The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Degree Marks

Basically, I got a 58 overall in my 1st year and 57 in my second. The both of them are 2:2s. Is it possible that I can still get a 2:1 overall because I'm seriously freaking out :frown: By the way, I do Creative Writing with Media
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends what course you're on.
In mine only the 2nd and 3rd marks counted towards your final mark. 25% for 2nd year and 75% 3rd year.
So yes you can get a 2.1 easily if you apply/applied yourself in your final year.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Each year is worth 120 points. You need to get a 60 and above to have a 2:1. I do Creative Writing, Media, Culture and society
Every uni is different, but it is generally the case that the third year is worth more than first and second years. For the majority of unis, your first year doesn't count at all towards your final degree classification.

Therefore, provided your uni isn't abnormal, you should easily be able to achieve a solid 2:1, provided you apply yourself more readily than you did in first and second year.
I did English and Film Studies, so we have practically the same departments and it's highly likely to be the same: The first year DOES NOT count towards your final degree mark, the second year is worth 40% and the third is worth 60% so you can still bring it up next year. You should check in your handbook just to be sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
At Hull, the first year counts for nothing officially
Reply 6
Original post by Prince357
Each year is worth 120 points. You need to get a 60 and above to have a 2:1. I do Creative Writing, Media, Culture and society

It depends how much each year is worth. e.g. on a typical BSc, 1st year will be worth 0%, 2nd year worth 40%, and 3rd year worth 60%.

It varies between courses though, so you'll need to find out exactly what the weightings are before we can say!

But it's highly likely that you'll be able to get a 2:1 still. If it follows the 0/40/60 weightings for example, you'd only need 62% next year to get a 2:1 :smile:
the first year does not count towards your degree.

if you get 57.00 as an average in the first year, an average of 63 in all of the final year modules gets you an overall average of 60.60.

a 2:1 is 59.45 so that's easily achievable.

the calculator i have was from the business school, i do not know if all degree weightings are the same, but the 2nd year counts as 40% and the third year is worth 60%.
Reply 8
Original post by DarkWhite
It depends how much each year is worth. e.g. on a typical BSc, 1st year will be worth 0%, 2nd year worth 40%, and 3rd year worth 60%.

It varies between courses though, so you'll need to find out exactly what the weightings are before we can say!

But it's highly likely that you'll be able to get a 2:1 still. If it follows the 0/40/60 weightings for example, you'd only need 62% next year to get a 2:1 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest