The Student Room Group

The jump from GCSE to a levels

I’m predicted grades are 4s 5s and 6s and the a levels I would like to take are Biology chemistry and psychology. The jump from GCSE to a level is pretty huge I would like to achieve all As but from what I heard with my GCSE grade I’m likely to achieve CCD or CDD. The only people that can get As are like student who get all 8s and 9s. Can I still achieve those grades?
To be honest i think saying that your GCSE grades decide your a levels is not true. yes, it might indicate the grades you get, but a lot can change in 2 years and it can depend on a lot of things, for example the amount of effort you put into your a levels.
(Also, im pretty sure even and 8 is high A/low A* territory; 7 is around A and 6 is B.)

I've just finished y13 doing phsyics, chem, maths and further maths and to be honest the transition between y11 and y12 wasn't too big, it felt like a natural progression of the courses and the content (this is the same idea everyone in my year ive spoken to has as well). It was more y12 to y13 that was difficult ( and even that was more in terms of content difficulty, which is likely different for every subject - the main problem for me was further maths). this may be different for more essay like subjects like psychology though as most of my friends are bio/physics, chem, maths

I think you should just aim for the As you want, tbh. :smile:
Original post by difficultrooster
To be honest i think saying that your GCSE grades decide your a levels is not true. yes, it might indicate the grades you get, but a lot can change in 2 years and it can depend on a lot of things, for example the amount of effort you put into your a levels.
(Also, im pretty sure even and 8 is high A/low A* territory; 7 is around A and 6 is B.)

I've just finished y13 doing phsyics, chem, maths and further maths and to be honest the transition between y11 and y12 wasn't too big, it felt like a natural progression of the courses and the content (this is the same idea everyone in my year ive spoken to has as well). It was more y12 to y13 that was difficult ( and even that was more in terms of content difficulty, which is likely different for every subject - the main problem for me was further maths). this may be different for more essay like subjects like psychology though as most of my friends are bio/physics, chem, maths

I think you should just aim for the As you want, tbh. :smile:

How did you fine Chemistry as an A level in Yr 12 to 13. How was the content different from year 11 to 12? And how did you revise. Thanks
Original post by suzy23
How did you fine Chemistry as an A level in Yr 12 to 13. How was the content different from year 11 to 12? And how did you revise. Thanks

(for reference, i did edexcel)
I found y13 more dense?? if that makes sense. there was a lot of content in little time, but that was likely due to the way my school taught it - we barely had a week between finishing the course and study leave (and our study leave is quite late). I think it depends on how you are taught the course. we were taught the majority of the organic content in y13 which in my opinion is more memorisation than inorganics. memorisation is harder for me, so this was a bit of a shock as they didn't really give a heads up.

revising for chemistry was the only time i fully used the spec for every topic (mainly because i found the edexcel one easy to work off of)
- id start by going through the topic in the spec, highlighting stuff that i don't recognise/know/understand.
- then id specifically revise that and do a few practice questions (from physics and maths tutor mostly). sometimes i found stuff in the questions that wasnt in my class notes and stuff - so i add that when i make neat notes
- i didnt always, but at this point id do the proper neat notes (they took me ages so i skipped it for the topics i felt my class notes were good enough)
- skim over the spec before more practice questions

then for like whole topic tests, same idea except i start/focus on topics i find difficult.
i also did flashcards for all the organic reactions and stuff.

hope this was helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest