The Student Room Group

How do I talk to a guy who I have nothing to talk about to?

So there’s this guy I like and I wanna talk to him and stuff but I barely know much about him and I walk the same way home from school as him but I don’t really see him often but he seems kinda moody at one point and chill at another point
The thing is, I want to speak to him but there’s like nothinggggg to talk abt so someone pls help me
Btw don’t judge him pls he his kind also xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So apart from family, friends, pets, education, ambitions, careers, holidays, music, films, TV shows, books, sport and hobbies you've got like nothinggggg to talk abt?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
So apart from family, friends, pets, education, ambitions, careers, holidays, music, films, TV shows, books, sport and hobbies you've got like nothinggggg to talk abt?

Yeah but like won’t it be a bit weird to just go up to him and say, “oh how’s your family doing?”
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yeah but like won’t it be a bit weird to just go up to him and say, “oh how’s your family doing?”

Said in the right tone of voice, that would be a perfectly fine opener.

If he asks you in return how your family is, you can reply "My grandma died in November, my mum's got pancreatic cancer, my dad left home when I was a baby, the dog got hit by a car... ...Just kidding! 🙂 "
And then you carry on from there in a similar light hearted, jokey, having fun kind of way.

When you ask him what he does for a living or will do, that's a great chance to tease him. EG he says he's studying drama, instead of replying with "That's nice" you could say "I make it a rule to never get involved with acting types. You know why?... Because you never know if they're faking orgasms or not. 🙂 "

It doesn't really matter what you talk about. You can lubricate any conversation with teases and silly jokes and going off on crazy tangents. An easy form of humour is extreme exaggeration. EG he says he's looking to buy a car, you say "You should buy that car they used for the land speed record in Nevada. That supersonic one. That'd get you to school on time... Actually maybe it wouldn't, you'd just lie-in for 5 more minutes."

It doesn't matter if what you say is actually funny or not. As long as you're trying to spice the conversation and not just saying the sort of predictable stuff your (late) grandmother would say.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

If he asks you in return how your family is, you can reply "My grandma died in November, my mum's got pancreatic cancer, my dad left home when I was a baby, the dog got hit by a car... ...Just kidding! 🙂 "
And then you carry on from there in a similar light hearted, jokey, having fun kind of way.

When you ask him what he does for a living or will do, that's a great chance to tease him. EG he says he's studying drama, instead of replying with "That's nice" you could say "I make it a rule to never get involved with acting types. You know why?... Because you never know if they're faking orgasms or not. 🙂 "

It doesn't really matter what you talk about. You can lubricate any conversation with teases and silly jokes and going off on crazy tangents. An easy form of humour is extreme exaggeration. EG he says he's looking to buy a car, you say "You should buy that car they used for the land speed record in Nevada. That supersonic one. That'd get you to school on time... Actually maybe it wouldn't, you'd just lie-in for 5 more minutes."

It doesn't matter if what you say is actually funny or not. As long as you're trying to spice the conversation and not just saying the sort of predictable stuff your (late) grandmother would say.

this is funny for no reason
Reply 5
Ask his opinion on what ended the use of the phalanx. If he says greater mobility of the Roman maniple, then I wouldn't bother with him. If he says the pilum, it's on.

That’s not a good idea since you barely know each other, making it weird to say “how’s your family?”
He’s probably going to think you are a weirdo
Especially if he’s “moody” and he’ll most likely get a bit freaked out, get what I mean?
Just don’t do that especially if you aren’t friends and barely know each other
Original post by Trinculo
Ask his opinion on what ended the use of the phalanx. If he says greater mobility of the Roman maniple, then I wouldn't bother with him. If he says the pilum, it's on.

ok wow, don’t do that
That’s defo gonna make you seem strange
Do you know much about him?
Reply 8

So you pick the first one on the list and ignore the rest, including ones that are more relevant?

If you can't talk to someone, give up now. Nothing will happen if you can't have a conversation.
Original post by Surnia
So you pick the first one on the list and ignore the rest, including ones that are more relevant?

If you can't talk to someone, give up now. Nothing will happen if you can't have a conversation.

You could sleep with his best friend that will get his attention
Genuinely just say hi… Be an active participant in the conversation from then on. You are not an entertainer nor an MC or a clown so it’s not your responsibility to lead the conversation in any particular direction. Be interested and listen, might be the funniest guy you ever met and it just flows or he might be shy nervous or all round boring, just say hi and find out
Original post by Surnia

There’s no better way to crush someone’s hope
Reply 12
Original post by NoDelusionsPLZ
Genuinely just say hi… Be an active participant in the conversation from then on. You are not an entertainer nor an MC or a clown so it’s not your responsibility to lead the conversation in any particular direction. Be interested and listen, might be the funniest guy you ever met and it just flows or he might be shy nervous or all round boring, just say hi and find out

Ok thanks 👍
But I do do that and all he says is hi back and then we don’t rlly talk after that
Original post by JustFreakky
That’s not a good idea since you barely know each other, making it weird to say “how’s your family?”
He’s probably going to think you are a weirdo
Especially if he’s “moody” and he’ll most likely get a bit freaked out, get what I mean?
Just don’t do that especially if you aren’t friends and barely know each other

My grandmother would be proud of you, JustFreakky, because that's the sort of advice that she'd give. :smile:
My grandmother would be proud of you, JustFreakky, because that's the sort of advice that she'd give. :smile:

Ik, my advice is always best😌
Reply 15
Ok thanks 👍
But I do do that and all he says is hi back and then we don’t rlly talk after that

So he's not interested in talking to you! Just because you want a conversation doesn't mean he has to respond.
Original post by Surnia
So he's not interested in talking to you! Just because you want a conversation doesn't mean he has to respond.

No but then some days he’s the one who starts the conversation! Sometimes he comes up to me with his friend or whatever and they talk to me, and then sometimes I go and say hi but all they say is hi back.
Reply 17
Original post by JustFreakky
There’s no better way to crush someone’s hope

Just being realistic.

My first date with my now-boyfriend was a long-distance run. The second was dinner in a restaurant and it lasted 5 hours because we had such a good time together. Imagine sitting facing someone for starter, main, dessert and coffee with barely a word...
Reply 18
Original post by Heythere…
No but then some days he’s the one who starts the conversation! Sometimes he comes up to me with his friend or whatever and they talk to me, and then sometimes I go and say hi but all they say is hi back.

So he starts a conversation, but 'there’s like nothinggggg to talk abt'. So what's he discussing?
Reply 19
Original post by Surnia
So he starts a conversation, but 'there’s like nothinggggg to talk abt'. So what's he discussing?

Something we’ve talked abt a few times is people from our old school and stuff, he sometimes annoys me abt stuff like how short I am and I guess he mainly just teases me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending