The Student Room Group

What a-levels would be good?

Hey! I understand that a lot of people decide to choose a levels based on which careers options and university choices they would like to do.
Does anyone have any ideas of which a levels would be good for a psychology, clinical psychology and mental health degree?
Thanks !
Biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology, maths etc
Reply 2
Original post by bloograpefroot
Biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology, maths etc

thabkyou! i already take psychology for gcse and i’m definitely thinking about taking it for a-levels. i’ve also considered maths but i’m worried that even though i’m getting good grades in it now i might drop off as a level looks extremely difficult. similar situation with chemistry and biology.
Original post by isabella829138
thabkyou! i already take psychology for gcse and i’m definitely thinking about taking it for a-levels. i’ve also considered maths but i’m worried that even though i’m getting good grades in it now i might drop off as a level looks extremely difficult. similar situation with chemistry and biology.

Yeah it depends what kind of uni u are trying to go like Russel group might want a science/ maths u could maybe do like 1 of those subjects then 2 “easier” so u won’t be too overwhelmed. Maybe also like a btech alevel like health and social or something if ur school do that
Reply 4
Hey! I understand that a lot of people decide to choose a levels based on which careers options and university choices they would like to do.
Does anyone have any ideas of which a levels would be good for a psychology, clinical psychology and mental health degree?
Thanks !

Heya!
I would recommend using prospects and uniguide alvl explorer + look at entry requirements and note down what they say you need :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by bloograpefroot
Yeah it depends what kind of uni u are trying to go like Russel group might want a science/ maths u could maybe do like 1 of those subjects then 2 “easier” so u won’t be too overwhelmed. Maybe also like a btech alevel like health and social or something if ur school do that

thankyou!

Theirs is a very big step up from gcse for bio maths and chem as they’re the subjects I do. It as long as you keep up with the workload and revise as you go along I’ll be fine
Reply 7
Original post by B7861
Theirs is a very big step up from gcse for bio maths and chem as they’re the subjects I do. It as long as you keep up with the workload and revise as you go along I’ll be fine

i want to do something similar, like psychology and neuroscience but also medicine and stuff and next year i'm going to take psychology, biology and chemistry (even though i don't like chemistry that much anymore lmao)
Reply 9
Original post by fivestarmichelin
i want to do something similar, like psychology and neuroscience but also medicine and stuff and next year i'm going to take psychology, biology and chemistry (even though i don't like chemistry that much anymore lmao)

That was exactly what i wanted to do! I was so set in stone that I was going to do psychology, biology and chemistry but then gave myself a reality check and remembered that this combination is not for the weak…
Im now gravitating more towards psychology, philosophy, politics, economics etc
Good luck to you!
That was exactly what i wanted to do! I was so set in stone that I was going to do psychology, biology and chemistry but then gave myself a reality check and remembered that this combination is not for the weak…
Im now gravitating more towards psychology, philosophy, politics, economics etc
Good luck to you!

woah philosophy sounds quite cool! i've always wanted to do that but i think three a levels is enough for me haha
yeah i'm mentally preparing myself for taking on 2 sciences and an essay subject which can't be easy but those are like my 3 favourite subjects and are exactly what i need lmaooo
thanks, good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by fivestarmichelin
woah philosophy sounds quite cool! i've always wanted to do that but i think three a levels is enough for me haha
yeah i'm mentally preparing myself for taking on 2 sciences and an essay subject which can't be easy but those are like my 3 favourite subjects and are exactly what i need lmaooo
thanks, good luck to you too! :smile:

I think you’ll do great:smile:
Thanks !

I am going to take psychology and biology and religious studies so i say try take a science you are the best in or like and then take an essay subjects like philosophy ,politics or anything like that cause most universities want you to have psychology and another science. So pick a third a-level with will look good with your other options and it is easily managed so you know you will get good in it.
Thanks !

Usually one science should suffice in order to meet entry requirements (e.g. biology, chemistry, maths, etc.). By no means is it necessary to take a combination of them - I'd generally recommend taking one science followed by two subjects you're actually interested in. :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by studentofdelaw
I am going to take psychology and biology and religious studies so i say try take a science you are the best in or like and then take an essay subjects like philosophy ,politics or anything like that cause most universities want you to have psychology and another science. So pick a third a-level with will look good with your other options and it is easily managed so you know you will get good in it.

thankyou!
Original post by cephalothin
Usually one science should suffice in order to meet entry requirements (e.g. biology, chemistry, maths, etc.). By no means is it necessary to take a combination of them - I'd generally recommend taking one science followed by two subjects you're actually interested in. :smile:

thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest