How could careers advice be better?

Regular one-on-one career guidance sessions/mentors 21%
More support from universities 16%
Improve awareness about different options after school/college 19%
Official advice from the government about options available 3%
Better work experience opportunities 42%
Something else (tell us in the thread)0%
Total votes: 108
When you're in education, you'll probably start thinking about what job you'll want in the future.

So what do you think about the careers advice on offer at the moment and how could it be improved?

Maybe you'd benefit from regular one-on-one career guidance sessions, more support from universities or better work experience opportunities?

Let us know if there's any potential careers support that you think would help you make more confident decisions about your future :smile:
Personally, I find that a lot of 'career advice' sessions are quite boring as it just seems to be someone coming in and basically trying to go on about why apprenticeships are better compared to a degree. One-on-one discussions about career guidance are good however I feel like it would just be something that would probably be forgotten about in the long term and it feels like information that I would already know about, such as how to use the UCAS website and looking at Uni courses
For the record my school was amazing with all the resources they provided for careers advice, but they did focus very heavily on STEM and careers like law finance science and technology whereas I (and lots of other students) would have found it more beneficial had there been more information on humanities subjects/careers. I’m going to study languages at uni and in my 7 years of secondary they never offered a talk/any information about language careers/uni courses, the closest they got to it was a liberal arts talk. Obviously at the moment STEM is a huge part of careers but humanities still matter too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending