The Student Room Group

Am I right to feel jealous?

I am turned 21 a few weeks ago and when I was 8 my mum died from cancer. At the time I didn't really think to deeply about it but have started to feel more and more jealous as I have got older. Jealous of seeing my friends with both their parents still alive, knowing what their mum will see them achieve and meet her grandchildren. I love my dad loads and my biggest fear is losing him but it just isn't the same. He has a new partner now so we don't really bring my mum up that much. We do still visit my mum's grave for her birthday or anniversaries and my grandma on her side is still alive so I sometimes talk to her about my mum but I don't see her that much. I am an only child as well, but I did have a sister who died as a baby the year before I was born.
You're certainly not wrong to feel jealous, it's a natural component of grieving, even all these years later. It can be frustrating to see people in a priveleged position, especially when they don't quite realise what it feels like to not have a constant like a close family member there, and whilst everyone copes differently I think everyone envies those who still have the family members and friends around that you've lost.

My advice is to recognise that you're not wrong, you're just grieving and that's perfectly natural. If you feel uncomfortable around the topic or feel you want further closure in terms of your bereavement - as this is a really significant thing and even bringing it up here is brave - I strongly advise you speak to your Dad about it and/or seek some form of support in the form of a friend or even counselling. It might feel strange doing it all these years later, but old wounds hurt the hardest and it's important you look after them, trust me.

I'm sure your Dad thinks about her just as much as you do, it probably just hurts him to focus on her. Look after yourself -- you're not alone.
Reply 2
Original post by BioCatalyst
You're certainly not wrong to feel jealous, it's a natural component of grieving, even all these years later. It can be frustrating to see people in a priveleged position, especially when they don't quite realise what it feels like to not have a constant like a close family member there, and whilst everyone copes differently I think everyone envies those who still have the family members and friends around that you've lost.

My advice is to recognise that you're not wrong, you're just grieving and that's perfectly natural. If you feel uncomfortable around the topic or feel you want further closure in terms of your bereavement - as this is a really significant thing and even bringing it up here is brave - I strongly advise you speak to your Dad about it and/or seek some form of support in the form of a friend or even counselling. It might feel strange doing it all these years later, but old wounds hurt the hardest and it's important you look after them, trust me.

I'm sure your Dad thinks about her just as much as you do, it probably just hurts him to focus on her. Look after yourself -- you're not alone.

Thank you the truth is I don't have millions of memories of her to be honest. I just miss not having her in my life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending