The Student Room Group

fluteflute's bumper thread of Oxford admissions statistics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by fudgesundae
Looking at that, there does seem to be a top 6 colleges, that consistently rank in the top 6. Most other colleges fluctuate quite a bit, however these 6 are all ways around the same few spots.

Merton, Magdalen, St Johns, New, ChCh and Balliol

Although Balliol has fallen off quite drastically in recent years, and St Johns had a bad year last year.

Do you think they do have higher entry standards? Or work their undergrads harder maybe, more tutes etc.

Five of them are among the six richest undergraduate colleges. (Balliol gets in at the expense of Queen's.) Proportion of science students will have some effect too.
Original post by fluteflute
Once more, some non-exciting stats: a summary of the Norrington table statistics over all years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdHdFZjg4dEExa0ZGeXdyRG5NRWdQMHc

Does anyone know if anyone has looked at the stats to see if there's been "grade inflation" (over the years, more Oxford students being given firsts and upper seconds)? If not, I might sometime... [although I suspect the results would be fairly unexciting, so I might not bother anytime soon!]

I believe I have seen stats about it, don't know where, don't know when.

BTW Wikipedia is wrong. The first year of the divided second was 1986
Looking at that, there does seem to be a top 6 colleges, that consistently rank in the top 6. Most other colleges fluctuate quite a bit, however these 6 are all ways around the same few spots.

Although Balliol has fallen off quite drastically in recent years, and St Johns had a bad year last year.

Do you think they do have higher entry standards? Or work their undergrads harder maybe, more tutes etc.

Colleges tend to have good runs and then to go down.

In the 80s Univ was always high and the House was in the 20s.

It is less about the quality of the students than about attracting, but more importantly keeping, the best academics. With a fixed salary scale, the richer colleges are better able to give the non-cash perks e.g housing that keep the top academics.
Reply 123
Original post by nexttime
Also, there is the correlation between college wealth and results to consider in explaining what causes some colleges to do well.
I did the test on correlation between college size and results (there isn't a significant correlation). Wealth and size would be perfectly doable though, I'll try that sometime!

Of course, figures would be being skewed by relative prevalence of subjects within each college. It is well known that sciences get more firsts than arts.
This isn't really related, but it would be interesting to make a list of the degrees it's 'easy' to get better results in.
Reply 124
Also, there is the correlation between college wealth and results to consider in explaining what causes some colleges to do well.
Original post by BJack
Five of them are among the six richest undergraduate colleges. (Balliol gets in at the expense of Queen's.) Proportion of science students will have some effect too.
Original post by nulli tertius
It is less about the quality of the students than about attracting, but more importantly keeping, the best academics. With a fixed salary scale, the richer colleges are better able to give the non-cash perks e.g housing that keep the top academics.

You all knew this anyway, but the correlation is very clear (at least at the top and bottom).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdGFtb0pKbzA3Y3ViV3ZpTVB4VnVaVHc&output=html

You all knew this anyway, but the correlation is very clear (at least at the top and bottom).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdGFtb0pKbzA3Y3ViV3ZpTVB4VnVaVHc&output=html

Good job, have you used a 5 year average for the Norrington rank or last years rankings?

Extremely clear at the top and bottom. The same top 5 for endowments and Norrington ranking.
Reply 126
Good job, have you used a 5 year average for the Norrington rank or last years rankings?

Extremely clear at the top and bottom. The same top 5 for endowments and Norrington ranking.
Averaged over 2006 to 2011 :smile:
Averaged over 2006 to 2011 :smile:

Cool thanks.
Reply 128
On a related note, do you think there is any way you can edit the opening post to include clearly labelled links to all of the data you have found? It would make it all a lot easier to find for everyone! Just a suggestion.
Done :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Once more, some non-exciting stats: a summary of the Norrington table statistics over all years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdHdFZjg4dEExa0ZGeXdyRG5NRWdQMHc

Does anyone know if anyone has looked at the stats to see if there's been "grade inflation" (over the years, more Oxford students being given firsts and upper seconds)? If not, I might sometime... [although I suspect the results would be fairly unexciting, so I might not bother anytime soon!]

Have you considered that you may be murdered by the admissions office for all those FOIs when you arrive in October? :tongue:

I'd guess that it's mainly due to some colleges having arts/science biases. Surely pooling stops some colleges having higher entry standards? Although I suppose it could be self-selecting a bit.
Reply 131
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Have you considered that you may be murdered by the admissions office for all those FOIs when you arrive in October? :tongue:
That's why I tend not make FOI requests to people who know me in a real life... (e.g. secondary school, current college, St John's College) But I hope they don't... or maybe they'll give me a job :biggrin:

P.S. Can you try looking at the Norrington spreadsheet again? (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdHdFZjg4dEExa0ZGeXdyRG5NRWdQMHc)
(edited 12 years ago)
That's why I tend not make FOI requests to people who know me in a real life... (e.g. secondary school, current college, St John's College) But I hope they don't... or maybe they'll give me a job :biggrin:

P.S. Can you try looking at the Norrington spreadsheet again? (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdHdFZjg4dEExa0ZGeXdyRG5NRWdQMHc)

It's working now, yes :biggrin: I'm still slightly worried by your use of "tend".
Reply 133
It's working now, yes :biggrin: I'm still slightly worried by your use of "tend".
Good good, Google was being silly...

I haven't yet, but I am actually considering making one.... :tongue:
I'd guess that it's mainly due to some colleges having arts/science biases. Surely pooling stops some colleges having higher entry standards? Although I suppose it could be self-selecting a bit.

I did a little analysis about that - looked at the science/arts balance of Merton vs Pembroke (randomly) to see if it was substantially different. I think Pembroke actually had more scientists (and sciences traditionally get more 1sts). Clearly that is only two colleges, and i did not look into the individual subject classification statistics. I suspect that a lengthy detailed analysis on this would actually not reveal much though.

How would pooling ensure equal entry standards? I would raise the minimum, but at the top end it is easily feasible that the most popular colleges get the pick of the best candidates. That does not seem to be especially evident on the basis of the evidence available, however. Wealth is still the strongest correlation.
Reply 135
Mansfield is small, relatively poorly endowed, arts biased, and thus (?) generally bumps along towards the bottom of Norrington. However, it has 'rocketed' to 12th in the most recent table. Apparently all three History & English finalists got Firsts. I reckon fluteflute could have a field day analysing the smallest amount of grade variation necessary to propel a college up or down the table by the largest amount of places :smile:

The Norrington weighting towards Firsts (x5 rather than the arguably more logical x4) is among its most misleading quirks IMO, not least because many of us would in practice be best served by the college at which we would be least likely to obtain a 2.2, rather than most likely to get a First :tongue:
Original post by shoshin
Mansfield is small, relatively poorly endowed, arts biased, and thus (?) generally bumps along towards the bottom of Norrington. However, it has 'rocketed' to 12th in the most recent table. Apparently all three History & English finalists got Firsts. I reckon fluteflute could have a field day analysing the smallest amount of grade variation necessary to propel a college up or down the table by the largest amount of places :smile:

The Norrington weighting towards Firsts (x5 rather than the arguably more logical x4) is among its most misleading quirks IMO, not least because many of us would in practice be best served by the college at which we would be least likely to obtain a 2.2, rather than most likely to get a First :tongue:

This is generally why it is best to use a 5 or 6 year average of rankings as 1 freak year can cause large variation.
Reply 137
This is generally why it is best to use a 5 or 6 year average of rankings as 1 freak year can cause large variation.

But 2011 was a normal year for us; the previous 10 or so were the freak ones :tongue:
Original post by shoshin
But 2011 was a normal year for us; the previous 10 or so were the freak ones :tongue:

haha good one :wink:
Is there any decisive info on whether people who get second interviews are more or less likely to be accepted by either the first or the second college or the uni as a whole?

No worries if not, this is a very interesting thread, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending