The Student Room Group

"Beijing is a Nightmare"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jiayi930829
X

I guess the difference between the author and you is he likes to be able to speak his mind and you just don't care.

Original post by dnumberwang
Ridiculous article. This artist, no matter how right his views are, will do nothing but hinder progress

oh and I fully recommend that people visit Beijing, lots of good food there

Well that is exactly what the CCP would say!
Reply 21
Original post by RyanT
The Chinese government is more competant than most. People like Weiwei concern me, in pursuit of their ideals they will end up making the reality worse. Like the arch-tratior Yeltsin did to the Russian people.

As for democracy, it really is over-rated. Switzerland has the only democracy worth envying. I voted in the last few elections and it really is just lip-service from the polictians. A democracy isn't about voting, but about forcing a government to do what the people want them to do. It's an important distinction that is often lost on people. The PRC fears the Chinese people so it actually acts more in their interests than a more "democratic" government would - as it compensates for its illegitimacy.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Wow. It is so rare to have someone talk sense in a political thread without sentimentalism clouding their judgement. I agree with you to the letter. Bravo, bravo.
Original post by Wucker

OP, why are you pretending that you care?
Original post by Wucker
I guess the difference between the author and you is he likes to be able to speak his mind and you just don't care.

Well that is exactly what the CCP would say!

I wouldn't say referring to official policy as 'ill' is exactly the wording used by loyalists.

Just sayin'
Western 'democracy' is just an illusion. We were so against going to war yet the people in charge didn't give a sh*t about our views.
Original post by LaughingBro
OP, why are you pretending that you care?

I do care that an emerging superpower is an illiberal dictatorship. Why don't you?

Original post by NietzschanGuy
I wouldn't say referring to official policy as 'ill' is exactly the wording used by loyalists.

Just sayin'

The sentiment is the same.

Original post by toga
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Wow. It is so rare to have someone talk sense in a political thread without sentimentalism clouding their judgement. I agree with you to the letter. Bravo, bravo.

Supporting democracy and free speech is "sentimentalism".

Well I'll be damned.

Western 'democracy' is just an illusion. We were so against going to war yet the people in charge didn't give a sh*t about our views.

Live in a non-democratic country and then tell me it is an illusion.

Really, people have no idea how lucky they are to live in the UK.
Original post by Wucker

^ It's only lucky for a white person to live in UK. Try being Chinese in the UK and experience the plentiful racism.
Original post by Wucker
The sentiment is the same.

Much though I loathe saying things like this: 'except for that fact it is clearly in direct opposition to the accusation you made.'
Much though I loathe saying things like this: 'except for that fact it is clearly in direct opposition to the accusation you made.'

Well, my understanding of what you said is that speaking ones mind in China hinders progress of the state.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.
^ It's only lucky for a white person to live in UK. Try being Chinese in the UK and experience the plentiful racism.

This is just absurd.
Original post by Wucker

^ You're not Chinese so how would you know!?
^ You're not Chinese so how would you know!?

Statistically speaking I am more likely to be a victim of a hate crime than you are because I am part Jewish.

You don't see me whining about racism, though.
Original post by Wucker
Well, my understanding of what you said is that speaking ones mind in China hinders progress of the state.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

'

This kind of activism is only going to stop China from becoming more free.
Oh and I'd like to see you post this in the Travel forum
This kind of activism is only going to stop China from becoming more free.

Please, then, tell me the correct approach to take.

Should we all just refuse to criticize the Chinese government until it allows free speech?

That makes perfect sense.
Original post by Wucker
It isn't necessarily the best, but it doesn't follow that dictatorship is acceptable.

This is completely incorrect. Taiwan has very competitive elections, and the ruling party switched in 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China_presidential_election,_2008). I am going to hazard a guess and say that there are emotional reasons that prevent you from accepting that Taiwan might be a better place to live than China.

That is because Germany is a developed economy. Developed economies will never grow as fast because they have to rely on new technology for productivity to increase. Developing economies can upgrade using current technology because in these economies the technology is new. That is a simply fact of economics.

I was going to respond to you until you said that I believe the PRC is a better place to live than Taiwan because of "emotional reasons" :rolleyes: When did I ever say that it was a better place to live?. Strawman arguments are a barrel of fun. Good day.
Original post by Wucker
Please, then, tell me the correct approach to take.

Should we all just refuse to criticize the Chinese government until it allows free speech?

That makes perfect sense.

Something like this is a good a starting point as an, showing that the people do have a voice. Art, directed at foreigners, on the other hand...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MandarinStudent
I was going to respond to you until you said that I believe the PRC is a better place to live than Taiwan because of "emotional reasons" :rolleyes: When did I ever say that it was a better place to live?. Strawman arguments are a barrel of fun. Good day.

I cannot fathom why else you would believe that Taiwan is not a democracy.

I mean, it isn't like you have provided any evidence to back up your claims.
Something like this is a good a starting point as an, showing that the people do have a voice. Art, directed at foreigners, on the other hand...

I see, so you can protest, as long as they are not political.

Makes perfect sense...
Original post by Wucker
I see, so you can protest, as long as they are not political.

Makes perfect sense...

Well, a massive country that's never been free in its millennia of history, and in the past few years has probably been more free than it's ever been, has to start somewhere. This somewhere is most certainly not Ai Weiwei's art.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending