The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ThornsnRoses
business mangement?

are you doing business studies for a level, gems?

No, I'm doing GCSEs now. But I'm taking business studies.

In the future, I'd like a computer science or business related degree...but don't know where that would take me.

Amazingtrade says A-level maths is required...I hate maths and wouldn't do it for A-level.
gemgems89

In the future, I'd like a computer science or business related degree...but don't know where that would take me.

Amazingtrade says A-level maths is required...I hate maths and wouldn't do it for A-level.

Just do As level maths...
Joey_Johns
Er, business management ones?

My advice would be to work for a company for say 5 years, if you promoted then great stay there but if not try and save some money up and then start out on your own business. There is nothing more satisfying than owning your own business, it is then you will find out if your goiing to be sussesful. If you are, then great, you will make lots of money, possibly sell the company and then get a high position within a major company. If you dont you could go back to a similar job you had at the start.

Yes, I would like to start my own business maybe one day.

Hmm, what about a...Sales Manager? I've heard people working in sales do very well. Or Human resources...
Reply 83
gemgems89

You can get away with not having A level maths. It depends what job you want to do, I am hoping to a masters in computer science at a good university and I don't even have GCSE maths! (well a D)

Maths simply helps you. If you want to work for the big companies I.E Microsoft then you need A level maths. If you want to setup your own business or work for smaller companies personality and actual ability to the job with little training is more important.
ThornsnRoses

Yeh, that's an idea.
ThornsnRoses

Its not necessary. If you can go out into the real world \nd make big bucks on your own, there is no need for maths. Most of the top entrepeneurs didnt even finnish school, think about that.
Reply 86
Joey_Johns
Its not necessary. If you can go out into the real world \nd make big bucks on your own, there is no need for maths. Most of the top entrepeneurs didnt even finnish school, think about that.

This kind of why I am not too bothered about not having maths. I know that if I want to setup my own business in software development my degree should help with the funding. Plus the fact the university has a good business creation unit for its graduates.
amazingtrade
You can get away with not having A level maths. It depends what job you want to do, I am hoping to a masters in computer science at a good university and I don't even have GCSE maths! (well a D)

Maths simply helps you. If you want to work for the big companies I.E Microsoft then you need A level maths. If you want to setup your own business or work for smaller companies personality and actual ability to the job with little training is more important.

Ah, yes. Thanks for your help! :wink:
Reply 88
Blamps
for MI5 & MI6, it is sadly a well known fact that they go headhunting specifically round Oxford and Cambridge

I know they still like oxbridge people but i think they're starting to spread out their recruitment to other uni's. A couple of months ago they had a recruitment thing at Bristol.
University Administrator

What they do: Everything at universities outside of the lecturing, research, technician and clerical areas. Anything from putting together the prospectus, to flying to Bangkok to visit potential applicants and contacts at other universities, to writing the copy for the latest press release, to crunching numbers to figure out how many student will be around next year, to running the finance dept, to liaising with academics on committee to arrange budgets/policy, to managing the offices of staff who organise registration, applications, exam time tables, lecture time tables, graduation ceremonies etc etc. link
Benefits: Interesting work, good working environment (universities are odd but nice places to work), good starting salary (graduate level positions start on £18,500(ish), good holidays (30 days + 6 "university" days + bank holidays), lots of opportunities to do training (even getting a part time masters paid for mainly by your employer), job for life.
Negetives: People see your job title and assume you're a secretary (I had a step uncle enquire about how I was getting along with my "typing pool" job) :rolleyes: , parking is a nightmare, being surrounded by 18yr olds every september is guaranteed to make you feel old quickly, and watching supposedly intelligent graduates struggle to articulate a request for a ticket to their graduation ticket is likely to make you cringe in recognition.
GCSEs: n/a
A-Levels: Doesn't matter as you get enough to do a degree (almost any degree)
Degree: Good degree from any university (2i or 1st (and a few people with 2iis and 3rds but they tend to be from the better universities))
Other: excellent public speaking skills, good interpersonal skills, interest in current affairs, analytical/reasoning skills and being able to cope with academics on a regular basis without resorting to violence.
Reply 90
theECONOMIST
Economist: At least a Masters, if not a phd in econ.

Banking: (well for investent Banking)- A good 2:1, or first class from any degree course from one of top universities in country.
MBA (from top b-school) required to progress from analyst to associate.
CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) designation would be a plus, though many have it in the investment management department, especially on the buy-side.

banking - a hell of a lot of luck, confidence and smarts and luck again.
would like to get into business/HR/sales/marketing type career but since I found out that 1 in 8 undergraduates do a business degree i was really put off since there must be an emmense demand for jobs. would a ppe(philosophy, politics and economics) degree help me get into these sectors or is a business degree vital? i just don't want to end up not able to get a job- keep my options open.
viciouscircle
would like to get into business/HR/sales/marketing type career but since I found out that 1 in 8 undergraduates do a business degree i was really put off since there must be an emmense demand for jobs. would a ppe(philosophy, politics and economics) degree help me get into these sectors or is a business degree vital? i just don't want to end up not able to get a job- keep my options open.

HR is fairly easy to get into but notoriously difficult to get promoted well in.
Feel like I might have killed a very useful thread so I thought I'd give it a bump while the forum is quite busy :smile:
Reply 94
uve forgot sports psychology
Reply 95
Quantity Surveying. Absolutely crap when you start out but get the RICS and 8-10 years behind you and it's a terrific career.

Bag's of opportunity to work overseas and a great whack if you work internationally.
Reply 96
happysunshine
I hope this thread takes off. The idea is, I shall list some careers and you just state the qualifications needed and hopefully this should help a lot of our members.

For example:
Doctor:
GCSEs:
A-Levels:
Degree:
Other: - can be other qualifications or things that would look good on your ucas form.

Accountant

Actor

Actuary

In advertising

Architect

Artist

Banking

Barrister

Biochemist

Broadcasting

Business Management

Buyer

Dentist

Dietician

Economist

Electrician

Fashion

Information Technology

Insurance

MP

Nurse

Optician

Physiotherapist

Pilot

Social Worker

Solicitor

Teacher

Veterinary Surgeon

Zoologist

Fill in as many as you want. If there are any other careers people want adding then just say so.

MMM Interesting
Reply 97
what about

sports person?
riding instructor?
driving instructor?
psycologist?
forensic scientist?
policeman/woman/dog?
farmer?
housing inspector?
builder?
food and hygiene inspector?

or are all of these not good enough for you?
Reply 98
[*]Architect - Normally, a BArch and RIBA membership.

[*]Barrister - Normally, a LLb(Hons) + BVC course + 1 year pupillage

[*]MP - Normally, eel like skin and "lying skills"

[*]Solicitor - Normally, a LLb(Hons) + CPE + 2 year training contract

[*]Teacher - Normally, a love of unionism and children (in that order)
Reply 99
Me2
what about

sports person?
riding instructor?
driving instructor?
psycologist?
forensic scientist?
policeman/woman/dog?
farmer?
housing inspector?
builder?
food and hygiene inspector?

or are all of these not good enough for you?

What sort of builder? There's two types.

The first is the guy that looks at your roof and makes a "tut tut" sound while showing the world the crack of his ass. No qualifications are required.

The second might be a construction project manager in charge of building a $800 million dollar hospital.

He or she'd need likely have at least a BSc(Hons) in construction management or similar and membership of the Chartered Institute of Building (a Chartered Builder). He or she might also have membership of another professional organization; the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors is typical. At least 15 years proven construction management experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending