The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
Hope they actually do a mac.

Wish granted [=
Original post by G8D
This is quite interesting: http://m.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/demo/index.html

(best run on Android phones/iPhones)

I'm actually loving this...

Looks awesome. I'll have to theme in red thogh :p:
Original post by Dez
Wired networks on the other hand don't need a password, since access is already controlled by needing physical access to a cable. Data is sent to the router unencrypted, which means in theory anyone else on the same local network could intercept it (i.e. your housemates), although that's very unlikely to happen.

What would you need, theoretically, to intercept a wired connection? Would you actually need something physical between the computer and the router?
Reply 283
Original post by secretmessages
What would you need, theoretically, to intercept a wired connection? Would you actually need something physical between the computer and the router?

I have absolutely no idea TBH. Packet sniffing isn't particularly easy, if you had something between the router and the victim that would work, but you'd also need to pretend to be the router, which will cause clashes on the rest of the network. Basically, I have no idea, but I'm sure it can be done with determination. :p:

Original post by Dez
I have absolutely no idea TBH. Packet sniffing isn't particularly easy, if you had something between the router and the victim that would work, but you'd also need to pretend to be the router, which will cause clashes on the rest of the network. Basically, I have no idea, but I'm sure it can be done with determination. :p:

:holmes:

Thanks. I'm just being paranoid really (I'm not the one who wants to do the intercepting :p:).
Problem?

Not really, I'm working, you're not.

Original post by spikeymike

Not really, I'm working, you're not.

Reply 288
Is IE really down to 35%? :lolwut: That seems incredibly low, seeing as it was 60-80% only a few years back.
Reply 289
Original post by Dez
Is IE really down to 35%? :lolwut: That seems incredibly low, seeing as it was 60-80% only a few years back.

Aye, I believe early last year it was just under 50%.

You could perform some kind of MITM attack by ARP spoofing, but you'd need to be physically connected to the same subnet as ARP isn't a broadcast protocol. There's an ARP spoofer built into BackTrack for that sort of thing - couple it with SSLStrip and you're privy to quite a bit of information at times :holmes:

But yeah, any sensibly configured network would have monitoring apparatus to detect this sort of shenanigans near instantly as well as the obvious hassle caused to the rest of the network r.e. traffic going missing and things not working. I can't think of a way to do it more passively and surreptitiously off the top of my head anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
What can you do if you get a BSOD when you try to boot from a Windows disk?

I need to repair the BOOTMGR.
Reply 292
What can you do if you get a BSOD when you try to boot from a Windows disk?

I need to repair the BOOTMGR.

Laptop or desktop? I'd try removing/replacing non-essential hardware, and try running memtest86 too.
Does anybody have any idea if Orange have a cancellation window on their contracts?
:holmes:

Thanks. I'm just being paranoid really (I'm not the one who wants to do the intercepting :p:).

Does ARP spoofing not work for wired connections too?

I'm not entirely sure, just remember playing around with it once and I think it may have worked.
Reply 295
I believe it's 14 days from when you received the contract
Original post by Dez
Laptop or desktop? I'd try removing/replacing non-essential hardware, and try running memtest86 too.

Desktop, but I fixed the BSOD, just my mobo being an ass because it doesn't like 4GB RAM no matter which set I put in. :colonhash:

Apart from that, I have a new problem. After my format and windows installation... the system now barely lasts 5mins without instantly turning off. First thoughts, overheating right. I don't know where but CPU and mobo temps normal in BIOS. I've watched the temps in BIOS and it shutdown at 47C one time.

I only have RAM and a sound card installed.
Using onboard graphics.
2 hard drives installed
CD/DVD drive
Corsair VX500 PSU (500W)
Phenom II x4 940
Changed the BIOS battery
All fans are spinning
Original post by Kenny_uk

Original post by Kenny_uk
I believe it's 14 days from when you received the contract

Excellent, I'm only 10 days in. Hopefully you're right haha. Cheers.
Reply 298
I'm quite sure there's a legal requirement now :smile: not certain though
Reply 299
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I like the new Youtube design.

Subscriptions page is so much better, the old one was ugly. I really like the video page too :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending