The Student Room Group

UCL vs Edinburgh — Linguistics/Social Anthropology

Would like a prompt reply since I am thinking of doing a reply swap, and I firmed Edinburgh about 3 days ago.

Read up on some Reddit threads again (horrible idea) and now I'm having doubts about UoE since the student satisfaction rates are lower than that of UCL. I've been advised to look for current/graduated students but I have found none online..

I firmed Edinburgh because the city genuinely looks like a place I'd love to live in. Heard reviews of the city being very student friendly, and that there are tons of international students like myself, in campus. However, there are very mixed reviews for the courses, student management/advisers, accomodations, and just the management side of the uni overall. On top of that, even though I am used to heavy workload, I am worried that I'll stress the heckkk out of myself with a joint honours programme (Linguistics and Social Anthropology, I have great interests in both.)

On the other hand, for UCL, my main issues are just the living cost and the overall appeal of the busy city life in London. Busy cities are not my favourite and I get overwhelmed very easily with those compared to cities like Edinburgh that feel more like my home country. The course looks fine, albeit a little boring, but I would love to hear input from anyone studying the course currently or those who have graduated.

Any sort of input helps! Again, I'm an international student so I can't go there to experience open days etc. for myself. I've watched so many student vlogs I've lost count, and none of them have really helped me decide anything. Thank you in advance!
Original post by reeyah18
Would like a prompt reply since I am thinking of doing a reply swap, and I firmed Edinburgh about 3 days ago.
Read up on some Reddit threads again (horrible idea) and now I'm having doubts about UoE since the student satisfaction rates are lower than that of UCL. I've been advised to look for current/graduated students but I have found none online..
I firmed Edinburgh because the city genuinely looks like a place I'd love to live in. Heard reviews of the city being very student friendly, and that there are tons of international students like myself, in campus. However, there are very mixed reviews for the courses, student management/advisers, accomodations, and just the management side of the uni overall. On top of that, even though I am used to heavy workload, I am worried that I'll stress the heckkk out of myself with a joint honours programme (Linguistics and Social Anthropology, I have great interests in both.)
On the other hand, for UCL, my main issues are just the living cost and the overall appeal of the busy city life in London. Busy cities are not my favourite and I get overwhelmed very easily with those compared to cities like Edinburgh that feel more like my home country. The course looks fine, albeit a little boring, but I would love to hear input from anyone studying the course currently or those who have graduated.
Any sort of input helps! Again, I'm an international student so I can't go there to experience open days etc. for myself. I've watched so many student vlogs I've lost count, and none of them have really helped me decide anything. Thank you in advance!
heya i applied for linguistics for ucl and have firmed it!! but the main thing is that if you prefer a quieter lifestyle, then edinburgh is definitely the way to go! from what i've heard, it's an absolutely beautiful city! also, if you are worried about the joint honours - i'm sure your admissions department would let you do one or the other!
Original post by reeyah18

Which course did you apply to at UCL? There isn't a joint honours between those two departments as far as I'm aware of here.

Bear in mind that anthropology at UCL is the full gamut of the field and not just social anthropology (you are required to do medical anth, biological anth, and material culture on the anthropology degree there), and the linguistics course is very generative in flavour (so less focused on e.g. language documentation and preservation, sociolinguistics, historical linguistics, dialectology etc - which I mention since you are looking at linguistics in relation to anthropology).

Joint honours degrees are not more work than a single honours degree in general terms - you do the same amount of credits. There are additional factors which can make joint honours degrees require a bit more investment from the student though, such as more frequently having to deal with admin issues around e.g. timetable clashes and different requirements between the departments, and depending on the specific course combination the "style" of working/thinking might be very different and require a bit of a "gear change" when working on stuff (although this is not so much going to be an issue with linguistics and anthropology I think - moreso things like physics and philosophy or something where they're quite different approaches).

Generally most large research universities in major cities in the UK have lower student satisfaction results, although I'd expect Edinburgh and UCL to be similar on that front generally. That said the overall student satisfaction rating doesn't tell you much - if all the computer scientists hate their course but all the people in your subject area(s) love it, then an apparently "low" score skewed by those other departments isn't going to tell you much. If the student satisfaction scores for the department you're going to be based in are lower it's something to look into why that might be.

I think realistically though in terms of general admin/social life/"student experience" stuff, UCL and Edinburgh are going to be very similar (except UCL will be much more expensive due to cost of living in London, although Edinburgh is also high it's a more compact city so you aren't having to e.g. spend 35 minutes on the tube every morning going to the uni after first year because you live out on the border of Kent or something). So I think the major difference will be the academic aspect of the course itself, and if you're comparing a joint honours at one and a single honours at another even if the overlapping subject had similar focuses at both unis that itself is a significant difference. Since I think the actual individual departments are somewhat different at both unis (Edinburgh linguistics for example emphasises a lot more cognitive science and computational approaches as I recall for example as well), this is also another major difference.

Note that in the UK "student advisers" aren't really like they are in e.g. the US. You aren't typically going to have someone discussing in any level of detail your optional module choices and so on or anything, and the pastoral care varies a bit and can often be more signposting to the relevant services in the uni. While it's of course very helpful to have this sign posting, I would not assume it's going to be an "intimate" relationship necessarily. So you might just need to manage your expectations a little about what university study in the UK entails in general - it's typically very much emphasising the student independently doing things to a large extent (this is also true of the actual studying and not just the support processes).

Also I would caution against making any decisions based on reddit. It universally seems to attract people who are relentlessly negative with overinflated egos who spend their time putting down anything and everything (and everyone). Reddit is not an accurate reflection of real life anywhere for anything.
Edinburgh will be far cheaper than London.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Which course did you apply to at UCL? There isn't a joint honours between those two departments as far as I'm aware of here.
Bear in mind that anthropology at UCL is the full gamut of the field and not just social anthropology (you are required to do medical anth, biological anth, and material culture on the anthropology degree there), and the linguistics course is very generative in flavour (so less focused on e.g. language documentation and preservation, sociolinguistics, historical linguistics, dialectology etc - which I mention since you are looking at linguistics in relation to anthropology).
Joint honours degrees are not more work than a single honours degree in general terms - you do the same amount of credits. There are additional factors which can make joint honours degrees require a bit more investment from the student though, such as more frequently having to deal with admin issues around e.g. timetable clashes and different requirements between the departments, and depending on the specific course combination the "style" of working/thinking might be very different and require a bit of a "gear change" when working on stuff (although this is not so much going to be an issue with linguistics and anthropology I think - moreso things like physics and philosophy or something where they're quite different approaches).
Generally most large research universities in major cities in the UK have lower student satisfaction results, although I'd expect Edinburgh and UCL to be similar on that front generally. That said the overall student satisfaction rating doesn't tell you much - if all the computer scientists hate their course but all the people in your subject area(s) love it, then an apparently "low" score skewed by those other departments isn't going to tell you much. If the student satisfaction scores for the department you're going to be based in are lower it's something to look into why that might be.
I think realistically though in terms of general admin/social life/"student experience" stuff, UCL and Edinburgh are going to be very similar (except UCL will be much more expensive due to cost of living in London, although Edinburgh is also high it's a more compact city so you aren't having to e.g. spend 35 minutes on the tube every morning going to the uni after first year because you live out on the border of Kent or something). So I think the major difference will be the academic aspect of the course itself, and if you're comparing a joint honours at one and a single honours at another even if the overlapping subject had similar focuses at both unis that itself is a significant difference. Since I think the actual individual departments are somewhat different at both unis (Edinburgh linguistics for example emphasises a lot more cognitive science and computational approaches as I recall for example as well), this is also another major difference.
Note that in the UK "student advisers" aren't really like they are in e.g. the US. You aren't typically going to have someone discussing in any level of detail your optional module choices and so on or anything, and the pastoral care varies a bit and can often be more signposting to the relevant services in the uni. While it's of course very helpful to have this sign posting, I would not assume it's going to be an "intimate" relationship necessarily. So you might just need to manage your expectations a little about what university study in the UK entails in general - it's typically very much emphasising the student independently doing things to a large extent (this is also true of the actual studying and not just the support processes).
Also I would caution against making any decisions based on reddit. It universally seems to attract people who are relentlessly negative with overinflated egos who spend their time putting down anything and everything (and everyone). Reddit is not an accurate reflection of real life anywhere for anything.
Ah I should've been more specific in my original post, my apologies !! I applied to the BA Linguistics programme in UCL (single honours).

Language preservation and documentation + sociolinguistics are what I'm geared towards so I'm glad you mentioned that. It's exactly what I gathered from looking through and making comparisons between both of the course structures too.

And I agree with the Reddit point I spiralled and opened thread after thread of complaints about UoE on there and the situation is always the same; STEM students complaining and other students defending UoE. I haven't heard much input about my departments themselves though, which is also why I came to this website to try to see if anybody is on the same boat.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I appreciate it a ton :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
hi i think i responded to another post of yours the other day in the offer holder thread. i haven’t applied to UCL but i have for edinburgh and honestly, am really keen to go there (even though i don’t have an offer)

advantages for me are:
elective modules-this may be the case for UCL also but the four year nature of the course means that you get to take a couple of elective modules, which really appeals to me as someone who really enjoys language learning, and wants to keep that up going forward.

public transport connections-as the city is a bit smaller, walking everywhere is really no trouble. plus, walking to the train station is very easy, and allows for easy transport to lots of other cities, but as someone who is very socially anxious, i don’t feel intimidated by edinburgh waverly station.

it’s also very pretty, and being split into the old town and new town, there’s definitely something for everyone.

i don’t have much experience with london but it is still a very beautiful city, but not my vibe because of its size.

if you want to ask anything else feel free, i understand it must be really difficult to make this decision without visiting! i’ve visited london a couple of times and edinburgh reasonably frequently, so lmk :smile:
Reply 6
Edinburgh's better at Linguistics, UCL's better at Social Anthropology. Go to the university you prefer. Despite satisfaction being higher at UCL, fewer people drop out of education altogether during the course at Edinburgh. Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
Scottish education tends to be more general so there'll be options to study other subjects at the same time. It also tends to last a year longer than the same English degree. UCL looks more sciencey in its approach to me.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending