The Student Room Group

Buy our tyres or your baby DIES!

Perhaps you've seen the new advert for Bridgestone wet tyres, and how they can help you brake 3 metres sooner.

When I first saw it, I was shocked that it was allowed on television. Sure, if their claims are true then it would save lives, but the advert is intended to put the fear of killing your newborn baby into anyone not using their tyres. There weren't even any statistics on how many accidents could have been prevented if these tyres had been in use - i.e. where being able to stop 3 metres sooner in the wet would have helped.

Is this an acceptable way to market a product, even a potentially lifesaving one? The bulk of the advert is focused on the new baby, so the message isn't merely that the tyre saves lives, it's that your baby specifically might die without them.
Yh saw it, just talking about quick reaction times but yh you could say that is the message implicityly......
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I don't think this an acceptable way of selling tyres, at the end of the day, tyres aren't going to help much when you're hit from the side by a large truck/van/lorry. Instigating fear shouldn't really be something adverts attempt to achieve, I personally think it should be removed.
Reply 3
We're all too sensitive over commercials - what will some people make of this, some people could think this...

It should be assumed that people generally have the common sense to apply their own mind to a message given in a commercial and not have the State (through the regulatory body which removes commercials) vet them to make sure that they are perfectly right on all aspects.

They've not lied; yes there is an implication made that you will be safer but that's fair enough. You probably will be. If the tyres do genuinely help you stop quicker in wet conditions compared with other makes' average tyres, then it's accurate.

I don't see the problem.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DJkG.1
We're all too sensitive over commercials - what will some people make of this, some people could think this...

It should be assumed that people generally have the common sense to apply their own mind to a message given in a commercial and not have the State (through the regulatory body which removes commercials) vet them to make sure that they are perfectly right on all aspects.

They've not lied; yes there is an implication made that you will be safer but that's fair enough. You probably will be. If the tyres do genuinely help you stop quicker in wet conditions compared with other makes' average tyres, then it's accurate.

I don't see the problem.

There weren't any cited studies to back up their claims, and the advert specifically focuses on the newborn baby rather than a general 'prevents accidents' line. It specifically preys on the paranoia that new parents have, rather than the usual safety concerns that everybody has, and does not even back itself with facts.
Reply 5
Any attempt to undermine consumer rationality on the part of firms who already have a substantial amount of market power should be immediately criminalised. Ban the advert and slap anyone who does anything like this with a hefty fine.
Reply 6
no one gives. I'm not going to get bridgestones I will get cheaper tyres.
Ugh.... Why do people take things soo literally, all the advert is showing is that their new have a new tyre design which improves stopping distance, 3 metres can be the difference between life and death, just deal with it jeez...

Plus cheap tyres can be bad for fuel economy, handling and stopping quickly....
Reply 8
Original post by JacobW

Original post by JacobW
Any attempt to undermine consumer rationality on the part of firms who already have a substantial amount of market power should be immediately criminalised. Ban the advert and slap anyone who does anything like this with a hefty fine.

So what you're saying is adverts should be banned?
Reply 9
Original post by Hopple
There weren't any cited studies to back up their claims, and the advert specifically focuses on the newborn baby rather than a general 'prevents accidents' line. It specifically preys on the paranoia that new parents have, rather than the usual safety concerns that everybody has, and does not even back itself with facts.

So? (To the bold bit).

That's a part of advertising, not just persuading people of the efficacy of the product but persuading them that it is of use to them.

As for proving their claims, I'm sure there will be reports of their tests etc. on their site for those who are interested enough.
Reply 10
I guess it is allowed because it shows the car stopping safely, and whilst it does lead your brain somewhere, there is nothing graphic, unlike this:
I think its making a mountain out of a mole hill. What the advert implies is an opinion and if thats how you feel make a complaint to the regulator.
I think you've looked too deeply into this...
It's up to the viewer how they interpret any advert. It's not like they explicitly said "your baby will die if you choose not to buy our product". Feel free to boycott their tyres if you're not happy with it.
Reply 14
Original post by burningnun
So what you're saying is adverts should be banned?

Only adverts that try to persuade people to do things by appealing to emotion or exploiting psychological tricks. Admittedly, that would be almost all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending