The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

"Noone wants you" by Celine Roberts
Midnight's children and the Kite Runner are historical fiction? I think that's absurd. For the audience of today, anything after 1900 cannot be historical.
Horror and Supernatural:
Stephen King :
1.Salem's Lot
2. Gerald's Game
3. The Tommyknockers
4. Pet Semetary
5. Under the Dome
6. Cujo
7. The Dark Half.
8. Desperation.
9. The Shining,
10. Misery
Erotic
1. My Secret Life by Walter.
2. Vladimir Nabokov (Lolita)
3. D.H.Lawrence : Lady Chatterley's lover
great thread
The strangest man - Paul Dirac by Graham Farmello.

One of the few books I've actually managed to read fully and fall in love in the process.
The Mortal Instruments
Great thread but where are the science books ?

Science:
Do no harm
All V.S RamaChandran's books
Genome
A journey through madness
Brain on fire
The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare is amazing, I just finished it. It's a fantasy series, if you like that sort of thing. Also, speaking from a friend's perspective, the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter is also great :tongue:
Samira and Samir by Siba Shakib. My mum gave this book to me to read as she knows how much of a bookworm I am. It's a true story of an Afghan girl who was raised as a boy, really good story 😊
Original post by Mally-xo
Kate Mosse - Labyrinth (would take a guess at historical fiction/fantasy)
Kate Mosse - Sepulchre (same as above)
Mitch Albom - The five people you meet in heaven (umm no clue, it is just a moving book)
Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns (same genre as Kite Runner I guess)
Linwood Barclay - No time for goodbye (thriller)
Max Brooks - World War Z (zombie thriller I guess)
Clive Woodall - One for sorrow, Two for joy (fantasy)
sorry for the not very specific genres... I have no idea, they are just brilliant books :biggrin:

Great recommendations! Sepulchre is sitting right in front of me, but I would like to know if it is worth the 700 odd pages? I have been putting it off for so long!
Good LGBT book suggestions?

Good Asian-British authors? Or any Asian author in general?
my favourite books:
- Harry Potter series
- the hunger games series
- the book thief
- embassy row series by ally Carter (all fall down, see how they run, third book coming out in a few months)
- oranges in no mans land
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Psychology

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life (Sigmund Freud) (I’m not saying that I particularly believe in what he says, but it’s still very interesting to read whether you think he’s right or not.)
Interpreting Dreams (Sigmund Freud) (Same as above.)
Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explore the Minds of Killers (Dorothy Otnow Lewis)
Sybil: The True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Separate Personalities (Flora Schreiber)
Extraordinary People: Understanding Savant Syndrome (Darold A Treffert)
Twin Stories: Their Mysterious and Unique Bond (Susan Kohl)
Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain (Oliver Sacks)

Hi,
Seeing Sybil in your list, I thought you may like
" Sybil Exposed" by Debbie Nathan.
It seems that the original case was a 'con case' after all. The three women-patient, psychiatrist,writer were all in it together. The papers related to the case were unsealed after Sybil died. Nathan,a journalist, read them -was appalled and wrote the book. Incidentally, a french doctor was the first person to expose Sybil. But as he wrote in French, no-one came to know about it (maybe a few people) in the English speaking world. Read the book. I think you will find it interesting. A company was formed called Sybil Inc and the three laughed all the way to the bank and died rich.
Original post by BBaggins
Hi,
Seeing Sybil in your list, I thought you may like
" Sybil Exposed" by Debbie Nathan.
It seems that the original case was a 'con case' after all. The three women-patient, psychiatrist,writer were all in it together. The papers related to the case were unsealed after Sybil died. Nathan,a journalist, read them -was appalled and wrote the book. Incidentally, a french doctor was the first person to expose Sybil. But as he wrote in French, no-one came to know about it (maybe a few people) in the English speaking world. Read the book. I think you will find it interesting. A company was formed called Sybil Inc and the three laughed all the way to the bank and died rich.

this is on my to-read list :smile:

i suggest : the girl on the train :smile:
Original post by grassntai
Good LGBT book suggestions?

Good Asian-British authors? Or any Asian author in general?

One of the better LGBT recent books is "The Paying Guests" by Sarah Waters. Its set in London, between the wars. I can't recall any Asian author who has written LGBT books. Sorry! :frown:
'You' by Caroline Kepnes is my all-time favorite book I highly recommend it and once you've read that read 'Hidden Bodies' which is part 2 to 'You' Hidden bodies is relatively new so you might only be able to get in hardback I'm not sure I think they have paperback on amazon but I ended up getting hardback :smile:
The Throne Of Glass - Sarah.J.Maas
The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
The Princess and The Captain
The Ryria Revelations - Micheal J Sullivan
Fire - Kristin Cashore
Macht Trilogy - Paul Kearney
The Imperial Spy - Mark Robson
The Magician's Apprentice - Trudi Canavan
The Winner's Curse trilogy -Marie Rutkoski, one of the best books ever to be read
Young Samurai (series), by Chris Bradford
Skullduggery Pleasant (series), by Derek Landy
White Fang, by Jack London
A kestrel for a knave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending