The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language & Literature

I am very stressed for the english exams, i must get a 9 for both i just do not know if i can, for my easter mocks i got an 8 in both. For my recent essays for lit i got 29/30 3x in a row. I am mostly scared for my language and the pressure is on me to reproduce the same quality work for literature.
Hi, do you have any tips or essays that you’ve done for English literature. I’m currently working at a grade 7 and I’m aiming for an 8 (I need an 8 to get into my sixth form)! As for English language, I feel the exact same !!
Reply 2
can u guys give me tips on eng lang plz .will be much appreciated and if possible give me examples of grade 7+ work.
Reply 3
Original post by libbieb
Hi, do you have any tips or essays that you’ve done for English literature. I’m currently working at a grade 7 and I’m aiming for an 8 (I need an 8 to get into my sixth form)! As for English language, I feel the exact same !!

I have 2 essays on the poetry anthology power and conflict. One compares Tissue with the emigree, the other is ozymandias and storm on the island. My other one is on An Inspector calls.
My top tips:
Poetry - ensure you know a quote from the beginning, middle, ending so you can talk about how the poem progresses and the effect it has depending on your argument. Also involve structure and word level analysis.
The other texts - (i do macbeth, jekyll and hyde, an inspector calls AQA) similarly aim to have a few quotes from the beginning, middle and ending of the texts for each character, try have some in pairs which you can contrast to build up your argument. If some characters mirror each other's language mention it if it fits with your argument. Also for AQA link every analysis to context that you can link to the question
Reply 4
Original post by siocrystal
can u guys give me tips on eng lang plz .will be much appreciated and if possible give me examples of grade 7+ work.

for english language what i do while i read the sources is have a littel keyword section where i note my feelings and questions throughout reading the source. Its my own way of cheating the "what effect does this technique create?". For english lit i have already replied to someone about it, it should be just above this comment
Reply 5
Original post by Nat16.
for english language what i do while i read the sources is have a littel keyword section where i note my feelings and questions throughout reading the source. Its my own way of cheating the "what effect does this technique create?". For english lit i have already replied to someone about it, it should be just above this comment

i was just wondering for an inspector calls have you revised botht hemes and characters or are oyu planning to just stick to one
Reply 6
Original post by misa!!
i was just wondering for an inspector calls have you revised botht hemes and characters or are oyu planning to just stick to one

I did both just to extend my knowledge on how they link. Honestly do what suits you, if a question on Eva/Inspector/Gerald comes up im most likely to choose them but otherwise i would do the theme
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
would it be possible if i post a story and u tell me how i can improve and if possible what grade i can get?
Original post by Nat16.
I have 2 essays on the poetry anthology power and conflict. One compares Tissue with the emigree, the other is ozymandias and storm on the island. My other one is on An Inspector calls.
My top tips:
Poetry - ensure you know a quote from the beginning, middle, ending so you can talk about how the poem progresses and the effect it has depending on your argument. Also involve structure and word level analysis.
The other texts - (i do macbeth, jekyll and hyde, an inspector calls AQA) similarly aim to have a few quotes from the beginning, middle and ending of the texts for each character, try have some in pairs which you can contrast to build up your argument. If some characters mirror each other's language mention it if it fits with your argument. Also for AQA link every analysis to context that you can link to the question

Thank you so much!
could you send the poetry essays, and any others that you have?!
Reply 9
would it be possible if i post a story and u tell me how i can improve and if possible what grade i can get?

im not an examiner but sure i can provide you with improvements
Reply 10
Original post by libbieb
Thank you so much!
could you send the poetry essays, and any others that you have?!

I only have one essay typed up my teacher has my book she is using it to teach the year 10s. Heres the link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q976PXbxzQVRbK2VgwUHu-e37I6kr0MEVe6JOoaT3sA/edit?usp=sharing
thx sm anything helps.

An interesting offer.

Where am I?I fell helplessly, grinding on my teeth, digging my nails in to my head . My head was throbbing, as though I had been hit mercilessly with all one’s might .

‘no ,NO!’not again I managed to stutter ,under my heavy breathing. I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest, desperately attempting to escape it’s prison. Cold sweat dripped down my body as water would from a melting icicle. A hypothermic shiver surrounded me in captivity, easily taming me.

I tried to scream but to my disappointment failed miserably so I sat there begging for help(it was no use) I was as good as dead.

Her darkly disfigured face just inches from mine. The peculiarity of her unfamiliar, yet well-known presence ,that altered my brain chemistry. Fear turned to bewilderment. My ice-cold tears ran dry ,staring in to her pale face. Her features began to unravel one by one; the heart shaped lips, the soft hazel eyes and sharp jaw line. At first I stared blankly, puzzled. “who was she? could this be deja vu?”I could feel my muscles tensing up once again as I began to perceive her identity.

It was her.

She tormented me every dawn . I never wanted to do it but she made me, as though i was a puppet whome’s stings were at her fingertips. I was always the weak one tolerating all kinds off torture from kids at school and “friends”.I regret what i did, i tried to tell them it wasant me but to my dismay no one believed me. No one did, even when she was'nt around so why am i so distraught . I mean they brought it upon themselves .They made me live in agony leaving me no choice. As much as I blamed her, she was the only source of light I discovered in the depths of darkness . At first i was a no one . A soda can being kicked around. Now because of her, I at least feel human.Why am I angry at her? i should be thanking her .She saved me she gave me a reason to live. For months I was labelled a monster. I hated myself but now I comprehend it as a clear mystification. Maybe us so called criminals/monsters are'nt just broken people, maybe we’re the victims. The ones who chose to live rather than leaving. The one’s who chose to fight back, rather than living as an unnoticeable victim -living every second as a chore.

She was the enemy I fought, only to realise she was my only friend. . I was'nt going to hate myself any more. Maybe it was time to not only appreciate myself but her. I could feel my body regaining its energy . I smiled wrapping my hands around her, burring my face in to her shoulder as I shed my last tears .I loosened my grip to walk over to the mirror. I wiped the tears off my off my hazel eyes.

“So what do u say?” as she held out her hand. A smile spread across my severely chapped, heart-shaped lips.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
thx sm anything helps.

An interesting offer.

Where am I?I fell helplessly, grinding on my teeth, digging my nails in to my head . My head was throbbing, as though I had been hit mercilessly with all one’s might .

‘no ,NO!’not again I managed to stutter ,under my heavy breathing. I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest, desperately attempting to escape it’s prison. Cold sweat dripped down my body as water would from a melting icicle. A hypothermic shiver surrounded me in captivity, easily taming me.

I tried to scream but to my disappointment failed miserably so I sat there begging for help(it was no use) I was as good as dead.

Her darkly disfigured face just inches from mine. The peculiarity of her unfamiliar, yet well-known presence ,that altered my brain chemistry. Fear turned to bewilderment. My ice-cold tears ran dry ,staring in to her pale face. Her features began to unravel one by one; the heart shaped lips, the soft hazel eyes and sharp jaw line. At first I stared blankly, puzzled. “who was she? could this be deja vu?”I could feel my muscles tensing up once again as I began to perceive her identity.

It was her.

She tormented me every dawn . I never wanted to do it but she made me, as though i was a puppet whome’s stings were at her fingertips. I was always the weak one tolerating all kinds off torture from kids at school and “friends”.I regret what i did, i tried to tell them it wasant me but to my dismay no one believed me. No one did, even when she was'nt around so why am i so distraught . I mean they brought it upon themselves .They made me live in agony leaving me no choice. As much as I blamed her, she was the only source of light I discovered in the depths of darkness . At first i was a no one . A soda can being kicked around. Now because of her, I at least feel human.Why am I angry at her? i should be thanking her .She saved me she gave me a reason to live. For months I was labelled a monster. I hated myself but now I comprehend it as a clear mystification. Maybe us so called criminals/monsters are'nt just broken people, maybe we’re the victims. The ones who chose to live rather than leaving. The one’s who chose to fight back, rather than living as an unnoticeable victim -living every second as a chore.

She was the enemy I fought, only to realise she was my only friend. . I was'nt going to hate myself any more. Maybe it was time to not only appreciate myself but her. I could feel my body regaining its energy . I smiled wrapping my hands around her, burring my face in to her shoulder as I shed my last tears .I loosened my grip to walk over to the mirror. I wiped the tears off my off my hazel eyes.

“So what do u say?” as she held out her hand. A smile spread across my severely chapped, heart-shaped lips.

I'm thinking around a Level 3 ish (im only marking at the content and organisation). What i noticed from my previous work, examiners like concise and conceptualised responses - ones that focus on one ides and incorporate it throughout to act as an extended metaphor.
I posted the link to one of my poetry comparison responses so feel free to read it.
As for the story i will write my improvements below.

An interesting offer.

Awaking from an agonising nightmare she has brought upon me yet again. My head throbbing, as though I had been hit mercilessly with all one’s might, with no alternative but to succumb to its attacks.

I fell helplessly.
I fell grinding on my teeth.
I fell digging my nails in to my head.

Stuttering ‘No, NO! Not AGAIN" under my heavy breathing, I felt my heart pounding out of my chest, its desperately attempts to escape it’s prison rendered futile. Cold sweat dripped down my body as water would from a melting icicle. A hypothermic shiver surrounded me in my captivity, taming every part of me.

Screaming, yet again.
Failing, yet again.
Begging, yet again was no surprise.

Nightmares plague me constantly, nightmares of her.

At first I stared blankly, puzzled. “who was she? could this be deja vu?” I felt my muscles tensing up once again as I began to register her identity, this time her ghost was not just a product of my conscience. Her darkly disfigured face is just inches from mine. The peculiarity of her unfamiliar, yet potent presence which altered my brain chemistry with every moment. Fear turned to bewilderment. Ice-cold tears ran dry across my cheeks whilst her pale face captivated me almost like one is with a priceless jewel. Her features began to unravel one by one; the heart shaped lips, the soft hazel eyes and sharp jaw line. At first I stared blankly, puzzled. “who was she? could this be deja vu?” I felt my muscles tensing up once again as I began to register her identity.

She tormented me every dawn mercillesly, rendered me a puppet whose strings were at her fingertips. I had always been powerless, tolerating all forms of torture from “friends” and anyone that saw fit.
I regreted what i had done and tried to prove my innocence but to my dismay no one believed me.

No one.

I took fate into my own hands after all they brought it upon themselves. They made me live in agony leaving me no choice. They are solely responsible for the severity of their punishment.
I blamed her yet still she was the only source of light I discovered in the depths of darkness.

At first i was a nobody. A presence whom had been ignored, now because of her, I at least feel human.

Why am I angry at her? i should be thanking her. She saved me she provided me with a reason to live after being labelled a monster. I hated myself but now I comprehend it as a clear mystification. Maybe us so called criminals/monsters are not just broken people, perhaps we are the victims. The ones who chose to live rather than leave. The one’s who have the courage to end their misery rather than eternaly live in agony.

She was the enemy I fought, only to realise she was my only friend. I cannot hate myself any more. It is time to not only appreciate myself but her.

My body regained its energy. I smiled wrapping my hands around her, burring my face in to her shoulder as I shed my last tears. I loosened my grip to walk over to the mirror. I wiped the tears off my off my hazel eyes.

She was once my nightmare and now my saviour.

nat 16 honestly i cant thank u enough .i REALLY appreciate the time u took to improve my story .i really needed this! :suith:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
nat 16 honestly i cant thank u enough .i REALLY appreciate the time u took to improve my story .i really needed this! :suith:

no problem, though i want to change that username thingy that appears to everyone, is it possible i tried but cant.
(edited 11 months ago)
Thank you so much! For some reason it's not letting me access it ?

Original post by Nat16.
I only have one essay typed up my teacher has my book she is using it to teach the year 10s. Heres the link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q976PXbxzQVRbK2VgwUHu-e37I6kr0MEVe6JOoaT3sA/edit?usp=sharing
Original post by Nat16.
I am very stressed for the english exams, i must get a 9 for both i just do not know if i can, for my easter mocks i got an 8 in both. For my recent essays for lit i got 29/30 3x in a row. I am mostly scared for my language and the pressure is on me to reproduce the same quality work for literature.

just wanted to say thank you for sending me the essay, i can't figure out how to send you a private message, but thank you so much!
Reply 17
Original post by libbieb
just wanted to say thank you for sending me the essay, i can't figure out how to send you a private message, but thank you so much!

your welcome i hope it gave you an idea of what to write

Quick Reply

Latest