The Student Room Group

Maths or Maths and Economics degree

I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year. I want to study a maths degree at either Manchester, Lancaster or Warwick and Imperial if I can get the grades. I originally wanted to replace computer Science with further maths but I have been told by the head of maths that it is too late to pick up further maths even after I said I could catch up the AS over the summer. I have been offered statistics a level instead of further maths and I will take this if I can’t self study further maths. If I can’t self study further maths then I will forget applying to Warwick and Imperial. Another problem is I recently just sat my physics end of year exam and I do not think I have done well in the exam. I do have a mitigating circumstance with a passing away in the family and when I contacted imperial they said they would only consider an application from someone who did year 12 twice if there were some mitigating circumstances and said the more evidence you can prove that this affected your work the better. If I do horribly bad in the physics exam then could I possibly study maths and statistics a level at college and then self study further maths or would Imperial and Warwick not accept me because my subject choices of maths, further maths and statistics are too similar. This is the only way I can think off that allows me to not have to do another year. Also, I would have loved to do maths, further maths and economics because I am considering the MORSE degree but the head of economics said that you cannot do economics in one year so I’d have to self study that. I do have uplearn which I could use for economics but if I do an extra year then I would definitely pick maths, further maths and economics. With doing another year I would also be able to apply to the Sutton trust summer schools and the pathways to finance which I regret not applying for. Should I take the extra year or should I try to do maths, further maths and statistics a level or do maths, further maths and physics (if I am allowed to continue with the subject). Would it be possible to self study further maths and economics (using uplearn) AS over the summer then join the A2 classes. Thank you
Reply 1
I think you should self study further maths and ask the school if you can take exams at their centre as you would be able to get predicted grades and references and it wouldn't cost you much - however , if the school says no , you would have do it privately ad this could be very expensive. You would also be doing 4 subjects - you would need 3 a levels at entry requirements and then one a level as a pass - would be beneficial to you as you haven't done well in physics

Resitting year 12 also seems like a viable option - know the content so would be able to get higher predicted grades, Sutton trust - easier access to unis.

In terms of whether you can self study Econ using unlearn - 100% possible , but it would be VERY time consuming as you would have to balance 2-3 hours a day of Econ with your school subjects. I don't think you should do Econ as it would not make much affect - Warwick need A* in maths and further maths with an A in another subject which you can achieve with either compsci or physics.

This is all I can say for now, if you need me to elaborate further or you need help just let me know!
Reply 2
Original post by rpriv095
I think you should self study further maths and ask the school if you can take exams at their centre as you would be able to get predicted grades and references and it wouldn't cost you much - however , if the school says no , you would have do it privately ad this could be very expensive. You would also be doing 4 subjects - you would need 3 a levels at entry requirements and then one a level as a pass - would be beneficial to you as you haven't done well in physics

Resitting year 12 also seems like a viable option - know the content so would be able to get higher predicted grades, Sutton trust - easier access to unis.

In terms of whether you can self study Econ using unlearn - 100% possible , but it would be VERY time consuming as you would have to balance 2-3 hours a day of Econ with your school subjects. I don't think you should do Econ as it would not make much affect - Warwick need A* in maths and further maths with an A in another subject which you can achieve with either compsci or physics.

This is all I can say for now, if you need me to elaborate further or you need help just let me know!

Thank you very much. I think I’m gonna first self study further maths and see how it goes. Over the summer I am also trying to get a job so I’ll see with economics. I can also consider business a level in one year and maths and further maths as my college will let me do business a level in one year. I think I’m gonna speak to my college again about resitting year 12 as I have mitigating circumstances so I’ll be able to contact the universities so they’ll consider my application. I’d rather not resist year 12 but if I need to I will.
Reply 3
No worries! Yep that's a reasonable plan you have. You're just going to have to see how everything plays out and decide from there. I would however, advise against doing business as some unis don't see it as academic and therefore don't consider it e.g LSE but do look at where you want to go for uni and find which subjects would best suit what you need
Original post by Safwan321
Thank you very much. I think I’m gonna first self study further maths and see how it goes. Over the summer I am also trying to get a job so I’ll see with economics. I can also consider business a level in one year and maths and further maths as my college will let me do business a level in one year. I think I’m gonna speak to my college again about resitting year 12 as I have mitigating circumstances so I’ll be able to contact the universities so they’ll consider my application. I’d rather not resist year 12 but if I need to I will.
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year. I want to study a maths degree at either Manchester, Lancaster or Warwick and Imperial if I can get the grades. I originally wanted to replace computer Science with further maths but I have been told by the head of maths that it is too late to pick up further maths even after I said I could catch up the AS over the summer. I have been offered statistics a level instead of further maths and I will take this if I can’t self study further maths. If I can’t self study further maths then I will forget applying to Warwick and Imperial. Another problem is I recently just sat my physics end of year exam and I do not think I have done well in the exam. I do have a mitigating circumstance with a passing away in the family and when I contacted imperial they said they would only consider an application from someone who did year 12 twice if there were some mitigating circumstances and said the more evidence you can prove that this affected your work the better. If I do horribly bad in the physics exam then could I possibly study maths and statistics a level at college and then self study further maths or would Imperial and Warwick not accept me because my subject choices of maths, further maths and statistics are too similar. This is the only way I can think off that allows me to not have to do another year. Also, I would have loved to do maths, further maths and economics because I am considering the MORSE degree but the head of economics said that you cannot do economics in one year so I’d have to self study that. I do have uplearn which I could use for economics but if I do an extra year then I would definitely pick maths, further maths and economics. With doing another year I would also be able to apply to the Sutton trust summer schools and the pathways to finance which I regret not applying for. Should I take the extra year or should I try to do maths, further maths and statistics a level or do maths, further maths and physics (if I am allowed to continue with the subject). Would it be possible to self study further maths and economics (using uplearn) AS over the summer then join the A2 classes. Thank you

Hi there,

I am a third year student on an integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster uni. Firstly, you have a lot of different options which is always helpful. To study maths at Lancaster the only subject required is maths so if you chose to continue with your current A-Levels that is an option (studying further maths does give you a slightly reduced offer). Similarly, for MORSE at Lancaster the only required subject is maths so your lack of economics will not put you at any sort of disadvantage.

I think see what you are able to self study over summer and then revaluate towards the start of the next academic year would be my personal choice. However, it is important to not burn yourself out and actually enjoy your summer especially due to your mitigating circumstances.

I hope at least some of that may have been helpful to you. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am a third year student on an integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster uni. Firstly, you have a lot of different options which is always helpful. To study maths at Lancaster the only subject required is maths so if you chose to continue with your current A-Levels that is an option (studying further maths does give you a slightly reduced offer). Similarly, for MORSE at Lancaster the only required subject is maths so your lack of economics will not put you at any sort of disadvantage.

I think see what you are able to self study over summer and then revaluate towards the start of the next academic year would be my personal choice. However, it is important to not burn yourself out and actually enjoy your summer especially due to your mitigating circumstances.

I hope at least some of that may have been helpful to you. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Thank you, so far it has been going alright. I am currently on 2.4 in core pure 1 Edexcel but I have been struggling a bit with finding the minimum and maximum value of arg z. But I am still close to finishing chapter 2. I don’t think I will be doing economics at all anyway as I am still allowed to carry on physics to year 13 so I just need to consolidate my physics AS over the summer too if I want to get an A predicted.
Im currently in year 12 doing maths bio chem Econ. I want to drop bio to do further maths but I didn't do well in our baseline assessments (got g8, 3 marks of 9 at GCSE which is entry req but they're violating me). Im considering self teaching further maths till December which I can then sit the further maths end of term test and get enrolled into further maths. How would you say uplearn further maths has helped you so far? is it worth it or should I just pursue 1-1 tuition?
Thank you, so far it has been going alright. I am currently on 2.4 in core pure 1 Edexcel but I have been struggling a bit with finding the minimum and maximum value of arg z. But I am still close to finishing chapter 2. I don’t think I will be doing economics at all anyway as I am still allowed to carry on physics to year 13 so I just need to consolidate my physics AS over the summer too if I want to get an A predicted.

Quick Reply

Latest