The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi... I'v heard so much about the university, positive in fact, which is always encouraging for prospective students.

However no college or university is absolutely perfect. What could be the negatives that one could face at the college?

Planning on applying for september 2014 entry and ca someone tell me about the postgraduate course for accounting and finance?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by NeoNerd
Don't worry about having no prior legal knowledge. It's assumed that everyone is starting from scratch, so everything starts from the begining. An A-Level in law is probably of limited use anyway, since I'd assume it would cover English Law, not Scots law!

You will do some work in smaller groups. Each course in your first two years will have a weekly (or sometimes less) tutorial - around 20 of you, compared to the 150 - 200 in some lectures. You'll also be assigned some smaller group stuff inside your tutorial group. That chanes to seminars in your third and fourth years - two hour long tutorials, basically.

This is a bit of an estimate, but I probably spent about 15 hours a week in lectures and tutorials in my first year.

Ahh okay! I guess I won't have to spend all my summer drowned in Law books haha (I'll save that for the actual course) :smile:

Oh okay, that's not too bad. 15 hours only? Oh god, definitely a change from the 30 hours I spend now, can't wait!

Thank you.
Reply 982
Original post by NeoNerd
Don't worry about having no prior legal knowledge. It's assumed that everyone is starting from scratch, so everything starts from the begining. An A-Level in law is probably of limited use anyway, since I'd assume it would cover English Law, not Scots law!

You will do some work in smaller groups. Each course in your first two years will have a weekly (or sometimes less) tutorial - around 20 of you, compared to the 150 - 200 in some lectures. You'll also be assigned some smaller group stuff inside your tutorial group. That chanes to seminars in your third and fourth years - two hour long tutorials, basically.

This is a bit of an estimate, but I probably spent about 15 hours a week in lectures and tutorials in my first year.

I haven't been able to speak to many previous law students at Edinburgh!
So far I think it is my first choice if I get an offer. Is the department good? Did you think the teaching was good and there were opportunities to do well?

How likely is it to secure vacation schemes/training contracts from Edinburgh? Plus is the atmosphere at the university good?

Sorry for all the questions :biggrin:
Reply 983
Original post by danataher
Ahh okay! I guess I won't have to spend all my summer drowned in Law books haha (I'll save that for the actual course) :smile:

Oh okay, that's not too bad. 15 hours only? Oh god, definitely a change from the 30 hours I spend now, can't wait!

Thank you.

Well, it's only 15 taught hours! You'll obviously spend some more time doing work yourself (or maybe not!).

Original post by Ambry
I haven't been able to speak to many previous law students at Edinburgh!
So far I think it is my first choice if I get an offer. Is the department good? Did you think the teaching was good and there were opportunities to do well?

How likely is it to secure vacation schemes/training contracts from Edinburgh? Plus is the atmosphere at the university good?

Sorry for all the questions :biggrin:

The department is excellent. Many of the staff are authorities in their field, and are often referenced in judgements. The teaching quality was usually excellent, although there are a few variations on that. If the department has a fault, its that it is strongly academic. There's less of a focus on practical law and more on theory and legal decelopment.

Getting holiday schemes and traineeships is difficult for everyone at the moment. The truth is that there are more people looking for jobs each year than there are traineeships. You won't get anywhere if you don't have excellent grades.

The atmosphere is really what you make of it. You can spend your time in so many ways and in such different company that the atmosphere is hugel different for different people.
Original post by NeoNerd
Well, it's only 15 taught hours! You'll obviously spend some more time doing work yourself (or maybe not!).

Oh definitely! I'm not making the mistake of leaving all my work for the last minute. I've done it once (AS) and it was hell.
I'm in a dilemma between 2 universities....uni of edinburgh and uni of manchester. Rankings show that edin has a much lesser ranking for my course in msc in finance than manchester. However im not too sure about the city of manchester. I'M AN INTERNATIONAL student so i wouldnt really wanna rely on the internet , hence i thought it would be better to ask you guys!
Original post by giselle carvalho
I'm in a dilemma between 2 universities....uni of edinburgh and uni of manchester. Rankings show that edin has a much lesser ranking for my course in msc in finance than manchester. However im not too sure about the city of manchester. I'M AN INTERNATIONAL student so i wouldnt really wanna rely on the internet , hence i thought it would be better to ask you guys!

Both cities are widely regarded in the UK as being diverse and great cities with culture and a good night out etc. I'd suggest looking at the specifics of your course and seeing which you prefer.
well the both of them are equally amazing. Both are unique yet similar in their own perspectives.! Hence the dilemma! :frown:
well the both of them are equally amazing. Both are unique yet similar in their own perspectives.! Hence the dilemma! :frown:

Ah that's tough. Is money/funding an issue?
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Ah that's tough. Is money/funding an issue?

If the unuversity and the course is great , then no funds arent the issue. :smile:
If the unuversity and the course is great , then no funds arent the issue. :smile:

Flip a coin and decide that way?
Haha. If only it were that easy :P
Original post by NeoNerd

Getting holiday schemes and traineeships is difficult for everyone at the moment. The truth is that there are more people looking for jobs each year than there are traineeships. You won't get anywhere if you don't have excellent grades.

Hi there :smile: I was hoping if you could help answer my questions about law in Edinburgh

1) Are there a lot of international students studying law at Edinburgh? I saw in another thread that it was mostly local (Scottish) students and American students only, is this true?
2) Would it be harder to get a vacation scheme or a training contract as an international student?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 993
Original post by iamyourmum
Hi there :smile: I was hoping if you could help answer my questions about law in Edinburgh

1) Are there a lot of international students studying law at Edinburgh? I saw in another thread that it was mostly local (Scottish) students and American students only, is this true?
2) Would it be harder to get a vacation scheme or a training contract as an international student?

Thank you :smile:

The majority of students studying law are Scottish. There aren't that many international students, but there are a few, from all over the place. There were probably more American students than others but not overwhelmingly so.

Getting a holiday scheme is no more difficult for you than anyone else. Getting a traineeship very much depends on your right to stay and work in the UK. If you have citizenship of an EU country then that's simple. If not, then it can be extremely difficult to get the requisite visa to work in the UK.
Reply 994
hi guys,

just wondering if anyone is currently studying this course or has applied to it?

and anybody who's been at edinburgh and can comment on what the social life, and sports culture is like?

thanks!
Reply 995
Hi! :smile:
I'm considering studying at Edinburgh, may I know what sort of traditions they have there?
(edited 10 years ago)
Aloha and a happy new year to everyone! :biggrin:

I'm starting junior college next week, but I've started thinking ahead about which unis I'm going to apply for, and I really am interested in Edinburgh. But.....I'm from Singapore and it's going to be expensive for my parents to send me to Edinburgh for Medicine, so I need some advice from international students studying in this uni. :smile:

1. Roughly what is the cost of private accommodation (buying/renting an apartment)?
2. How different is private living from that in a dorm? Which option would you recommend?
3. Would it be possible for one parent to stay with me for an extended period, say a couple of months out of the year or even more than a year? (Sorry, I'm not very sure of the immigration laws yet ><)

Thanks in advance!
Reply 997
Happy new year everyone !
I was just wondering if there was any student studying sustainable development here ( it's the course I've applied to ) because I'd really appreciate to discuss what the course is like with someone who is already studying it :smile:
Afraid I can't comment on the course itself as I don't know anyone who's on it, but I can comment on the social and sport scene.

I can't really say how the social life at Edinburgh compares to other universities because obviously I haven't attended them, but, the social life here is pretty much what I expected. It's largely what you make of it. If you want to go out clubbing most nights a week, you can do that. Pound a pint Tuesdays at the Hive; Thursdays at Cab Vol; Big Cheese on the Saturday or wherever else you want to go...if you want to join clubs and societies and do that, there's a wide range of those for you to join. Really, you can do whatever the **** you want to do. If you want an active social life, you won't be hard pressed to find one. If you want a quiet social life, you can easily do that too.

The sports culture at Edinburgh is fantastic. We have clubs for tons of sports on a recreational and competitive level, and the Centre for Sport and Exercise confers a lot of support to the university's athletes. We also have what I think might be one of the best gyms in the country, of which you can see some of the facilities here. Membership is £105 for the whole year (August to August), which is fantastically cheap. I think it's £100 or £95 if you're a member of a university sports team.

Edit:
Jilliams
x

so you see this when you next log on. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 999
Hello. I want to know what are the SAT scores required in order to get accepted to the Univesity of Edinburgh. Should EU applicants sit the SATs too ?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending