The Student Room Group

Geography NEA help

Hi everyone! I am doing my geography NEA and im thinking of doing the title “Investigating the impact of climate change on the Sefton Coast”. For my hypothesise i have thought of “If the sea levels continue to rise due to climate change, the Sefton Coast’s fragile ecosystem will suffer significant damage” and “Erosion will occur on coasts, resulting in a loss of land and damage the infrastructure and ecosystems”. Im not sure if these hypotheses are correct as I have never done hypothesis before so i will welcome any criticism. I also need ideas on what equipment i can use as we are going to the Sefton Coast for a one day school trip.
Thanks a lot!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
I have changed the hypotheses, H1 “The fragile ecosystem of the coast will suffer significant damage, leading to a decline in biodiversity and affecting the local economy and tourism industry” and H2 “Coastal erosion will occur, resulting in a loss of land and damage to the infrastructure and ecosystems”
Original post by zenia.mx
I have changed the hypotheses, H1 “The fragile ecosystem of the coast will suffer significant damage, leading to a decline in biodiversity and affecting the local economy and tourism industry” and H2 “Coastal erosion will occur, resulting in a loss of land and damage to the infrastructure and ecosystems”

Hi, I like the ideas in H1 but I feel like they are too long and have too many ideas jammed into one. Also hypotheses are sort of "guesses" on how the investigation will play out instead of just being a statement which you have done. For instance, your current H1 can be split into two further hypotheses imo. Eg. There will be significant environmental damage to the coast. Another hypothesis you could have is " The efficiency (change this wording if you can, I can't think of any better word on the spot) of local industries will decrease (due to climate change)" . Hypotheses can be short and I would suggest you split your hypotheses into Social, Economic, Environmental ideas since you have a nice investigation title. Regarding your H2 --> I honestly dislike it since you mentioned coastal damage in your H1 which basically is coastal erosion so you are just repeating yourself here. If I were you, I would introduce a social hypothesis instead. Eg. Resident's (or any stakeholder you choose) well-being will be negatively affected by climate change along the coast. This way in your final conclusion, you can wrap everything up nicely with a balanced social, economic, environmental argument. I can't really help you with equipment since my NEA was human geography focused ☹️ but if you need any more help check out my youtube NEA videos where I have gone through what's required in each section with examples here https://www.youtube.com/@joshleong3230

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending