The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self teach higher Maths?

Hi, I am 37 and have just taken Maths GCSE foundation exam. However even if i get a C i really fancy doing the higher exam in November. I did Foundation through college so would have to self teach the higher. I would love to get higher than a C and as i enjoy maths maybe in the future to do it A level, but for this you need B. I would do it with AQA. Any advise? Also my husband thinks it would be a waste of time doing the higher if i pass and get a C. Am i mad to do it?

I am also doing English and History GCSE this year.

Thanks Suzanne
Reply 1
Hey Suzanne.

It would be pretty difficult to prepare yourself for the higher exam in November. Not only is there not enough time but ALSO, you are doing this by yourself. Maths is a subject which I've always thought is best learnt with a teacher not through a book. It's ok to go through books with subjects like Sciences but not maths in my opinion. Also considering the new specification which is coming out for next year (which in my opinion is harder than what there is now), I feel that would make things even more difficult.

You'd have to work very hard and be extremely dedicated. Depending on how easy you catch on and how much time you spend, you may be able to get a B or even an A. I would highly doubt an A* in the amount of time you are saying. It would be pointless doing the Higher Paper if you think all you are going to get is a C. However, I do feel it's possible to get a B. There are certain very popular topics which appear now and again and if you can familiarise yourself with them, then getting a B should be possible. In that case, only if you are certain you could get a B or higher it would then be worth doing the Higher Paper.

But this is the thing, if you want to get into A-Level Maths, even though B is the minimum requirement, I personally still don't think it's enough. Based off what I've seen, the students with a B didn't end up too well with their A-Levels. Remember, A-Level Maths is much harder than GCSE Maths and having only B Grade capabilities doesn't give you a strong platform to start on.

If your plan is to do A-Level Maths, then unless you go absolutely FULL-ON from now, I would advise to sit the exam in June so that you have more time to prepare and start A-Levels later with a much stronger platform. OTHERWISE, if you still really want to do it in November, then I strongly advise you to learn your Algebra, Quadratics, Graphs and other functions, Re-arranging equations, Line equations, Indices, Surds, Simultaneous Equations (probably a couple more topics but not coming to me yet) to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. A lot of what you learn in A-Levels revolve around these things and if you're absolutely great at these, then the things you learn in A-Levels such as Calculus become easier.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyou for the reply. I do have my doubts about doing it, and as you say with no tutor to go through the problems with you it will be much harder. Miht just concentrate on history and English.
Reply 3
Original post by Jamz159
Hey Suzanne.

It would be pretty difficult to prepare yourself for the higher exam in November. It's ok to go through books with subjects like Sciences but not maths in my opinion.

Would disagree quite strongly with this, albeit it on a personal level. At GCSE level atleast, I tend to find concepts in maths are rather simple and what is more important is being able to remesmber each step. For the sciences, I tend to find that you're challenged more on the concepts and asked to apply what you know rather than simply solving question after question that - perhaps with some minor adjustments - are clones of questions you've seen on Mathswatch, CGP textbooks, whatever other materials.

Mathswatch CD goes quite in-detail (for GCSE) that there are little circumstances where you're left with a question that hasn't been answered by the voiceover. In the rare case you are, however, you can always wikianswers/thestudentroom/google your query. :wink:

Naturally, I agree that it would be harder to do it without a teacher but, so long as you're dedicated to the course, you can get a lot in over the summer and the fall. I started my Maths Course in September 2010, did the November exam that year and got 80%, or an A.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sue 1974
Hi, I am 37 and have just taken Maths GCSE foundation exam. However even if i get a C i really fancy doing the higher exam in November. I did Foundation through college so would have to self teach the higher. I would love to get higher than a C and as i enjoy maths maybe in the future to do it A level, but for this you need B. I would do it with AQA. Any advise? Also my husband thinks it would be a waste of time doing the higher if i pass and get a C. Am i mad to do it?

I am also doing English and History GCSE this year.

Thanks Suzanne

Yes it is very very possible as long as you buy the mathswatch CD, couldn't stress this enough.

take a look at this
http://www.mathswatch.co.uk/#/samples-ks4-74/4540967197
Reply 5
I'm not going to put your hopes down, but the hardest subject to self-teach is Maths. So I recommend sitting the exam in June 2012. It will more efficient. More over, do not aim for a C because if you do so you will probably end up with a lower mark. Always go for A*, even if you are almost sure you can't.

Last year, I was doing Physics foundation, I really hated physics and thought I'd fail it, but I aimed for a C ( highest mark in Foundation), and guess what I got straight C's including Physics.

If you really feel like taking a subject in November, I highly recommend History.

Also, I see you are entering Cambridge owning that AQA has been shifted to January instead of November. Go for AQA, it's easier and you have 4 more months.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending