University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by TheJ0ker
Sorry do you live in America?

yep.
Original post by Space Needle
yep.

:lol:

What makes you an expert on the socio-economic state of the cities of Britain then?

You don't even live in England whereas I live in Sheffield and have relatives in Bristol.

What makes you an expert on the socio-economic state of the cities of Britain then?

You don't even live in England whereas I live in Sheffield and have relatives in Bristol.

Because the North/South divide is a well documented trend. Since when do you have to live somewhere to have an understanding? South Yorkshire (in which Sheffield is a part) is one of the three areas of the UK - along with a part of Merseyside and Cornwall that actually qualify for EU poverty grants.
Reply 384
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Whereabouts are you from? I'm from Poole :biggrin:

I need to get the application done first :tongue: Personal statement's annoying me, I still need another decent-sized paragraph about stuff I've done. I'm thinking about mentioning complex numbers and then talking about 'The Music of the Primes' - no idea :tongue:

You're kidding, I'm from Poole too! :L what a small world :smile: haha! [does 'The Music of the Primes' actually have anything to do with music? :L]
Original post by wren94
You're kidding, I'm from Poole too! :L what a small world :smile: haha! [does 'The Music of the Primes' actually have anything to do with music? :L]

If I knew you, that would be even odder :tongue: School? I'm Poole High.

Nope :tongue:
Original post by Space Needle
Because the North/South divide is a well documented trend. Since when do you have to live somewhere to have an understanding? South Yorkshire (in which Sheffield is a part) is one of the three areas of the UK - along with a part of Merseyside and Cornwall that actually qualify for EU poverty grants.

Do you know where Cornwall is?

Its about as south as you can possibly go. Bristol is really quite a rough city, Sheffield's fairly peaceful considering how big it is, it was the largest city to not have any riots at all when they were going on.
Bristol is really quite a rough city.

Erm, no it isn't.
Yes, there are rough parts, but then every single town has rough parts.
I find it quite a bit nicer than other cities.
(I live in Bristol)
Reply 388
Original post by Contrad!ction.
If I knew you, that would be even odder :tongue: School? I'm Poole High.

Nope :tongue:

too true and no, college. Brockenhurst :smile: and that's a shame :L
Original post by wren94
couldn't help but see that you're from Dorset too (h5)

dedum. Wimborne.
Reply 390
Applying for classics :smile:
other unis ive applied to are cambridge exeter warwick and manchester
ib predictions: 42 points with 777 at higher
Reply 391
Applied for medicine
Other unis: Leicester, Liverpool, HYMS
A Level Grades: A*AAAAa
Do you know where Cornwall is?

Yes. Stop being so patronising.

Bristol is really quite a rough city, Sheffield's fairly peaceful considering how big it is, it was the largest city to not have any riots at all when they were going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-South_divide_(England)

I have been to Bristol, compared to other major cities in England it was very pleasant.

do you dispute that the north is generally poorer than the south?
Original post by fudgesundae
do you dispute that the north is generally poorer than the south?

Yeah I can't see there being much difference between them, we are still in the same country.
Reply 395
Original post by alexsheppard11
dedum. Wimborne.

this is spooky :L
Original post by wren94
this is spooky :L

Although im in my 3rd year now... so old.
Yeah I can't see there being much difference between them, we are still in the same country.

Well a government study found this year that whilst they spend more in the North on healthcare, people are 20% more likely to die before 75 in the North than the South. Quite a large difference if you think about it.
Also house prices, last month a right move survey found that the average house price in the South was twice that in the North. Again a huge difference.
Earnings are definitely higher in the South than the North.
This was also evident in the boom years. Oxford researchers estimated that the economies in the south grew by over 1% more than those in the north. The unemployment rate is also higher in the north.
And finally, S&P research found that in Q1 of 2011 northern mortgage owners were 35% more likely to be struggling to meet the payments.

Whether you like it or not (I'm from the south and I don't) there is a huge divide.
Reply 398
Original post by fudgesundae
Well a government study found this year that whilst they spend more in the North on healthcare, people are 20% more likely to die before 75 in the North than the South. Quite a large difference if you think about it.
Also house prices, last month a right move survey found that the average house price in the South was twice that in the North. Again a huge difference.
Earnings are definitely higher in the South than the North.
This was also evident in the boom years. Oxford researchers estimated that the economies in the south grew by over 1% more than those in the north. The unemployment rate is also higher in the north.
And finally, S&P research found that in Q1 of 2011 northern mortgage owners were 35% more likely to be struggling to meet the payments.

Whether you like it or not (I'm from the south and I don't) there is a huge divide.

Guys, chill :tongue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15186705

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending