The Student Room Group

What is A level Chemistry like?

By this I mean how maths and formula based is it.. I like maths and things like that so I am kind of hoping it is more maths orientated than theory related.. if you see what I mean.. what is your opinion :smile:
The courses are designed to be accessible to those without A-level maths, so I'd say there is minimal maths but a reasonable amount of number crunching :smile:
Reply 2
Ok, but like are formulas involved.. say emperical formual, % mass, mol, ram etc.. I love this part.. can't stand theory stuff :smile:
Chemistry at say degree level would include far more Mathematica than A-level ever will. It's more learn this fact, parrot this fact.
Sure, there is a reasonable amount of calculation based stuff but also plenty of theory and fact learning too :yep:
Yup quite a bit of formulae but if you like maths, you'll be disappointed as its basic rearranging at most.
Reply 6
Lots of maths very hard exams you need to work consistency from the start. But very useful you learn a lot of proper knowledge(Stuff that's useful day to day) more so than Biology or Physics. Opens doors everywhere even respected for subjects like law .
Reply 7
you'll be grand. i hated the maths part coz i didnt do add maths gcse. and i moved school for A levels were my previous school didnt care how I did in anything and they messed up my maths GCSE. even the gradients we were taught for GCSE didnt match the way my school were I moved to did. hate them for it. they even told me not to do chemistry but I didnt take their advice and did it anyway. lol.
Reply 8
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Yup quite a bit of formulae but if you like maths, you'll be disappointed as its basic rearranging at most.

it gets more complex at A2 I.E. rates and stuff but only slightly a bit of natural Logs too.
im doing Edexcel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
ok, good.. As long as it isn't all learn this learn that and there is some maths to it.. then thats good :smile:
There's not too much maths in AQA from my previous experience (at most 30%) a lot of chemistry is theory

Edit: Note this is just my experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending