Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread Watch

zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Welcome to the Tattoo Appreciation Society Chat Thread.
You can join the society here.

This thread is the Chat Thread for the society.

In other words, it's a place for members to chat. Hopefully, it'll all stay on topic (i.e. about tattoos), but it may not.

If you're looking for serious talk about tattoos: information on getting one, advice for your next tattoo etc, then head over to the
Tattoo Appreciation Society Tattoo Thread

We're currently looking for help preparing a FAQ on getting a tattoo, see below:

Getting a tattoo FAQ post - UPDATE

Contributions thus far:

• From souldoubt

• Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by souldoubt)

Preparation

- Do not drink any alcohol beforehand, as this things the blood and will cause you to bleed more - making it more difficult for the artist. Inform them if you have any form of skin allergy that could result in bleeding or feeling light headed. If you feel ill on the day, it may be best to rebook. You need a healthy immune system to properly cope with healing a wound.

- Eat or drink something sugary before the procedure, particularly if it's going to take a while. Low blood sugar can result in fainting, so consider taking a sugary drink into the studio with you. If you feel at all dizzy or faint during the process, ask for a short break.

- Wear clothing that will easily expose the part of the body being tattooed. Eg: A strappy top for a shoulder/upper arm tattoo.
    Don't wear your best clothes, as tattoo ink can tend to splatter and stain every now and then - you may get some ink on your clothing.

- Bring valid photo ID as the artist may refuse to tattoo you, if you look under 18 years old.

Process:

- The area which is being tattooed will be shaved with a new disposable razor, in order to remove any small hairs that may get in the way. Next, the artist will apply your design to the area, using thermal paper which contains the outline of your design. You will get a chance to look at the location and appearance of your design, and can request any changes if you don't like the position.

- Ointment will then be applied over the design, in order to make sure it doesn't rub off during the process. The artist will do the line work first, which is often considered to be the most uncomfortable part. Most people agree that the first few minutes or so are the worst, but your body will get used to the sensation after a while. If you're finding some parts painful, breathe deeply and try to relax as much as you can.

- Once the linework is completed, the artist will move on to colour/shading - which is not considered to be as painful. Once it is finished, the area will be cleaned and you'll have the chance to admire the work. Ointment will then be applied, and the area will be bandaged up. Pay attention to what the artist tells you about aftercare, and follow the instructions carefully over the next few weeks.

Aftercare:

- Remove the bandaging from the tattoo after 1-3 hours. A tattoo is still considered a fresh wound, which will need to breathe in order to heal correctly. When first washing, use warm water and an antibacterial soap. (Do not use a soap containing alcohol or peroxide, as they'll dry out the tattoo). Only use your hands/fingers to wash, taking care to remove any traces of blood. Pat the tattoo dry with a soft cloth, or let it dry naturally. Apply a layer of an unscented moisturising cream to the tattoo. (Bepanthen is a popular choice). It is generally advised that this cleaning process should take place 3-5 times a day.

- As the tattoo starts to heal, it may begin to scab/flake/itch slightly. Do not scrub or pick at it, because this could result in fading and removal of colour - it could also cause scar tissue. This will last for the first few weeks. The overall healing time depends largely on the size of the design itself, along with how well *you* heal. Small tattoos may only take a couple of weeks, whereas large/complex designs can take months. The most important thing to remember is the aftercare methods recommended to you by the artist, and to keep it clean and well moisturised.

- Healing times depend on how well you heal and the size of the design. This can range anywhere from around a week for simple, small line designs, to several months for complex, larger designs. Keep following your aftercare instructions for as long as the artist told you to, and make sure the tattoo is kept well-moisturised and clean for a good few months after that, avoiding abrasive skin products.

- Try to keep your tattoo away from the sun. Being burnt could cause a lot of complications (bad scabbing/scarring/fading). Try to wait until your tattoo is fully healed before heading out into the sun or using a tanning bed. Don't apply sunblock while your tattoo is still healing, as it could slow down the process or ruin the end result. Once the healing period is over, take care to apply protection each time it is exposed to the sun.

• From ironandwine

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    Preliminary stage:

Deciding on the design you want is a pretty tricky, time-consuming process. If you don't know what to get, then I advise you to start out just researching tattoos to get a feel for styles you like and styles you'd prefer to stay away from. Websites I recommend for doing this are http://www.flickr.com (search for specific tattoo groups) and http://fyeahtattoos.com

Now that you've seen what kind of designs are out there, you'll start to get a feel for your own personal design. Even if you want something fairly simple or popular, I recommend trying to make it as original and meaningful to you as possible; after all, , it is going to be on your skin for life. That said, some people do get tattoos without any meaning, and they can be done for the sake of bloody fantastic body art. I know a lot of friends who have decided on a small design (such as a star) to test their pain threshold; I would not advise doing this. Nine times out of ten, people regret getting a "small" first tattoo, it's better to go the whole way and get something you're going to love forever.

Now that you've got a basic idea of what you want, you can continue to research it, or take your ideas to your future tattooist. Don't worry if you're not the next Vincent Van Gogh when it comes to drawing, you just need to be able to explain your idea roughly. In fact, sometimes it's better to give a vague idea and a little artistic licensing; after all, it is what they do for a living, and your tattooist may interpret your idea in a way you haven't even imagined yet. I personally just awkwardly said a few random words of what I wanted, and left it to my tattooist to come up with the rest, and he literally astounded me. They will then draw your design up and call you back once they've got a final version to see if you like it or not. If you do, then awesome, book an appointment! But if not, seriously don't get nervous in saying what you don't like (even if it's all of it) - remember the design will be on you for life, and your tattooist will understand this. On the other hand, if you have an extremely clear idea of what you want and you've already drawn it up, then great!

If you want to make doubly sure that you love and want the design on your skin forever, then you can always ask your tattooist for a copy of the design to take home and keep by your bed or something; ask yourself every day whether or not you'd be happy waking up with such a tattoo. I didn't personally do this, but I know someone who did, and it worked in her favour.

Placement of your tattoo can potentially change how great your tattoo is going to look. For example, you may be dead set on having a design on your ankle as it's a cute place to have a tattoo, but in reality, your design may look better elsewhere. It's hard to give any inkling of where your personal tattoo is going to look best on your body in this wall of text, as it's so subjective, but I suggest asking for opinions from those who have tattoos already, and obviously, your tattooist's opinion, as they're a professional. If your tattooist is any good, then they should tell you if they think your tattoo would look better elsewhere on your body, but there's no harm in double-checking.

• From cdsmith1990

Spoiler:
    Show
    This Mac is refusing to copy & paste, so I'll direct you to the post itself. Sorry.

(Original post by cdsmith1990)
    His suggestion here

Any more contributions to this would be appreciated, as would your feedback. We want it to be as much of a group effort as possible.

As Griffin23 suggested, even if your contribution is recommending a tattooist or mentioning the aftercare product you used/were advised to use, this would be helpful!

Spoiler:
Show
Quoted to bring your attention to the post!

(Original post by ironandwine)
x
(Original post by clementinemary)
x
(Original post by cdsmith1990)
x
(Original post by Delta_Aitch)
x
(Original post by Griffin23)
x
(Original post by Smoosh)
x
(Original post by souldoubt)
x
(Original post by silverbolt)
x
(Original post by Juno)
x
(Original post by truthandtragedy)
x
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
x
(Original post by psychocustard)
x
(Original post by Jace Falco)
x
(Original post by RachelWest)
x
(Original post by Dream Weaver)
x
(Original post by ibelongtoslytherin)
x
(Original post by NW86)
x
(Original post by Howard)
x
(Original post by dorkish)
x
(Original post by SarahSweden)
x
RachelWest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love my tattoo, and I love seeing other peoples tattoos.
If you love your tattoo post a photo

I'll start:
1st tattoo

It's colour, but for some reason i only have this photo to hand and it doesnt show alot of it.

It's not finished and needs some touch ups... but it'll get there.

Edit: Photo quality has been destroyed...

After two more sessions

And here it is nearly finished, not the best photo and still needs touch ups

The finished product Might need touch ups but as a whole my 31 hour tattoo is finished... I'm so giddy.
whitepearlbaby
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love my tattoo, and I love seeing other peoples tattoos.
If you love your tattoo post a photo

It's very big, but very pretty!

I haven't got any tattoos yet.
TheCurlyHairedDude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You'll regret that. I have none as off yet!
susan23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
whos that women? Is it Eve?
Delta Aitch
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
I have just one tattoo, but I really want more. I am obsessed with watching Miami Ink and other such programmes because the tattoo designs are always so amazing and grand

I am most definitely going to get more tattoos, but I am going to wait a couple of years to see if I still like the idea of a particular tatoo before I decide on it's placement for another while and then get it done :yy:
YannTouchable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have just one tattoo, but I really want more. I am obsessed with watching Miami Ink and other such programmes because the tattoo designs are always so amazing and grand

I am most definitely going to get more tattoos, but I am going to wait a couple of years to see if I still like the idea of a particular tatoo before I decide on it's placement for another while and then get it done :yy:
...Dood, are you srsly from central african republic?!
susan23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If I have a tattoo , I would so get that rachel brice tattoo :

Indian_Princess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nice tattoo
RachelWest
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Indian_Princess)
imagine how that's gonna look when ur 80 :L
If a tattoo is my biggest regret when I'm 80, I'll have lived a pretty easy life.
Delta Aitch
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by YannTouchable)
...Dood, are you srsly from central african republic?!
Maybe :ninja:
Who wants to know?

tbh, when you're 80, a horrible tattoo is the least of your worries...
Romystarr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
her boobs will be saggy and her face will be wrinkly, its not gonna be a huge deal!
tsr-member
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll start:
I really want to grab some felt-tip pens and colour it in! :ahee:
YannTouchable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe :ninja:
Who wants to know?

tbh, when you're 80, a horrible tattoo is the least of your worries...
LOL bullstuff!

I'm half central african andd thought I was the only one in the north hemisphere, since there's pretty much no entering/leaving that place =\

Went there once 3 yrs ago, don't think I'll ever do it again but yeah, wow, hi!
RachelWest
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tsr-member)
I really want to grab some felt-tip pens and colour it in! :ahee:
My friends have....
Unfortunately I have 10-12 hours of colour ahead of me yet, but can't wait.
Delta Aitch
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by YannTouchable)
LOL bullstuff!

I'm half central african andd thought I was the only one in the north hemisphere, since there's pretty much no entering/leaving that place =\

Went there once 3 yrs ago, don't think I'll ever do it again but yeah, wow, hi!
Haha, hi mate...
I'm sorry but I am an absolute fraud and I only picked this flag because it looked pretty :emo:

Still friends? :puppyeyes:
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd like a tattoo but I have no idea what of... Also I'm scared it will hurt D:
RachelWest
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
They do a little, but it's honestly not that bad.
Delta Aitch
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
Tbh, I am a wimp with pain and it really only hurt me a bit. The time actually does fly and I was done before I even realised.

I will say, though, that the outlining was more painful for me than the filling in - I always thought it would be the other way around.
RachelWest
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tbh, I am a wimp with pain and it really only hurt me a bit. The time actually does fly and I was done before I even realised.

I will say, though, that the outlining was more painful for me than the filling in - I always thought it would be the other way around.

Lines can be a *****! I did a four and a half hours session for those lines and it was hard. I've also done 4 hours colour on another tattoo and it was suprisingly tame in comparison.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads