The Student Room Group

Greenwich school of management - anyone?

Scroll to see replies

GSM is pure and simply, a terrible institution.
Original post by RosiePiggy
I have an offer for Greenwich for Hospitality Management ... im so confused whether to take it after reading everyones reviews...

Well judging by most peoples posts on here if you have any better offers take one of them up instead.
Reply 22
True anyone here study at Brighton Uni doing Hospitality?
Reply 23
I am a current student and I would advise you not to come here! It truly is a waste of money.

The facilities are extremely poor - hardly any books in the library, tiny class rooms which have 40-50 students allocated for 20-30 chairs, poor internet and impossible to get on a computer in the library, and the teaching is very patchy. There are some good lecturers, but it's the support outside the class room that really lets students down the most. The place is extremely badly managed and their student services is sub par (robotic advisors who have NO clue about nothing that goes on and cant give you an answer after waiting for more that an hour).

There is very little feedback or direction on how you can improve your grades and if you experience difficulty forget trying to get help- there is none! Due to the affiliation it can take months to even get back results, so if you have to retake it is so last minute and rushed that if you wanted to catch up with classes it's impossible.

The crux of my experience is I am glad that I have work experience to fall back on and have the kudos of this to build a career. If you are hoping this institute will prepare you for the work force then I would strongly advise that you consider a more established university. This place really is a private college who is cares soley about revenue! Good luck in your future studies.
Reply 24
Original post by Silver Lining
which reminds me, where is the campus? on my letter it said 'London Bridge Study Centre' where is that? it isn't the main campus.

The main campus is in Greenwich; London Bridge is a spill over as they have way more students than the building can accommodate. Greenford is a new facility and meant to be nicer (haven't been there so can't comment on the place).

We used to have 2hr lecture and 2hr tutorial. Due to capacity problems they have crunched both together and now only have a 3hr combi.
Reply 26
Original post by MohammedSheikh
Hey Jello1000, I am studying at this University and its a fantastic university. I have personally seen a degree awarded from this University and it has no mention of GSM on it and is fully awarded by Plymouth University.

I think employment comes down to the individual, it is no longer just about completing a degree and then your guaranteed a job. We are in a difficult market these days and therefore have to be more active then those around us to compete. At GSM there are opportunities to create societies, join societies, become student reps, take on temporary employment with them etc. University is a place for developing yourself and you have to take every opportunity that is available to you.
PS. there are students from the best universities in the UK that are unemployed, does it mean there degree is not credible?

I have a had a chance of being the General Secretary of GSM Finance society and this experience was enhanced with the vast amount of support provided by the University to help me grow as an individuals and as an organisation.

The issue you have brought up regarding the exam retakes costing £50 - this is 100% false and infact all exams (be it retakes or first attempts) cost £10 which was highlighted by emmakaur above.

As emmakaur highlighted above, In regards to paying out of your own pocket for student fees, If potential students want to complete a 3 year degree they will not have to pay any additional fees from themselves, however if you decide to go for a 2 year degree, as it is a new system in the UK you will have to pay a small fee every semester but overall through the 2 year degree you are able to save time and money and I'm on the verge of completing one myself. (I'm more then happy to break this down for you further if required)

Im studying Accounting & Finance and my Lecturers are great, they have years and years of experience of working within the sectors and are able to break bring in real life experiences in to their teaching which great. They are also readily available and even have there own offices that I am to visit for any queries that I have. In one deciding to do a degree in Accounting & Finance I hope you have the pleasure of working the following lecturers - Albert De Jonge, Roy Ringham, Esiah, Tim Price.

Studying at this University has honestly been a great journey for me and the self development I have seen in myself is amazing. I've recommended 5 of my friends & my very own sister to join to this place and have seen them grow and develop fantastically.

If you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch and I will be more then happy to help.

I have contacted GSM and have been told they have changed their regulations and now GSM is stamped on both the transcript and final certificate, can you confirm?
Reply 27
hi, I would not advice anyone to go on the course. yes they are heavy on marketing, but thats all they are good at. other than this everything else is poor. timetables available three weeks into the course, you wait 3-4 months to get exam results (!!!), apart just couple of good lecturers most are graduates from GSM themselves and have no real experience. the place is messy, library is noisy, often dirty. the whole thing is run by incompetent staff, they know nothing, but when it comes to finance trust me they will chase you!!! if you don't pay on time they will block your portal so you can't login to see lecture material or any results. even so, portal doesn't work, internet is slow and wi fi is often poor, if too many people come, systems crashes. student service is poor, no organisation, no help, no structure, you feel like they don't want you here :frown: I'm out now, lost some money and time and will never go back and never recommend to anyone, its is a **** of a place !
Reply 28
STOP! if you are thinking to study at greewhich Oxford house college, they will take your money and then you will end up chasing your paper work, you will be districted, your time has no value
I have studied in this mad house and believe me, I regret every minute
Reply 29
do not take this offer. i am a current student and their services r absolutely poor! they messed up my marks, my semesters, my results. u name it. if i knew what i know now i wouldn't have gone to that uni.
strong advice do not join them.
Reply 30
The Greenwich School of Management could literally be one of the worst "Universites" currently running.

They are very money oriented and don't care about the average student, they are very much out of touch with the very same students that pay thousands in tuition fee to keep their "company" running.

The modules that are taught in your degree choice lack anything to do with what you may have initially chose on your degree pathways, altogether making it very misleading. It can almost pretty much be seen as false advertising.

Some staff here are good at their profession and have a good knowledge of what is expected from each module in your degree, their teaching is what you would expect to find at a real university. However the majority of staff here have a lack of knowledge as well as lack the understanding of what is expected from the assignments in each module they issue out and seem to contradict each other on what is taught and what your assignment should include. They also think tutorials should consist of sitting in a tiny classroom reading from photocopied books in silent and answering the questions from the book which has no relation to what may have been taught in lectures. By far not worth thousands in tuition fees.

Furthermore, timetables are always late, exam results are always late or they lose your exam papers, some staff are too lazy to mark your assignments or can't be bothered to give you feedback. They also make terrible decisions without compromising with their students. There are more negative points here that outweigh the positives, but if it was written, this post would turn into a book.

Would definitely recommend staying away from this place, even if you may feel you have nowhere else to go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Absolutely awful institution. I have finished my course and they are still unable to provide me any information I ask for. I have spent the last 2 days phoning at half hour intervals to talk to an advisor and all I get is somebody saying they are all busy and to phone back later. They are already impacting my future employment and this is after they very sub par education received.
Mate, i am currently a student of GSOM London. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ****HOLE.

Roughly 95% of the students are immigrants on student visas - this tells me that the uni gave admission to ANYONE who paid the fees. I have had proper RETARDS in my classes that ask the STUPIDEST of all questions that manking can think of. This ofcourse slowed our in-class progress and no-one gave a ****. The uni even advertises that if a student recommends his/her friend and the friend signs up, the student gets £250. This is a clear message that this uni is only INTERSETED in YOUR MONEY and not your progress in life. You wouldnt expect a uni of even a half decent standard to STOOP THIS LOW.
The lecturers look like they were rejected from everywhere else and the staff are SLOW.

As a tiny example,i have had my timetable show up on my portal LATE EVERY SEMESTER. this meant i couldnt find my classes until 2-3 weeks late and that meant i couldnt find a decent group for group courseworks.... And this is just the tip of the iceberg. This SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT CANNOT MANAGE ITSELF.

Try calling them over the phone and choose the option where you are a current student, not the one where you are a new student enquiring for a course. Be prepared to wait for over 30 mins and have absolutely no result at the end of it. You will see it CLEARLY that they just want your money and then not give a flying **** about your education.

Every semester they would email me saying i havent paid my fees when i clearly have. I had to physilcally go in EACH semester and show them the reciept to unlock my portal.

They messed up the marks on DISSERTATION. so everyone had to redo it. Not only that, after being promised that this time our projects will be marked properly and promptly, the date to reveal results have been postponed THREE times. Still waiting for my results. Students in other unis have already got their marks and have started to get jobs while i am STUCK here with these ****HEADS.

STEER CLEAR of THIS ****HOLE and save your time, effort and energy. BE PRODUCTIVE and GO ELSEWHERE.
under no circumstance should you even bother forget that whole timetable stuff they are a business just ready for collection like a bailiff the education is not up to par only hand full of lecturers are any good and the only course thing that is worth it is the oil and gas management course besides that i cant speak for any others. the place is not even run it is just a few individuals happy to talk to people their parents age like they are retards and its disrespectful to say the least.you will get no gel from anyone and will probably learn majority of the courses yourself , the average age at the institution is 55years old so that tells you that they recruit old people who really have no hope of getting jobs newsy under the illusion that when they finish they will get jobs at that age. points to consider its a for profit cash cow, not a university but more adult learning centre and i must say shambolic re library stinks , pc slow , wifi dead, books dead and no access to any journals of note lmaoooo they really need a dose from the QAA asap and need to be shut down anyone notice how plymouth has slipped down the rankings since they teamed up with gsom hahahahaahaha from top 50 to like 80 in two years common peeps someone expose them. the student services is hopeless the people in there always change every semester and have no clue. they are all on a power trip with no clue , all very uneducated themselves from kent or wherever and guess what i if plymouth where smart they would sever their ties asap before they are dragged down for the money they receive for the affiliation. i could single handedly take this institution to the cleaners but they aint worth my time of day and i mean legal , court etc misleading and fraud all that stuff believe me and all the good comments you have read are from damage control idiots in the students services or even students they have employed. imagine when QAA where coming in they bribed the students not to say anything incriminating imagine that.... i have evidence and all they better never try talk my allegations down or it will be fire hahahaha
Reply 34
Worst experience ever, waste of you money, they loose students exams and then don't even explain themselves as the "internal rules" claim they don't need to disclose to students the out come of those situations, or never get a feed back from you exams neither from your work(assignment), most tutors are foreigners with poor English skills.
Because they don't really select the students they are getting, the majority are there only to get the student finance money, don't behave as normal students willing to learn, in one sentence, find somewhere else to go, don't waste your money!
Hi,

I have recently decided that I would like to go to University in September and study Business. However, because I am so late in my decision I did not apply through UCAS. I have heard from a couple of people that GSM does accept students directly and it does seem to say this on their website. Has anyone gone through this process of applying directly to them? Is it a simple process?

Any help would be much appreciated as everyone else I know has gone down the route of applying through UCAS!
I would advise you to wait a year and apply through UCAS.

GSOM is not great, its true all the negative feedback on this thread. I'm with this Uni since October, I will be transferring end of the year, to Univ.of Greenwich.

I feel that my chances of finding a job if I stick with GSOM will be greatly damaged. I have met someone who studied there and he can't communicate properly so he hasn't grown as an individual despite having completed a degree with the university and as a result he is not working. They want the money but don't care about you at all. Careers team and Student Services are on a power trip very unhelpful to you finding work, they want to fight with you, when you go to them to get you a volunteer position in the industry you are studying. They have an intermediary between student and the institute called student engagement and they are worse than the others, when I told her about the books and computer situation she told me lecturers will make you buy unnecessary purchases of books £700 worth when I went to uni, which I didn't need, yes computers crash, so what are you doing about it??? Nothing. I told her about the careers situation about finding a job, and she said when you are less busy you can go out and look for a volunteer job yourself, why have I paid so much fees if they can't help me, whilst i'm studying they can spend time on the phone to companies that want people with my skills and during a break I can go there and she can give me a lead to a company instead nothing all about get out of my face and find it yourself, this is university no-one will find a job for you, why do they have a career team to arrange training courses, that are completely useless?

What I'm worried about is that Plymouth University will ditch the affiliation then where will I be nowhere, so its important to switch at the end of the year, hopefully I will find somewhere else.
Reply 37
It sounds like you have a offer from either The University of Greenwich or from Greenwich Community College. These are Both different institutions from GSM so I wouldn't worry about these posts.
Reply 38
Its a terrible institution, i don't recommend anyone to study at GSM
i am really considering GSM after all of these reviews majority say its bad i need an honest opinion!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending