The Student Room Group

Whats the difference between Chem B Salters and Chem A?????

I bought an A2 OCR CHEMISTRY revision guide and it said below the title- including salters.

At first I thought maybe it'd have a lot of content that I didn't need and though I should leave it as i might not be able to differentiate between the needed and unneeded info...but in the end I got it anyway.

Will i be reading content that I don't even need?
I've never heard of Salters in my life so I must be doing the other one( chemistry A) All in all- im lost. Please help
Salters gives you a Chemical Storylines book, which gives you a lot of unnecessary, but interesting information to do with cars, the Dead Sea, Karl Ziegler, but some stuff which you will be examined on i.e octane number.
It puts the chemistry into context, but you have a huge amount of coursework to do for A2.
Reply 2
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Salters gives you a Chemical Storylines book, which gives you a lot of unnecessary, but interesting information to do with cars, the Dead Sea, Karl Ziegler, but some stuff which you will be examined on i.e octane number.
It puts the chemistry into context, but you have a huge amount of coursework to do for A2.

You're not going to believe this...
The book is split into Ocr A2 and Ocr Salters in the contents section...hehe
Original post by Yasinhooo
You're not going to believe this...
The book is split into Ocr A2 and Ocr Salters in the contents section...hehe

I've done both, Salters is a lot harder and doesn't explain things anywhere near as well as OCR A. In salters I got a D and in OCR A I got a B.
Reply 4
Original post by Lostwithoutyou
I've done both, Salters is a lot harder and doesn't explain things anywhere near as well as OCR A. In salters I got a D and in OCR A I got a B.

Why did you do both and I'm happy I'm doing Chem A, from what i've heard Salters books are full of interesting information you don't need. AS psychology was like this for me and I spent way longer reading the side stories than I did actually revising.
Chem B is the spawn of Satan himself. Chem A is probably like all the other examboards...
Reply 6
Original post by TheDustyKid
Chem B is the spawn of Satan himself. Chem A is probably like all the other examboards...

You did B too? How did you do results-wise?
Why did you do both and I'm happy I'm doing Chem A, from what i've heard Salters books are full of interesting information you don't need. AS psychology was like this for me and I spent way longer reading the side stories than I did actually revising.

In school I did Salters, I didn't get on with the course or my teachers and so fell behind and didn't ask for help. I resat all my exams on every possible occasion. I had an offer to do a Gateway to VetMed course which was CCC, on results day I got BCD and so was rejected. I'd always wanted to be a vet so I asked if I could go back to school to retake. I was told no, but was then told I could do exams as an external candidate (one of the stipulations of the course was full time attendance at school - the university course is a widening participation course), so I couldn't do this. I phoned all local schools and colleges. Only one an hour and a half away did OCR but it was OCR A. Because no one else did OCR this was my only option and so my previous exams couldn't count. I did fast track AS and did A2 as well (so I did AS and A2 chemistry in a year). I again got an offer for my chosen course, this time I needed a C in chemistry as I'd got my other grades. I got a B and now I'm at uni :biggrin:
You did B too? How did you do results-wise?

I'll find out soon enough ^^ Me and Salters had a love/hate relationship in that I loved the course structure, content, topics etc., but absolutely hated the exams because the mark schemes were ridiculous and made me feel like giving up on life so many times. The things chemistry can do to the brain...:rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Lostwithoutyou
In school I did Salters, I didn't get on with the course or my teachers and so fell behind and didn't ask for help. I resat all my exams on every possible occasion. I had an offer to do a Gateway to VetMed course which was CCC, on results day I got BCD and so was rejected. I'd always wanted to be a vet so I asked if I could go back to school to retake. I was told no, but was then told I could do exams as an external candidate (one of the stipulations of the course was full time attendance at school - the university course is a widening participation course), so I couldn't do this. I phoned all local schools and colleges. Only one an hour and a half away did OCR but it was OCR A. Because no one else did OCR this was my only option and so my previous exams couldn't count. I did fast track AS and did A2 as well (so I did AS and A2 chemistry in a year). I again got an offer for my chosen course, this time I needed a C in chemistry as I'd got my other grades. I got a B and now I'm at uni :biggrin:

At least you got there in the end:colone:
Reply 10
I'll find out soon enough ^^ Me and Salters had a love/hate relationship in that I loved the course structure, content, topics etc., but absolutely hated the exams because the mark schemes were ridiculous and made me feel like giving up on life so many times. The things chemistry can do to the brain...:rolleyes:

Goodluck for your results.
I don't know about A2(our teacher made it out to us that a2 would be much harder) but our AS exams were okay.
Goodluck for your results.
I don't know about A2(our teacher made it out to us that a2 would be much harder) but our AS exams were okay.

Yeah i understand. AS wasn't that bad at all. The hardest exam is F334 (the jan exam of A2), but F335 and F336 are easy! You can do it! :tongue:
Reply 12
Yeah i understand. AS wasn't that bad at all. The hardest exam is F334 (the jan exam of A2), but F335 and F336 are easy! You can do it! :tongue:

Im not doing Salters
Most colleges do Chemistry A, like I've just done at AS. Salters is similar but more illustrative in the respect of applying chem in todays world. + more coursework at A2/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending