The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Also what's the tube like down in London? Is it really not very busy like it says on the news?

I would also like to know the state of the tube these days... I'm considering taking a cab to avoid the madness if it's going to be so bad. :/
Original post by kikichi
Hello, please can any one give me any tips for the Slaughter or Shearman interviews? I have them early next week!

Also what's the tube like down in London? Is it really not very busy like it says on the news?

I take the tube to work every day and it's been less busy than usual. The Olympics people are going to a different direction to the city (i.e. away from it) and at different hours.
Reply 1382
Original post by The West Wing
I take the tube to work every day and it's been less busy than usual. The Olympics people are going to a different direction to the city (i.e. away from it) and at different hours.

Are the roads also clear boss? (I.e. no extra traffic)?
Original post by DJkG.1
Are the roads also clear boss? (I.e. no extra traffic)?

Roads are fine too from what I can tell. They've done things like turning off the traffic lights and making certain roads one-way in order to speed up traffic.
Reply 1384
Original post by The West Wing
Roads are fine too from what I can tell. They've done things like turning off the traffic lights and making certain roads one-way in order to speed up traffic.

Cheers!
Re: The Tube - avoid London Bridge Station. Even at 7.30AM-8AM there are just waves of people heading down into the tube to get to Stratford, but like a poster above said, they are going in the opposite direction.

London feels a 'bit' busier, but to be honest I haven't noticed much of a difference. You can easily catch a tube without being packed in like salmon or whatever the phrase is (sardines, sorry). During the day it's absolutely fine.

The only nauseating thing about using the tube at the moment are gangs of Americans holding giant stars and stripes flags, chanting 'USA USA USA' as I witnessed yet again on my midnight journey home from work tonight - odd bunch, aren't they?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by anthonymous
Is that profile pic of you real? You're a ride.

It's Brad Pitt!!
I think in general whenever you're talking about a firm could everyone put the office in brackets because it saves the follow up question of 'which office?'. Good luck with apps everyone!

Wow neg rep? I can totally see why...
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know which law firms take on the most trainees each year, and how much applications they get?
Reply 1389
Original post by DavidHiggs
Does anyone know which law firms take on the most trainees each year, and how much applications they get?

I think the biggest intakes are Linklaters and CC at 120 trainees each. As someone said above, these firms seems to have 45:1 and 25:1 applications to places ratio.

(I think these were the ratios of the top of my head- you will have to go back through the thread to check).
Original post by DavidHiggs

Yup, those will be the MC firms. Someone posted more detail earlier in the thread which I've copied and pasted below. They are followed closely by SC firms like Herbert Smith. The details of these, to be fair, are on the Chambers Student website if you want to do more research.

Original post by maghreblover
I agree with most of what you've said, but purely on a numbers basis, the top US firms will be more competitive than MC firms.

For instance, Linklaters receive 4,500 applications for 120 places, which leaves each applicant competing with another 38 people for a place. I believe Linklaters has the most number of applications per place in the MC.

This figure is lower for the rest of the MC with 2,500 fighting for 90 places at A&O (28 per place), 2000 people fighting for 90 places at Slaughters (22 per place), 2000 for 100 places at Freshfields (20 pp) and 2000 for 120 at CC (17 pp).

Pinsent Mason's "abstract reasoning test"... why?
Original post by DavidHume

Blame McGrigors

It is cheaper than arranging a 40Km time trial, an heptathlon or 3 day event, but about as useful in selecting trainee solicitors.
Anyone heard back from Olswang?
Original post by nulli tertius
It is cheaper than arranging a 40Km time trial, an heptathlon or 3 day event, but about as useful in selecting trainee solicitors.

Is it normal to have picked up on 5-6 patterns at most? :tongue:

I am sorry, I didn't sit the test. I was merely making the point that this is really a device to thin out a field rather than something that is testing a skill that is intrinsically useful for a trainee solicitor.
Reply 1397

I think I've done the same / very similar test for another place. I got like 5 at most, then eliminated 2-3 options for the others and guessed out of the remaining 2-3 lol. :/

P.S. David Hume? :eek:

Hi,hi. Just curious, when did you submit your application and when did you hear back? I don't recall an abstract reasoning test of any sort thus far...

Not sure if it's the same one I had to do while on the vacation scheme. That one had about 30 different questions in it. The first 10 or so were fine, and then the rest were absolutely impossible and incomprehensible. Everyone found it difficult.

The test was brought over from McGrigors to make all applicants do the same test so that it was fair for all. I'm not sure how much attention they will pay to it. I know that the partners I spoke to about it didn't think highly of it at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending