The Student Room Group

Concerned about my wrist tattoo and what effect that may have on my future

Will having a wrist tattoo stop me from becoming a Biomedical Scientist?
I am currently an A level student that wants to go to university, get an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science and then potentially work in NHS labs.
Reply 1

I am currently an A level student that wants to go to university, get an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science and then potentially work in NHS labs.

If this would have any impact on my ability to work and be hired as a biomedical scientist does anyone know any good methods of covering up tattoos?
Why would it?

What is it you think biomedical scientists do...?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Why would it?

What is it you think biomedical scientists do...?

I know that the NHS are not all too fond of tattoos so I was wondering if having a wrist tattoo would make it less likely for me to be able to work for the NHS.
There are fewer jobs that a tattoo would be a block to nowadays than a decade or more ago.
It used to be that most police forces banned any tattoo that could be seen in short sleeves, but are less fussy nowadays.

Employers might find that customer facing staff don’t present the correct image but I cannot image biomed being affected. A simple wrist tattoo could be lasered off, or covered with a sticking plaster.

It might be unwise to have a new tattoo while working in a lab infection wise.
Most jobs nowadays are fine with tattoos. Even the armed forces have relaxed their traditionally strict policy a little. Obviously it varies place to place, but as it's on your wrist and can be hidden with a long sleeve shirt or jacket, I'd say you're fine.
Original post by SirGroggus
I know that the NHS are not all too fond of tattoos so I was wondering if having a wrist tattoo would make it less likely for me to be able to work for the NHS.

Unless it's obscene I doubt it would be an issue. Especially since it's not likely you're ever going to be face to face with patients as a BMS realistically.
NHS relaxed their views on tattoos a few years back so don't worry about it. Back in May I ended up comparing tattoos with NHS staff (can't remember his exact role) while in the operating theatre waiting for surgery to begin.
(edited 1 year ago)

No. I work for the NHS (in much more patient-facing roles too, mental health now, used to be an HCA) and I have a bunch of forearm tattoos, loads of the staff have them and precisely nobody cares. Unless it's something offensive it's not gonna be an issue in any way, the NHS care about having people who care and are good at their jobs not about how they look, also the judgement of tattoos in general is on its way out.

You might get the odd judgy comment, at worst if you have a super-strict supervisor they might tell you to cover it, but it's not gonna interfere with you getting hired or anything don't worry
Reply 9
I am currently an A level student that wants to go to university get an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science and then potentially work in NHS labs.

I like this post about tattoo. Thank you.
Reply 10
Original post by JaceW98
No. I work for the NHS (in much more patient-facing roles too, mental health now, used to be an HCA) and I have a bunch of forearm tattoos, loads of the staff have them and precisely nobody cares. Unless it's something offensive it's not gonna be an issue in any way, the NHS care about having people who care and are good at their jobs not about how they look, also the judgement of tattoos in general is on its way out.

You might get the odd judgy comment, at worst if you have a super-strict supervisor they might tell you to cover it, but it's not gonna interfere with you getting hired or anything don't worry

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending