The Student Room Group

Oxford Medical Degree Grading System

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm getting increasingly confused by the ambiguity of Oxford's grading system for both the first 3 years and latter half of the Medical degree.

I understand in Prelims you can get Pass, Pass with Merit and Pass with Distinction.

I also understand that the final Medical Degree is Pass/Fail.

But I have several questions:

1. What do prelims actually go towards? Other than getting to wear the special gown, do they have any affect on your degrees or Foundation Programme Applications? IE, do they affect your rank in your year? How much? Is it weighted more in certain years?

2. I understand it's Pass/Fail, but in Maths, their website states your individual marks from Prelim papers will also be displayed on your degree even though they don't count towards your final mark. Is this also true for Medicine?

3. Do Prelims affect your third-year BA of Medical Sciences?

4. If you fail your first year Prelims (and pass resits), how negative of an effect will that have on your degree?

Many thanks in advance, sorry for the inconvenience if this has already been answered somewhere but I swear I'm going crazy trying to find it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending