The Student Room Group

fluteflute's bumper thread of Oxford admissions statistics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Ifanyone fancies looking at vast quantities of statistics on all sorts of fascinating things, take a look at http://economics.ouls.ox.ac.uk/13935/1/uuid0e9cf555-a921-4134-baf4-ce7114795f36-THESIS02.pdf There is so much information in that report!

Another interesting report: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ImportedImages/kli/staff/zimdars-sullivan-heath-2009.pdf

To quote Wikipedia (I've just been looking at some of these sources, and I believe what is said below reflects the reports):

Very interesting read.

This was particularly amusing:

"Candidates also form friendships with other candidates and get caught kissing in the kitchen before their
interview. The latter incident led a selector to comment that not all applicants take the selection process as
serious as ‘they should’."

I've noticed this sort of thing going on from helping out with interviews and I find it funny that some people obviously won't let an Oxford interview stop them going on the pull.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Very interesting read.

This was particularly amusing:

"Candidates also form friendships with other candidates and get caught kissing in the kitchen before their
interview. The latter incident led a selector to comment that not all applicants take the selection process as
serious as ‘they should’."

I've noticed this sort of thing going on from helping out with interviews and I find it funny that some people obviously won't let an Oxford interview stop them going on the pull.
There are certainly candidates who get together, and then resume their relationship when they both end up at Oxford! I suspect there are some who later get married, but I have no evidence for that....

After interviews last year, there was a story (on here I think) about a sexual encounter in a public place at a certain college... :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
There are certainly candidates who get together, and then resume their relationship when they both end up at Oxford! I suspect there are some who later get married, but I have no evidence for that....

After interviews last year, there was a story (on here I think) about a sexual encounter in a public place at a certain college... :tongue:

In the college I was interviewed at (Keble) there were two interviewees who slept together in the JCR and kissed :cute:
Original post by Sic semper tyran
In the college I was interviewed at (Keble) there were two interviewees who slept together in the JCR and kissed :cute:

Slept together as in fell asleep or as in had sex? One make for a much more interesting story than the other :laugh:
Original post by tooambitious
Slept together as in fell asleep or as in had sex? One make for a much more interesting story than the other :laugh:

obviously they didn't have sex in the JCR !! :wink2: no they were kissing and fell asleep in each others arms. we found them early next morning still there :tongue:
obviously they didn't have sex in the JCR !! :wink2: no they were kissing and fell asleep in each others arms. we found them early next morning still there :tongue:

You never know!
You never know!

damn it I had condoms in my room, should have joined for a 3 way :sexface:
damn it I had condoms in my room, should have joined for a 3 way :sexface:

:zomg:, so you're exactly the type of person the report talks about :lol:
:zomg:, so you're exactly the type of person the report talks about :lol:

lol what report? (EDIT: ohh the one about Oxford applicants getting together etc)

btww just to add one night (umm 4 am :colondollar:) it started snowing in Oxford and OMG Keble looked so beautiful!!

2012-12-05 05.21.41.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
lol what report? (EDIT: ohh the one about Oxford applicants getting together etc)

btww just to add one night (umm 4 am :colondollar:) it started snowing in Oxford and OMG Keble looked so beautiful!!

2012-12-05 05.21.41.jpg

Was that this year? I didn't realized it had snowed until I was leaving at 2pm the next afternoon lol. You couldn't really tell on the high street :P
Original post by Rainingshame
Was that this year? I didn't realized it had snowed until I was leaving at 2pm the next afternoon lol. You couldn't really tell on the high street :P

haha yeah I think it was on 5th Dec. this year. The snow pretty much melted during the day though :tongue:
Original post by Cellar Door
Hello!

sorry if you do actually have this info somewhere in the thread, but do you have any data on the aptitude tests, specifically the MAT if possible? The averages on the website are only so much... Things like ranges for those who get a place, highest score that was rejected from interview, highest score that was rejected a place?

Need to while away the weeks till we find out...

Well you can discount anyone getting 100% I was told the highest they've ever had was 99%.
haha yeah I think it was on 5th Dec. this year. The snow pretty much melted during the day though :tongue:

It was the same on the 12th when I was in oxford, though it didn't melt away. For three days it was so cold a mixture of snow and frost had made the trees white :P there was no visible bark underneath. At least that was the case on Allisons walk :P
It was the same on the 12th when I was in oxford, though it didn't melt away. For three days it was so cold a mixture of snow and frost had made the trees white :P there was no visible bark underneath. At least that was the case on Allisons walk :P

The cobwebs were literally 2 mil thick with frost - it was amazing.
Reply 194
Well you can discount anyone getting 100% I was told the highest they've ever had was 99%.

In some years several people have got 100.
Reply 195
Original post by Cellar Door
Hello!

sorry if you do actually have this info somewhere in the thread, but do you have any data on the aptitude tests, specifically the MAT if possible? The averages on the website are only so much... Things like ranges for those who get a place, highest score that was rejected from interview, highest score that was rejected a place?

Need to while away the weeks till we find out...

As Scherzi said, but I'll repeat, outliers like that wouldn't be that useful: a low test score invited to interview would likely be because of illness or a family tragedy.
Original post by RichE
As Scherzi said, but I'll repeat, outliers like that wouldn't be that useful: a low test score invited to interview would likely be because of illness or a family tragedy.

Okay, so mine wasn't super low, but it was still in the 'unlikely to be invited to interview unless other factors suggest otherwise' band, and I hadn't suffered illness or a family tragedy. I suppose you're talking about really low scores?
Hi, I know they say you shouldn't pick a College on how competitive it is, but I'd like a general idea. I'm aware Cambridge publish statistics on applicants per place for all of their colleges, do Oxford do this, and if so, can you send me a link? I'd like a general idea, as for example I know at Cambridge University Trinity is supposedly very competitive.
Someone did a really good thread on this here.

Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by Endless Blue
Someone did a really good thread on this here.

Hope it helps :smile:

Wow :eek:
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending