The Student Room Group

Failed a core module in second year LLB

I'm a second year law student and I've failed a core module. So far, I've passed all my other modules in my first year. It's my first fail and I'm so stressed out about this. I have asked the uni on further guidance but they haven't replied yet.
I genuinely didn't think I'd done that bad, but I got 32/100. Pass mark is 40. There was around 19/20 research links, it met the word count, and it followed a logical structure.
I'm just hoping someone on here would be able to help me out with a few questions.
Side note: The marks were unmoderated, I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make though.
1) Would they make me resit the entire year?
2) Is there a chance that after the moderation process, my marks would increase to atleast 40?
3) Would this affect my chances of getting a 2:1 or a 1st at the end of my degree?

I would appreciate the responses/help with this.

Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm a second year law student and I've failed a core module. So far, I've passed all my other modules in my first year. It's my first fail and I'm so stressed out about this. I have asked the uni on further guidance but they haven't replied yet.
I genuinely didn't think I'd done that bad, but I got 32/100. Pass mark is 40. There was around 19/20 research links, it met the word count, and it followed a logical structure.
I'm just hoping someone on here would be able to help me out with a few questions.
Side note: The marks were unmoderated, I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make though.
1) Would they make me resit the entire year?
2) Is there a chance that after the moderation process, my marks would increase to atleast 40?
3) Would this affect my chances of getting a 2:1 or a 1st at the end of my degree?

I would appreciate the responses/help with this.

Thank you.

Hi there

Just to be clear, you failed a module in first year, right? Many unis don't count the first year towards the final degree classification so I would first look at what marking policy is followed at your uni. And if you've just failed one module, they will most probably make you resit the exam for only that module along with your second-year module exams.

I highly doubt that the marks would increase from 32 to 40. Firstly, I think they probably would've consulted more than one person on all marks before releasing them. Secondly, it's worth checking whether moderation can lead to reduced marks too.

If your first year doesn't count towards the final degree classification, then it wouldn't affect your chances of getting a 2:1 or 1st. Even if it does, you can still make up for it in your 2nd and 3rd years. This calculator is an easy way to find out what marks you'll need to get a classification of your choice: https://gradehub.io/register

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending