The Student Room Group

The 'Am I bovvered?' thread

Ok. So. Cambridge are now sending out decisions and people inevitably are unsuccessful.

Me included :p:

When I opened my letter this morning my heart sunk, but now, I really don't care because I have 4 great offers anyway, and I realise how competitive English literature is.

Does anyone else feel the same? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done with everyone with offers though, Oxbridge is fantastic :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Glad some people don't think being rejected is the end of the world. Where are you planning on going now then?
Reply 2
Well I don't have my letter yet but interview was horrendous so i probably will be rejected. Im applying for veterinary and its so competitive that i just want to go somewhere so the answer is i will be kind of bothered until i (hopefully) get an offer somewhere else then i'll be 100% over it lol
i just want an offer any offer lol
Reply 3
nah my heart didnt really sink, because i wouldnt have accepted had i got an offer. i just want to get into a vet school, and i have 2 offers so im happy :rolleyes:
Reply 4
my sentiments exactly
i havent got my letter either... but i dont think ne1 from queens has.. the letter is in the hand of the postmen now though for sure...
but when i do get it it will probs be rejection... interview was worse than it shudda been.. not bovered tho.. LSE it is

on a side note.. catherine tate was funny the first time..
how very dare you!!
BeeDee: wow, your GCSE and AS grades are fantastic, and yet they still didn't want you?! Which college did you apply to?

I'm thinking of applying for English next year; now I'm a little bit worried at the strength of applicants!

Cam's loss is Durham / Nottingham / Edinburugh's gain :smile:
Reply 6
Marcus-B
BeeDee: wow, your GCSE and AS grades are fantastic, and yet they still didn't want you?! Which college did you apply to?

I'm thinking of applying for English next year; now I'm a little bit worried at the strength of applicants!

Hey, please don't let grades put you off applying - people with the best grades don't always match up with people who get offers. I know several people with less than great grades (incl me) who were made offers by their first choice college. Cam knows that grades aren't everything - that's why the process includes interviews and tests. Go on, apply!
Reply 7
Although good grades help, they are no guarantee of success. Equally relatively bad grades (not as in Es) don't guarantee failure. Yours are strong even by Cambridge standards - I read somewhere the average is 6 A*s at GCSE...you'll have to talk to someone who does English whether your A at GCSE would be a problem edit: english lit gcse
Yeah, I was thinking about the A at English Lit GCSE being a but of a problem :frown:

Not that I'm wanting to make excuses or anything, but my Dad died 3 months before my GCSEs started (which sparked off a lot of family problems). So when I came to sit my first GCSE of the summer - which was English Lit - I wasn't in a perfect frame of mind (even though I had revised). :mad:

Now, English Lit is my strongest subject at AS! :eek:

Are my set of circumstances the sort of thing that Oxbridge want to know about, or am I best to apply as a clean sheet candidate and just see what they think of me? :confused:
Reply 9
Well I only have 3 A*, 1 A, a few B's and a couple of C's (the A* in the subjects more relevant to the course I applied to though - History, Eng Lit and Eng Lang and I'm applying for SPS, and the C's in Chemistry and Statistics, so I suppose it isn't that much of a problem).

But then again I haven't got my letter yet so all of this is irrelavant...
My AS grades are going to bring me down - i just know it - even though i explained them in my special access interview- my gcse's are fine, its last year that was screwed up.

--------------

Marcus-B
Yeah, I was thinking about the A at English Lit GCSE being a but of a problem :frown:

Not that I'm wanting to make excuses or anything, but my Dad died 3 months before my GCSEs started (which sparked off a lot of family problems). So when I came to sit my first GCSE of the summer - which was English Lit - I wasn't in a perfect frame of mind (even though I had revised). :mad:

Are my set of circumstances the sort of thing that Oxbridge want to know about, or am I best to apply as a clean sheet candidate and just see what they think of me? :confused:

Your A in lit at gcse is fine- honestly it is- concentrate on your AS exams!
also i am sorry about your dad, i think you should mention it still it shows that in a situation where most poeple would have given up on everything you coped with the pressure and sat your exams.
good luck :biggrin:
Marcus-B

I am very sorry to hear that. Your application looks as as though it could be very strong though. As for how you play it, if your overall GCSE results weren't as good as they should have been, then definately tell them. You could just let them know unofficially or you could use their special access scheme which would mean they would take it officially into account. Go onto undergraduate applications on the website and they explain all the routes of applying including special circumstances.

If you got an A in GCSE English despite everything that is incredibly impressive. I had a B and a C lurking in my GCSEs! If you do chose to make a special application they ask for a lot more info than usual from you and your school, so you need to consider whether you want the potential added stress or whether you want to go in with a blank slate. My advice would be to call the admissions tutor of your chosen college or central uni admissions and ask their advice - they will be able to advise on your best move. PM me if you need any advice.
Bumblebee3
If you do chose to make a special application they ask for a lot more info than usual from you and your school, so you need to consider whether you want the potential added stress or whether you want to go in with a blank slate. .

It only one box that the school has to fill. My school didnt mention everything but some colleges provide the special access interview- thats where i got to explain everything in detail.
**noooni**
It only one box that the school has to fill. My school didnt mention everything but some colleges provide the special access interview- thats where i got to explain everything in detail.

It depends on the college - they can ask for quite a bit of detail if they want and as you say, another interview. They will be straight up about it though, no surprises. I always think communication is they way to go, the uni admissions office will be able to advise on individual circumstances.
Reply 14
Marcus-B

lol it is so pathetic when people say this. It is NOT, NOT NOT 'Cam's loss' at all. They don't have unlimited places. They picked someobdy better instead. Simply because they could. End of. They haven't 'lost' at all.
Reply 15
Niccolo
lol it is so pathetic when people say this. It is NOT, NOT NOT 'Cam's loss' at all. They don't have unlimited places. They picked someobdy better instead. Simply because they could. End of. They haven't 'lost' at all.

Wow, well you're just a ray of sunshine aren't you.
Reply 16

I partly agree with you, people say "their loss" too often. Surely it's not their loss for each applicant.

However, then you targetted this towards the thread poster. Neither you or the Cambridge admissions officers don't know how smart/dumb the poster and whether or not it was their lose.

If she is smart enough for Oxbridge then it is their loss, otherwise it's not. The application process isn't enough to pick the best students. Some lucky, others not.
Reply 17
Joe_87
Wow, well you're just a ray of sunshine aren't you.

It's just how it is. Even if someone who has been rejected could have done well on their course of choice at cambridge, there was clearly someone who the academics believed could do better who obviously pipped them to the post. Even if they were technically inferior on paper. And thats all there is to it, unfortunately for those who are rechazado. Its a hard world.
I've spent all morning coming up with the reasons why it would have been rubbish anyway!

Would like another offer to be honest though, I'm getting a little worried now...Leeds was always an insurance for me!
Niccolo
It's just how it is. Even if someone who has been rejected could have done well on their course of choice at cambridge, there was clearly someone who the academics believed could do better who obviously pipped them to the post. Even if they were technically inferior on paper. And thats all there is to it, unfortunately for those who are rechazado. Its a hard world.

Naturally they believed others could do better. However, lets not forget that one of the main things interviewers are thinking is 'could this person get a 2:1' That is a key point. And loads of people don't. The most promising people end up scraping a 2:2 and some get 3rds or drop out. The interviewing process is unfortunately not infallible.

Latest

Trending

Trending