The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What was everything you did to get into Bristol Law

I'm a Year 12 student who wants to go to Bristol as their dream Uni. What was everything you did outside of academics that got you to that Uni?
Reply 1
same but I'm y11
Original post by eiosa
I'm a Year 12 student who wants to go to Bristol as their dream Uni. What was everything you did outside of academics that got you to that Uni?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by eiosa

Hey, I'm a law offer holder for Bristol this year. In all honesty, I found that there wasn't much else I had to do beside from put forward good grades - since Bristol offers are among the top end of Law Unis (A*AA usually). It's certainly good to keep up with legal current affairs and have at least 2 relevant books read to help bulk up the personal statement; but easily the most important thing is to work on the LNAT. It's annoying since you can't really 'prepare' for it, but make sure you know what's going on and how it works to familiarise yourself with the heavy reading and comprehension skills needed since the timing in the test is tight. A good LNAT score (couple marks above average), good grades and a well-written personal statement is all I needed. Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by a114
Hey, I'm a law offer holder for Bristol this year. In all honesty, I found that there wasn't much else I had to do beside from put forward good grades - since Bristol offers are among the top end of Law Unis (A*AA usually). It's certainly good to keep up with legal current affairs and have at least 2 relevant books read to help bulk up the personal statement; but easily the most important thing is to work on the LNAT. It's annoying since you can't really 'prepare' for it, but make sure you know what's going on and how it works to familiarise yourself with the heavy reading and comprehension skills needed since the timing in the test is tight. A good LNAT score (couple marks above average), good grades and a well-written personal statement is all I needed. Hope this helps

Thank you so much:smile:. If you don't mind me asking, what specific organisations or websites did you read to keep up with legal current affairs. Also what do you recommend reading to do well in the LNAT? I currently read news articles from the Guardian and that's it. Again thank you so much!:nutcase:
Reply 4
Original post by eiosa
Thank you so much:smile:. If you don't mind me asking, what specific organisations or websites did you read to keep up with legal current affairs. Also what do you recommend reading to do well in the LNAT? I currently read news articles from the Guardian and that's it. Again thank you so much!:nutcase:

News sites are a great place to look! I mainly kept up with 'The Law Society' (https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/news-articles) and then there's a great BBC podcast called 'Law in Action' to stay up to date. As for the LNAT there are practice tests on the official website (very helpful but there aren't many) and then there's help on youtube and also plenty other sites (some free but also some you have to pay for - which I don't think is necessary unless you want to do a lot more preparation). All it is, is understanding what the LNAT looks like and the type of question that's asked so that you're not thrown off on the day because that test can be a BEAST, so just try be as comfortable as possible with it.
Reply 5
Original post by a114
News sites are a great place to look! I mainly kept up with 'The Law Society' (https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/news-articles) and then there's a great BBC podcast called 'Law in Action' to stay up to date. As for the LNAT there are practice tests on the official website (very helpful but there aren't many) and then there's help on youtube and also plenty other sites (some free but also some you have to pay for - which I don't think is necessary unless you want to do a lot more preparation). All it is, is understanding what the LNAT looks like and the type of question that's asked so that you're not thrown off on the day because that test can be a BEAST, so just try be as comfortable as possible with it.

Thank you!
Going there this September for law and can only reiterate what others have said: grades, ps, and LNAT are likely the main things you need to focus on to get a spot. I had A*A*A* predicted, a 24 on the LNAT (which is a mark below what Bristol offers were averaging for this year), with a list of these supercurriciulars that I put in my personal statement:

Law in Action (podcast)
Understanding Contract Law (book)
Tomorrow's Lawyers (book)
America's Supreme Court (book)
CMS Connect (work experience)
Young Citizen's Bar Mock Trial (more extra-curricular but I put it in anyway)
Roe v Wade analysis
Chilcott report analysis

Granted, this is a LOT and probably way more than you need, so don't stress about amounts. For an effective personal statement you need to show what you've gained from either your subjects or supercurriculars (ideally both), so if you can show how a single book managed to open your eyes to multiple different things about the law, then thats likely to be better than 20 books that tell you the same thing.

For some book recommendations I would either suggest looking at Bristol's recommended reading list, which gives you a more 'catered application' (and is why I read the contract law book as Oxford had it on their reading list, bad move it was a VERY heavy read), or to check out these from personal experience:

Tomorrow's Lawyers by Richard Susskind (more modern take on the legal sector, easy yet interesting read, especially good for corporate law)
The Secret Barrister (better for criminal law here but still a good read)
America's Supreme Court: Making Democracy Work by Justice Stephen Breyer (a VERY good read, not necessarily UK-related but since its not read much, it can be a good PS piece)
The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham (whistle-stop tour of the legal world, personally found it a bit of a dull read but MANY law applicants have read it)
Law in Action (not a book but podcast, very approachable and has episodes on whatever you fancy really)

Work experience is not necessary by any means but I would recommend trying to do some work experience, whether virtual or otherwise, as it can be nice to put in your personal statement, or just to do for your own fulfilment. Again, no university expects it and does not give it any weight whatsoever. For this, Forage is a fantastic tool, you get very engaging and challenging virtual work experience from top firms, that is much better than the typical work experience webinar that doesn't provide much in the way of actual value.

All in all, good grades, a decent set of supercurriculars and a good LNAT score are likely the keys to getting a Bristol spot. Best of luck!

P.S. just saw LNAT-related stuff, if you're going to practice the LNAT I suggest finding some mock-tests online to get your head around the style of question they are asking, the test's format etc, and then using the official LNAT mock-tests to practice. The test is killer, so ensure you are learning critical thinking and analysis skills, reading academic articles as much as possible, and practicing it as much as you can. Treat it like another A-level!
Reply 7
Thank you for replying and your tips. I have 3 questions. 1) Did you mention all 8 in your PS? If so, I mentioned:
- a virtual internship with linklaters (forage), I have 2 others which I didn't mention
- case analysis of Beverley Allitt, combined with "Eve was Shamed" by Helena Kennedy
- EPQ
- Law firm visit where I met an alumni
- I've also mentioned student leadership, school plays and employability skills.
2) Is this enough?
3) For the LNAT i use LNAT ninja. If you have used it, do you think its good?
Original post by eiosa
Thank you for replying and your tips. I have 3 questions. 1) Did you mention all 8 in your PS? If so, I mentioned:
- a virtual internship with linklaters (forage), I have 2 others which I didn't mention
- case analysis of Beverley Allitt, combined with "Eve was Shamed" by Helena Kennedy
- EPQ
- Law firm visit where I met an alumni
- I've also mentioned student leadership, school plays and employability skills.
2) Is this enough?
3) For the LNAT i use LNAT ninja. If you have used it, do you think its good?

I did mention all of them in my PS, and I think all of what you have put in is plenty and (depending on how you've analysed them) are good examples of interest in law. I wouldn't worry about employability skills as the universities aren't looking to see if you are employable, rather than you have an interest in your subject and have the skills to succeed.

I personally didnt use LNAT ninja so I can't speak on how good it is, I mainly used a combination of critical thinking books as well as online mock-tests and official mock tests.
Reply 9
Original post by bjones02520
I did mention all of them in my PS, and I think all of what you have put in is plenty and (depending on how you've analysed them) are good examples of interest in law. I wouldn't worry about employability skills as the universities aren't looking to see if you are employable, rather than you have an interest in your subject and have the skills to succeed.

I personally didnt use LNAT ninja so I can't speak on how good it is, I mainly used a combination of critical thinking books as well as online mock-tests and official mock tests.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending