The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Heyimdec
They will either ask you Maintenance or Breakdown, only one.

I pray its breakdown. (or sexual selection)
What would you write about for maintenance?
Reply 581
Does anyone know what the eating behaviour questions may be? Ditto Gender?? :biggrin: Thanks
Reply 582
Original post by rf229

I'd rather Breakdown too, but Maintenance wouldn't be a major distaster.

You would write about the Social Exchange Theory (Thibaut and Kelley) and The Equity Theory (Walster et al.). Does that ring any bells to you? :P
Reply 583
I'd rather Breakdown too, but Maintenance wouldn't be a major distaster.

You would write about the Social Exchange Theory (Thibaut and Kelley) and The Equity Theory (Walster et al.). Does that ring any bells to you? :P

Ah yes, I remember learning about them but need to re-learn them. Thanks!
Reply 584
I think maintenance is easier than breakdown - anyone have a model essay for breakdown? Just so I know what I have is ok?
Reply 585
I keep thinking I know the information well then I try and write an essay and forget everything :frown:
Reply 586
Has anyone got any predictions for bio rhythms and sleep?
They will either ask you Maintenance or Breakdown, only one.

have about sexual selection?
Original post by Mephestic
I think maintenance is easier than breakdown - anyone have a model essay for breakdown? Just so I know what I have is ok?

Critically assess explanations relating to the dissolution of relationships. (25)

The dissolution of relationships refers to why do relationships fail or breakdown. One explanation is the view that there are ‘risk’ factors involved, certain characteristics which increase the likelihood of dissolution. According to Duck, relationships are like cars. Sometimes it is the drivers fault sometimes it is due to mechanical breakdown of the car, and ‘accidents’ can happen for so many reasons. One risk factor for the dissolution of relationships is ‘skills’. In that, some people lack interpersonal skills that are important in relationships, making it mutually satisfying. Individuals lacking these skills, lack social skills and therefore there partners believe that they are uninterested and then the relationship fails. A major reason for breakdown is due to extramarital affairs. A study involving undergraduate students, suggests that affairs could be a result of lack of skills and stimulation. Male undergraduates noted that the reasons for affairs was due to sexual excitement, boredom and variety, however female undergraduates placed emphasis on lack of attention and commitment as a reason for having an affair.

Another explanation for dissolution as proposed by social exchange theory is that people look for rewards in relationships and one of them is stimulation. A lack of stimulation leads a person to results in their partner being bored and dissatisfied. Baxter noted that ‘boredom’ and belief that a relationship ‘is going nowhere’ can lead to dissolution, as relationships require progress. Maintenance difficulties can also affect dissolution, Shaver et al proposed that some relationships fail because they cannot be maintained, for example, long-distance relationships. Going away to university and decreased daily contact can be a reason for dissolution, even for the most romantic relationships, as distance places stress on a relationship. Long-distance relationships are more common than ever as a result of the mobile society people have. Holt and Stone noted that long-distance relationships can be successful as long as the couple reunite regularly.

Lee proposed a 5 stage process of dissolution. The first stage is dissatisfaction with a relationship, in which both partners notice a problem. They then expose the problem and are open about it; the issues raised in this stage are then discussed and negotiated in the third stage. They then try to resolve the issues in stage for if possible. And finally the relationship is terminated if not resolved. Relationships, which went from dissatisfaction (stage1) straight to termination (stage 5), were less intimate and ones that took time were more intimate. One problem with Lee’s model is that it was based on premarital relationships and young participants, so the study is not representative of marital breakdown. The stages of breakdown are more descriptions of breakdowns, than explanations, however these descriptions can be good marriage guidance to enhance a successful marriage.

Rollie and Duck’s model identified 6 stages of breakdown in a relationship. The first being breakdown, where a partner is dissatisfied with the relationship. The second stage involves social withdrawal and resentment and the relationship may end here. The next stage involves a discussion of the problems and the relationship may be saved here. The fourth stage involves social processes, in which other people may be involved for support, helping either dissolution or resolution. The next stage involves mental preparation for life without the partner and finally active stages are made to the self and one has future expectations. Rollie and Duck’s model is supported by real-life dissolution examples. Tashiro and Frazier surveyed undergraduates who had recently broken up from a romantic relationship and found that not only had individuals reported emotional stress but also reported personal growth. This supports the final two stages of Rollie and Duck’s study. Furthermore this model stresses the importance of communication and intervention in a relationship. Lee’s model provides processes before dissolution and Rollie and Duck’s provides processes after the breakdown as well. If both were combined together then there could be an adequate account of relationship. Both models are however, descriptions of breakdowns and not the explanations.

Dissolution may be affected by gender bias. It seems that women are more likely to stress unhappiness and incompatibility. Women are also more likely to remain friends after a breakdown, whereas men just ‘move on’. (Akert) In addition, this study may raise some ethical issues. Talking about relationships may cause emotional harm as this is a sensitive topic. Finally, the results from these studies may be valuable to apply to the real world, in order to prevent dissolution.
Reply 589
Original post by ikz94

Original post by ikz94
If anyone eneds help on relationships,sleep or agression holla my way ive got written essays!

Thank you soo much for these essays!! I can't express how much it is helping me right now :smile:
How do you revise for these exams?? I'm findinf it hard to remember all this information!
Thanks
Reply 590
Hi. :smile:
Which topics are most likely to come up in the January Exam for Relationships.
I know it isn't childhood as that came in the June 2011 exam.
Reply 591
Original post by anisatalib
Critically assess explanations relating to the dissolution of relationships. (25)

May i ask what grade/mark you recieved for this?
Also define what dissolution means?:smile:
Reply 592
Original post by rf229

Isn't sexual selection part of evolution?
Reply 593
Original post by Hogwartz
Isn't sexual selection part of evolution?

yeah, why?
Reply 594
Original post by rf229
yeah, why?

Because i'm pretty sure evolution has already came in the past papers, does this therefore mean that breakdown will come up, and it will rule out maintenance.
Reply 595
Because i'm pretty sure evolution has already came in the past papers, does this therefore mean that breakdown will come up, and it will rule out maintenance.

the question was Outline / Analysis and evaluation of evolutionary explanations of parental investment in humans. Sexual Selection doesn't come under that answer.

Why would maintenance be ruled out?
Reply 596
Original post by rf229
the question was Outline / Analysis and evaluation of evolutionary explanations of parental investment in humans. Sexual Selection doesn't come under that answer.

Why would maintenance be ruled out?

Okay :smile:
Well i'm just slightly confused as in the specification i'm sure sexual selection comes under the same box of evolution. Also the AQA revision book i am revising from, mixes in evolution part (parental investment theory) so i do not know how to seperate these unfortunately :redface:
Can you outline the possible points i am supposed to learn about sexual selection?
Reply 597
I need a good pen for this exam, so my hand doesnt ache.
Any suggestions?
Reply 598
Original post by EffKayy
I need a good pen for this exam, so my hand doesnt ache.
Any suggestions?

Fountain.
Reply 599
Okay :smile:
Well i'm just slightly confused as in the specification i'm sure sexual selection comes under the same box of evolution. Also the AQA revision book i am revising from, mixes in evolution part (parental investment theory) so i do not know how to seperate these unfortunately :redface:
Can you outline the possible points i am supposed to learn about sexual selection?

Sexual selection does come under evolution, along with parental investment. However, the question before was only based on evolutionary explanations of parental investment which is why I think sexual selection may come up.

What you should know:
Definition of sexual selection.
Define the 2 types of sexual selection (intrasexual and intersexual).
Atleast 2 studies into sexual selection. (I've gone for Buss and Dunbar)
Be able to evaluate these 2 studies/sexual selection as a whole... for example, you can say it is reductionist because reproduction isn't always the main goal of all relationships (e.g. homosexual relationships)

Latest

Trending

Trending