buying and selling houses. This could be one of the reasons as to why there are an abundance of unfilled job vacancies. Due to the long time periods required for training, employers need to find workers outside the region. One policy to persuade workers to move around the country to find work are housing subsidies from the government to reduce the cost of buying houses. Rented accommodation and shared ownership schemes are also some policies to reduce house buying cost. This means that its easier for people with the right skills to work in the gas and electricity industry can move around the country more easily in search of work as the accommodation prices are cheaper.

However, this process also has time lags as planning and building houses will take a lot of time. Also people may not feel keen to move from their family and friends, so my tend to stay where they live despite the owner house prices.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Niz12
I’m so bad at writing essays can someone tell me how much i would get in this 15 marker and what i can improve on

Question was discuss policies that can be used to reduce immobility of labour to benefit energy sector
Hi , im doing aqa a level economics so i dont know if it applies for you but the advice should carry onto other exam boards

Firstly, the question wasnt really answered clearly and the chain of anylsis want focused
the start of the introduction was good but you made the introduction into a pargraph
the structure i recommend at least for a level aqa is
introduction ( explaining key terminolgy the immbolity of labor and MAYBE saying your points but thats usually for 25 markers)
Body 1
you make your point e.g (The government could reduce immobility of labor for energy sectors by improving transport links)
explaination of the point :frown: mention geographical immobility and how energy sectors like national grid are london based and there are fewer jobs avaliable outside london, then you say government can add high speed railways lines then give an examle like how the eurostar was built ( probably not the best example but still an example))
you then do the consequence of the point : That highspeed railway lines allows more people to commute and that will increase the labour supply for london based sectors like the enregy sector and then link it back to the question
LINK back to the question :frown: Use a one liner like
LINK back to the question :frown: Use a one liner like " thus / therefore reducing geographical immobilty of labor for the energy sector")
You then do the same for pargraph 2 but about occupational immobilty of labor
but you HAVE TO ADD A diagram and explain it , doesnt matter if you pull it out your behind , along as you can somehow connect it to the point you made it will work . for the pargrapgh 1 i would add a labour supply diagram with the wage constant and the supply cure shifting outwards to the right and E1 shifting to E2 (employment expanding) and if you add application to the diagram that will help you alot.
For my board we dont do evaluation for 15 markers only for 25 markers and 10 markers on paper 3
but for evaluation you can say that this assumes that the unemployed workers dont have family ties e.g kids at school . as if they did they would find it more difficult to move

Your main focus on 15 markers is making sure you have logical chain of analysis and that if someone who doesnt study economics decides to read your essay then they would understand it

This is the best i can write for now as im studying for a levels ( sorry if its not clear)
good luck
give up
Original post by Niz12
These are two types of labour immobility : geographical and occupational. Occupational immobility of labour is when workers are unable to move between jobs because they don’t have the right skills for the jobs available. Extract C states that in the gas and electricity industry, “29% of employers… report unfilled vacancies” and that this could be because of a lack of career and job prospects for young people. As a result of this, young people could be unaware of the types of careers they can go into so less people training for the role. One policy that can be used to reduce occupational immobility of labour are apprenticeship schemes. The government implementing apprenticeship schemes for younger people. This is effective as it allow young people to work in the gas and electricity industry, giving them a secure income, and teaching them the right skills and training for the job at the same time. It also fills up the excess job vacancies.
However, as affective as it is, apprenticeship schemes will take a lot of time to set up, and attract the young people. It will also take some time for them to be fully trained before they can go off and get the full job, so it will not work in the short run.
Geographical immobility of labour is when workers are unable to move around the country in search of work due to regional house prices and the cost of buying and selling houses. This could be one of the reasons as to why there are an abundance of unfilled job vacancies. Due to the long time periods required for training, employers need to find workers outside the region. One policy to persuade workers to move around the country to find work are housing subsidies from the government to reduce the cost of buying houses. Rented accommodation and shared ownership schemes are also some policies to reduce house buying cost. This means that its easier for people with the right skills to work in the gas and electricity industry can move around the country more easily in search of work as the accommodation prices are cheaper.
However, this process also has time lags as planning and building houses will take a lot of time. Also people may not feel keen to move from their family and friends, so my tend to stay where they live despite the owner house prices.

hi! can i ask what exam board you do? i do aqa, and for 15 markers no evaluation is needed. so when you say ‚however…’ to counter your point that bit isn’t needed and won’t gain any additional marks : )

but let me know what exam board ur doing since the structure of questions is kind of the same across al exam boards

Quick Reply

Latest