The Student Room Group

Anyone here go to Solihull Sixth Form?

I'm going to apply there for next year.

So yeah, how are the classes?
How much students are there generally in one class?
How is the social side of things, sport facilities etc?

I want to do physics maths psychology and history.

I know it's one massive place and that there's bound to be idiots who just mess around but I've also heard its one of the best non-grammar schools around birmingham :s ?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What, no one :s-smilie: ?
Reply 2
I just started this Monday so I can answer sort of :s-smilie:

Well so far they've been alright, tbf we've just been going over GCSE stuff atm.

In bio, chem, and maths there's about 18-25ish but in geology there's only 10.

There seems to be a lot going on but I haven't really bothered with all of that yet.
Original post by J_Peter

I know it's one massive place and that there's bound to be idiots who just mess around but I've also heard its one of the best non-grammar schools around birmingham :s ?

There seems to be a good number of SSFC students on here! I'm in Year 13 now :colondollar:

The classes are good, just depends on what you do really. I've never really heard of anything 'bad' happening in any classes, and they're usually fairly relaxed (up until exams that is). We have a mixture of independent learning/group work/computers/ and we still make posters in the economics department :wink:. Obviously the workload is much greater than GCSE but as long as you don't let it all pile up, it's really not as much as people expect. However, I've heard that with the sciences/maths then you either have to have a 'flair' for the subject or put in so much work - or you're never really going to get excellent results. I did history at AS and there's a mixture of good/bad staff.... :tongue:

In one class there's around 20, and probably no more than 25, depends on how many take that subject.

Well there is a lot of enrichment/sports you can do, and they're fairly good from what I can see... but the only time I set foot in the sports department is when I go to the sports hall for exams...:tongue: So I can't really comment, but it does seem quite good and they try and fit the sports around your timetable as well, but my friends say the training is tough (a lot of cross country from what I gather)

I'm guessing you're going to be starting September 2012? So I'd say this advice: You MUST pick subjects you're enthusiastic about. Not what you think will get you a good job or what your parents what you to. Seriously, if you're not passionate about the subject you want to study then the subject will be very hard for you to learn and understand. So many of my friends chose subjects they're good at, rather than what they really want to learn and many got the lowest grades in the subject in what they were previously 'good' at GCSE - as A-levels are a completely different world.
Was a good college a few years ago but not sure whether it has deteriorated since, or what changes have been made, it is generally crowded in the canteen so would advise go into town to get food, class sizes tend to be the norm of 30 and under but depends on course I would say. Would say it is the better college out of the two in Solihull
'ello. :redface:
Original post by Dominicque
'ello. :redface:

:biggrin:
Another Solihull sixth former! What year are you in? :colondollar:
Original post by blondie :)
:biggrin:
Another Solihull sixth former! What year are you in? :colondollar:

YR 12. :smile:
Original post by Dominicque
YR 12. :smile:

Ahhhh how're you finding it? :biggrin:
Original post by blondie :)
Ahhhh how're you finding it? :biggrin:

Not too bad; just abit anxious with English Lit. :erm: :redface:
Original post by J_Peter

I'd probably agree that it's the best non-grammar in/around Birmingham.
I'll be applying there for next year too along with a few of the grammar schools.
Are you applying for any of the grammars?
Reply 11
Original post by J_Peter

Saaafe:smile: im in year 13 at the moment and its pretty good just a lot of work haha:biggrin: would reccomend it over going to a school sixth form.

what history are you gonna study btw? :smile:
Reply 12
thanks guys!

keep them posts coming :smile:
Original post by J_Peter

I heard Joseph Chamberlain is the best A level college in Birmingham & Solihul.
Reply 14
Yo, I started late...
It's just been my first week and it's going really, REALLY well...

Hell, the teaching is great, no idiots messing around and people, at least from my experience, do talk to you and it's easy to go from aquantinces to friends.
Massive park closeby, tennis courts, chess club, badmington/table tennis club, faith groups and even a LGBT group... Loads of stuff to do.
Even the coaching sessions, despite being a hour per week are great- i've already made many aquantinces.
The library and study facilities are also awesome.

Great place, when you go to the opening evening this Nov, make sure you look around- if you have enough time that is!
Reply 15
Original post by MSI_10
Yo, I started late...

Hell, the teaching is great, no idiots messing around and people, at least from my experience, do talk to you and it's easy to go from aquantinces to friends.
Massive park closeby, tennis courts, chess club, badmington/table tennis club, faith groups and even a LGBT group... Loads of stuff to do.
Even the coaching sessions, despite being a hour per week are great- i've already made many aquantinces.

Great place, when you go to the opening evening this Nov, make sure you look around- if you have enough time that is!

TOTALLY agree. It's an awesome place. Def try to get to an open day, i'm a student guide, so come say hi :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by s_axo
TOTALLY agree. It's an awesome place. Def try to get to an open day, i'm a student guide, so come say hi :biggrin:

lol yh... if you dont mind me asking, what subjects are you doing?
Reply 17
Original post by MSI_10
lol yh... if you dont mind me asking, what subjects are you doing?

I study Eng lit, Philosophy, Sociology and psychology :smile: Yourself? x
Original post by MSI_10
Yo, I started late...

Oh, so you got in well done! :biggrin: (Sorry, I didn't reply to you, as I wasn't sure what to say. :colondollar: BION) I didn't think they let people in this late, you're very lucky! How hard was it to catch up? :smile: Also, what subjects are you doing, again? :smile: You seem to be settling in fine. :tongue: H/W over 1/2 term?
Original post by chocoholic.
I heard Joseph Chamberlain is the best A level college in Birmingham & Solihul.

It has the facilities, just not anything else...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending