The Student Room Group

Uni' people!Are you laid back or the geeky type?

Just wondering what type of person you are?

I am more in the middle, i go to all my lectures, seminars and labs. I do all the uni' work myself, and rarely ask for help, unless i am really stuck on a certain question.

I know a guy who was possibly the most geekiest person ever, he use to sit right at the front next to the lecturer, and always ask questions to the lecturer at the beginning, during a break and after the lecturer has finish. Always asking people in his department that he didn't know for help. Also going into the lecturer's room asking for help, and even asking what exam questions are gonna come up!!! He was cool, but had no friend, he got a 2:1 in the end and he was 21

I also know a guy who is very laid back, partys and goes clubbing all the time, never go to lectures or seminar, hands in his coursework after the deadline. He's 22, and is in his 1st year, after failing uni' 3 times!

Scroll to see replies

I'm horizontal.
Reply 2
Not quite as geeky as the guy you describe - I know people like that too - but I'm still pretty geeky. I'm the sort of person who rings University Security to get loud parties stopped at 1 am when I'm trying to sleep.
I'm forever being told to chill and relax more, so guess that would make me the geeky type. I'm not as geeky as the guy the OP described tho!
Reply 4
i go to lectures but i'll leave essays till a few hours before the deadline....
im not as bad as the first time i went to uni - went to about 2 things in a whole semester :-\
I'm somewhere in the middle. Leave my essays till the last minute but usually get decent results. Go to all my seminars and lectures but party hard as well! I've done a few all-nighters and still managed to make my 9 o'clock lectures.... :smile:
i'm inbetween, but also quite laid back...i go to all my lectures/seminars and the like, and i've never taken a sick day off placement, but....i leave most things to the last minute and then pull allnihgters to get assignments in, roll in with a hangover almost every morning, and just generally dont feel that i party enough nevermind too much!
Reply 7
I'm quite bad, I used to get all my work done before - stress brought out the best in me. But since coming off my gap year I have become really laid back - missed a lot of lectures and several seminars. But I'm sure I wil get into gear soon ...
Reply 8
I do my work...eventually! I also go out and enjoy myself, but I do want to do well and no when I need to get down to some work.
Reply 9
A mixture. A geek in the sense that I have to attend my all my lecture (I'm paying for them after all!), but then I've been brought up (for 4.5 years) in Aussie-land- I have to be laid back, or I'd be betraying that little education it taught me...
Reply 10
I get annoyed with myself if I miss a class, I try to read everything set, and I try to do work a bit in advance of deadlines. I get help from tutors, but only if it's offered, I don't go and bug them nonstop. And I definitely don't ask questions in lectures :eek:
Reply 11
I'm geeky, but not lecturer's pet geeky. I take my work seriously and always go to lectures and seminars, but I do take time off and enjoy myself too.

--------------

The guy in the OP doesn't sound especially geeky - he sounds more like he needed all the help he could get. Sounds like he was struggling to keep up to me.
Reply 12
Hmm, somewhere in the middle I suppose. I try to go to everything, but sometimes it doesn't happen.
Reply 13
guest1984
I know a guy who was possibly the most geekiest person ever, he use to sit right at the front next to the lecturer, and always ask questions to the lecturer at the beginning, during a break and after the lecturer has finish. Always asking people in his department that he didn't know for help. Also going into the lecturer's room asking for help, and even asking what exam questions are gonna come up!!! He was cool, but had no friend, he got a 2:1 in the end and he was 21

I also know a guy who is very laid back, partys and goes clubbing all the time, never go to lectures or seminar, hands in his coursework after the deadline. He's 22, and is in his 1st year, after failing uni' 3 times!
Ok now I sit at the front, (only person in the first lecture of this term to do so) and do no "expected" work (as in ill read over the seminar material before the seminar, never do it though, I prefere a general idea of whats going on rather than answer the questions expected) but never ask questions (as the first rule of Project Mayhem is embedded within my mind), do a couple of hours of personal work a week and most of the other time watch T.V. endlessly (on 62 shows constantly at moment... that equates to about 40 hours a week).

I can't be bothered now though, I spent all this time doing what (I still consider to be) my best piece of work to date and it got 59, think I'll just go down the standard road of coping lecture notes into a coherent essay rather than try quoting reputable papers.. churn out essays quicker (30minutes still my record for 73% mark, none of this 8 hours stuff), and third year lecture notes still appear to be the way forward!
I'm not at uni yet, but I know I won't miss any lectures even if I'm ill. I'm not gonna waste this opportunity. On the other hand, I'm not gonna waste the opportunity to have fun either! :smile: I don't think I'd have the guts to pester the lecturers unless I had to, anyway I like sorting things for myself... :p: so semi-geeky I suppose
Reply 15
Poica
I'm geeky, but not lecturer's pet geeky. I take my work seriously and always go to lectures and seminars, but I do take time off and enjoy myself too.

Lol I should hope you do attend all lectures and seminars given that you only have 5 hours a wekk at most!
Reply 16
I am a bit of both really. I sit at the front (although my closest freinds do as well) as I can't see at the back of large lecture rooms. However, I do like a good party (although not when others are trying to sleep, unlike some of the other people on my corridor), and I do occasionally phone up the porters to get loud parties stopped when I am trying to sleep. I also tend to keep things till the last minute (like my revision, I haven't done any and my first exam is next week)
Reply 17
the laid back type you described - but seeing as it's an art college/uni that's nothing unusual. :|
I worked hard and I played hard at uni - party when you can, work when you must. I wanted a first and I got one but I had a great time at uni too.
I'm fairly laid back. I go to all my classes and hand in all my work, but I don't always do as much reading as I'm supposed to. This term I'm planning on being geeky though! I want to get a decent end of year mark and my first couple of essays were a bit mediocre!

Latest

Trending

Trending