The Student Room Group

Why is there more vertical erosion in the upper course of a river?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Ah thanks for that recommendation, so you'd say it's much more complicated to understand? What do you mean by things that are not necessary to learn?

I'm finding the workload heavy as well as I do extra reading for each subject :/ Wait, you've done a typo I suspect, maths with edexcel or aqa? :redface: But chemistry was slightly difficult with the concept of electronegativity, but it seems alright now. Where are you up to? We're just starting molecular calculations (having done subshells and most of bonding/electronegativity :smile: ) But the biochemistry in biology looks quite difficult, and especially how one of my teachers just goes off topic in every lesson :/

Does my username not give it away? :rolleyes: ...Medicine :d

Noooo sorry, it's much easier to understand and little things aren't necessary to know such as diagrams, can't remember which ones off the top of my head, i think one of them is to do with flood proofing.

And yeah typo mistake, maths with edexcel and bio with aqa lol I aint always this clumsy, I'm just tired x) In chem, we're leaving calculations till last cus apparently they're pretty straight forward, we've finished everything else upto intermolecular forces, so all we have lest is the calculations, periodic table and organic chem =]

Your name could refer to bio med or even medicine as its a medical profession :wink: i wanna do dentistry!
Original post by V95
Noooo sorry, it's much easier to understand and little things aren't necessary to know such as diagrams, can't remember which ones off the top of my head, i think one of them is to do with flood proofing.

And yeah typo mistake, maths with edexcel and bio with aqa lol I aint always this clumsy, I'm just tired x) In chem, we're leaving calculations till last cus apparently they're pretty straight forward, we've finished everything else upto intermolecular forces, so all we have lest is the calculations, periodic table and organic chem =]

Your name could refer to bio med or even medicine as its a medical profession :wink: i wanna do dentistry!

Okay then :smile: But does the book cover all necessary topics as mentioned in the AQA one?

Ah okay :tongue: Yeah calculations are pretty simple, but we're just doing it in order :smile: We've surprising covered nearly half the syllabus! :O But less than 20% of Biology :'( So I'm getting really worried, as we haven't covered a lot, as the teachers go off topic every lesson.

Haha :smile: Ahh, why dentistry? (just as a general question :smile: )
Faster Moving water & Higher Gravitational force

it's been a while since my GCSE Geog days
Reply 23
Okay then :smile: But does the book cover all necessary topics as mentioned in the AQA one?

Ah okay :tongue: Yeah calculations are pretty simple, but we're just doing it in order :smile: We've surprising covered nearly half the syllabus! :O But less than 20% of Biology :'( So I'm getting really worried, as we haven't covered a lot, as the teachers go off topic every lesson.

Haha :smile: Ahh, why dentistry? (just as a general question :smile: )

Yep, it covers everything - it's specially for aqa! oh yeah, skinner also has more pics lol

We've done the same in bio too, we've done like 4-5 topics out of like 20 lol

I wanna do it cus i love sciences and the human body fascinates me - i was thinking of medicine but i did work experience in a dental surgery and i loved it :biggrin: whats your reason for wanting to do medicine????
Reply 24
River's faster up there because the channel is smaller. For a given volume of water more of it is touching the sides than downstream where the same volume is spread over a wider width.
Original post by V95
Yep, it covers everything - it's specially for aqa! oh yeah, skinner also has more pics lol

We've done the same in bio too, we've done like 4-5 topics out of like 20 lol

I wanna do it cus i love sciences and the human body fascinates me - i was thinking of medicine but i did work experience in a dental surgery and i loved it :biggrin: whats your reason for wanting to do medicine????

Ah okay, I guess I need to get it soon then :smile: Yeah bio is getting worrying...

Well same, I love medical sciences and after work experience at a hospital I thought that I'd much rather work in a hospital than as a medical researcher (which was my former plan), and that's it really. But I loved my work experience, but it was always medical 'based' :tongue:
Reply 26
Ah okay, I guess I need to get it soon then :smile: Yeah bio is getting worrying...

Well same, I love medical sciences and after work experience at a hospital I thought that I'd much rather work in a hospital than as a medical researcher (which was my former plan), and that's it really. But I loved my work experience, but it was always medical 'based' :tongue:

Oh and also, people from the year above me told me to get the aqa cup revision guide as it's really good, especially for case studies, so i'm gonna get that too!

medical professions ftw! i wanna do some work experience in a hospital but can't find any -.- oh out of interest, do you know which subjects your gonna drop at a2?
Original post by V95
Oh and also, people from the year above me told me to get the aqa cup revision guide as it's really good, especially for case studies, so i'm gonna get that too!

medical professions ftw! i wanna do some work experience in a hospital but can't find any -.- oh out of interest, do you know which subjects your gonna drop at a2?

Ah yeah, we were recommended that too :smile:

I've found it quite easy (and I have no contacts), well easier than what I had heard it to be. I guess if you pester them long enough, they just give in :biggrin: Yes, probably Geography. Teachers want us to keep all 4, but I think I'll drop geography though :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Ah yeah, we were recommended that too :smile:

I've found it quite easy (and I have no contacts), well easier than what I had heard it to be. I guess if you pester them long enough, they just give in :biggrin: Yes, probably Geography. Teachers want us to keep all 4, but I think I'll drop geography though :rolleyes:

ohhhh cool, i really wanna drop maths, i can't stand it, and i love geography xD you don't need maths for dentistry soooo I'm well happy :biggrin:
Original post by V95
ohhhh cool, i really wanna drop maths, i can't stand it, and i love geography xD you don't need maths for dentistry soooo I'm well happy :biggrin:

I'm actually loving my maths at the moment :biggrin: Probably one of my favourite subjects tied with Chemistry :tongue:
Reply 30
I'm actually loving my maths at the moment :biggrin: Probably one of my favourite subjects tied with Chemistry :tongue:

omg i love chemistry too, all my friends think I'm so weird xD
Reply 31
im not doing as geog, but from gcse i know that there is more GPE in the upper course, therefore there is greated vertical erosion. :party:
Original post by V95
omg i love chemistry too, all my friends think I'm so weird xD

Wierd? ...course not! I think they're a little bit wierd for not loving it :tongue: Chemistry is amazing, though probably my most difficult subject, but it's enjoyable :biggrin:
Reply 33
You can explain all that stuff with reference to the hulstrom curves which relate the water velocity to the sizes of particles which can be eroded, transported and deposited.

Btw I like 'geography: an intergrated approach' by david waugh for an A level textbook. I used a lot of his diagrams in my first year assignments.
Original post by Joinedup
You can explain all that stuff with reference to the hulstrom curves which relate the water velocity to the sizes of particles which can be eroded, transported and deposited.

Btw I like 'geography: an intergrated approach' by david waugh for an A level textbook. I used a lot of his diagrams in my first year assignments.

How useful would you say that book is for explanations like in rivers and coasts? Like for the formation of certain objects?
Reply 35
How useful would you say that book is for explanations like in rivers and coasts? Like for the formation of certain objects?

Can't compare it to the other book people are mentioning but there's a preview of waugh on google books.
Reply 36

I'm doing coasts too :biggrin: you aint by chance doing health? you're obviously doing population as its standard xD
Original post by V95
I'm doing coasts too :biggrin: you aint by chance doing health? you're obviously doing population as its standard xD

Nah :tongue: I'm doing Coasts, Rivers, Population and Energy. I thought I was going to do glaciation...the geography department lied to me! :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Nah :tongue: I'm doing Coasts, Rivers, Population and Energy. I thought I was going to do glaciation...the geography department lied to me! :rolleyes:

:O how dare they. Have you read through energy or coasts? coasts seems rather difficult.. health is pretty straight forward, its basically biology xD
Original post by V95
:O how dare they. Have you read through energy or coasts? coasts seems rather difficult.. health is pretty straight forward, its basically biology xD

Coasts is alright, we've pretty much finished it, well...almost :tongue: Up to sand dunes/salt marshes, it isn't too bad - don't worry about it :smile: We're doing rivers/coasts at the same time (as we have two teachers).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending