The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know the typical grade boundaries in M4/5?
And...

Wonder if we'll get a 6 question or 7 question paper?

Think I'd prefer 6 questions, slightly greater difficulty, than 7 since that would likely mean 2 on relative velocity.
Original post by game well and truly over
And...

Wonder if we'll get a 6 question or 7 question paper?

Think I'd prefer 6 questions, slightly greater difficulty, than 7 since that would likely mean 2 on relative velocity.

I agree; I prefer fewer questions
Goodluck to everyone. Give it your best shot. :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by game well and truly over
Are you doing FP3? If so, like me, Friday 24th afternoon will be fun....

Yeah, I'm doing Chemistry Unit 5 in the morning as well. Fun times.
guys how was the exam ? :cry2:
Reply 26
Original post by asiftasfiq93
guys how was the exam ? :cry2:

We shouldn't be discussing the exam until midnight. Don't talk about it now or the thread will get locked till tomorrow and then we can't discuss M5 (if we want to).
Oh **** me. I am SOOO dreading M5.

I'm badly prepared, and looking briefly through tonight, I have shedloads to recall before Friday.

I was considerably happier with my M4 prep...and that didn't turn out too special... (that effing stability...I told myself that would happen).

So gotta ACE FP2/FP3 is the bottom line.

But so dreading embarrassing myself on M5.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why the hell are there so few people doing M4 and this is the only thread I could find?
Anyways here are my answers:
1. (24m) Joules
2. 27/5 m
Cant really remember the order from here on
3. (question with the boats) u=16
Time = 2:30 pm
Shortest distance = 8.9 km
4. (wind and hiker)
Direction = from a bearing of 025degrees
Speed = 7.60km/h
5. Damped harmonic
t=2/3
max speed = (6/e) =2.21
6 (further kinematics)
time = acrtan(U/2)
7. Q=29 degrees
Unstable

Ps. - Hi chamath :smile:
Original post by Studentboii
Why the hell are there so few people doing M4 and this is the only thread I could find?
1. (24m) Joules
2. 27/5 m
4. (wind and hiker)
Speed = 7.60km/h
5. Damped harmonic
t=2/3
max speed = (6/e) =2.21
6 (further kinematics)
time = acrtan(U/2)
7. Q=29 degrees
Unstable

Seems like you've got an A in the bag. :smile: I think the paper was relatively simple and easy compared what I was expecting to be asked.
1. (24m) Joules
2. 27/5 m
4. (wind and hiker)
Speed = 7.60km/h
5. Damped harmonic
t=2/3
max speed = (6/e) =2.21
6 (further kinematics)
time = acrtan(U/2)
7. Q=29 degrees
Unstable

Just as an aside, if you put degrees down for the last question, you'll lose an accuracy mark - you have to work in radians when using calculus, and they usually penalize for stuff like that, stingy bastards.
Original post by TwilightKnight

Original post by TwilightKnight
Just as an aside, if you put degrees down for the last question, you'll lose an accuracy mark - you have to work in radians when using calculus, and they usually penalize for stuff like that, stingy bastards.

Oh didnt know that but just take a look at question 3 on this mark scheme - it says degrees or radians right?
Reply 32
This paper was not good. I wish it had been.

I seems to have got Q1, Q2, parts of Q3 (u=16 and 8.9km), Q6 and parts of Q7 (ii and iii) correct.

I gave Q7 to radians because the limits were given in radians. But I don't think they will mind really.

Q4 was horrible. I drew a diagram and then couldn't figure out how to get the velocity of the wind.

Q5 I can't remember.

Q7 I couldn't probe the GPE of the extra bit at the end (length a). I did show the GPE of the main rod and the EPE of the string, so that should be worth something. I think I got the radian equivalent of 29 degrees, and also unstable, so those parts are ok.

Yes Hi, whoever you are..
Reply 33
Literally the worst paper i have ever done :|
Have never been able to not answer a full question before :frown: Was hoping for an A in this exam, but missing out question 4, only doing half of 2, and by the looks of things getting question 1 wrong, that's not gonna happen :frown:
:frown: didn't go great for me, I'm 90% sure I got the last part of 5 wrong, and I couldn't do 7a - so I've definitely lost those marks, plus any others from other mistakes I didn't notice
M5.... Holy crap.
Reply 36
anyone got the m4 paper??? I found the paper ok, but had to skip the question on relative motion coz i couldn't figure out a thing... :frown:
How did you guys do that question????
Reply 37
Here is the question Paper

Thanks to Chad77
Was M5 today?

Latest

Trending

Trending