The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B F331 Chemistry for Life (13-01-2012)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy4410
F.Maths I would talk about the test cause talking maths hidden in a chemistry discussion is genius. But I already got 10 warming points yesterday so can't risk it

All I'm going to say is that I died in my C1 exam and i'm preparing myself for a retake- i've always been terrible at maths I don't know why the hell I took it to as level.
Reply 401
Would everyone agree that the F331 Exam today was based more on Elements of life rather then fuels?

If i remember correctly that 3 questions started as elements of lifes then one talked about fuels aswell
Original post by Roshniroxy
All I'm going to say is that I died in my C1 exam and i'm preparing myself for a retake- i've always been terrible at maths I don't know why the hell I took it to as level.

Most people who took just a level maths found it difficult but I couldn't tell how difficult because I was sitting c1 and c2 with a few others we couldnt talk to anyone because some people in my school retakers had their c2 when I had my c1. So I could only talk to others in f.maths but they found it a bit difficult. And in c2 the kid next to me gave up within 15mins if the test, he slammed his head in the table closed the paper and gave up. So c2 was also a bit more difficult than usual
Most people who took just a level maths found it difficult but I couldn't tell how difficult because I was sitting c1 and c2 with a few others we couldnt talk to anyone because some people in my school retakers had their c2 when I had my c1. So I could only talk to others in f.maths but they found it a bit difficult. And in c2 the kid next to me gave up within 15mins if the test, he slammed his head in the table closed the paper and gave up. So c2 was also a bit more difficult than usual

it's not fair, i'm so embarrassed to face my maths teacher, he had so many hopes pinned up. I'm so worried, their is definitely a negative momentum that is going to build up. I'm not a natural at maths, no matter how much hard work I put in when ever I open a maths paper I run out of time then panic or freeze. :/
Original post by Kwwl
Would everyone agree that the F331 Exam today was based more on Elements of life rather then fuels?

If i remember correctly that 3 questions started as elements of lifes then one talked about fuels aswell

it was nothing i revised.
it's not fair, i'm so embarrassed to face my maths teacher, he had so many hopes pinned up. I'm so worried, their is definitely a negative momentum that is going to build up. I'm not a natural at maths, no matter how much hard work I put in when ever I open a maths paper I run out of time then panic or freeze. :/

That's Also partly worried about not getting A's in maths and physics because if anyone needs help they usually turn to me or one other who is a bit better than me. Don't wanna let them or my teachers down (high expectations/too much pressure)
(edited 12 years ago)
What do people think that the grade boundaries will be? Personally I found this exam little less harder than the Jan 2010 so I'm hoping around 44-47 for an A
I just realized why exams were so hard today
... Friday ... The.... 13th....
... Friday ... The.... 13th....

exam boards did this purposely, they are really cow and half.
That's Also partly worried about not getting A's in maths and physics because if anyone needs help they usually turn to me or one other who is a bit better than me. Don't wanna let them or my teachers down (high expectations/too much pressure)

I'm just going to tell my maths teacher to no expect to much of me anymore.
By the way exams results day:
15th March
Summer gce entry deadline is 5 working days after.
Original post by Zhy
I doubt it will ever be that high. 51/60 at best, unless OCR are just sadistic. I don't think it will be higher than 50.

Nothing to do with chemistry just to get attention.
Anyways, few questions, how hard is m2? How much of a step up is m1 to m2?
And is it possible to learn m2 to 2months?
By the way I won't have learnt C3 or C4 at this time will just be learning it
Thanks
Reply 413
exam boards did this purposely, they are really cow and half.

all AS and A2 exams are HARD I think. Your Just not working hard enough. Your saying that everything you revised, never came up, then welcome to AS level. The Exam board will not hand the A grade to any tom, dick and harry. AS levels are there to separate the sheeps from the goats as my chemistry teacher used to say.

Im sorry if the exam might not have gone good but what im saying is put the effort and work in, do subjects you know you like and will succeed and then flourish and thrive when you get your results.

Why the Neg :/ Im just being realistic rather than positive
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 414
Nothing to do with chemistry just to get attention.
Anyways, few questions, how hard is m2? How much of a step up is m1 to m2?
And is it possible to learn m2 to 2months?
By the way I won't have learnt C3 or C4 at this time will just be learning it
Thanks

M2 is very easy. It took me about 2 weeks to do from the textbook doing a few hours each day.

You can do M2 without C3/C4, but some of the trig identities from C3 could help for the projectile motion topics. In M2, you have

Projectile motion (if you do AS physics you'll be fine with this)

Particle collisions (instead of 2, you have 3-particle collisions and ones that hit a wall, bounce back, so you have to account for several collisions occurring, and Newton's Law of Elasticity for collisions is used (v = eu))

Lots of centres of mass (of a wire framework, of a lamina, of weird shapes with holes in them, and determining whether or not these objects topple when put at a certain angle on an inclined plane, etc.)...

Using calculus to find displacement, velocity and acceleration

Work, energy and power (again, similar to AS physics but there is quite a bit more in there)

Statistics of rigid bodies (more moments, but this time you have things like ladders resting against walls where you have two co-efficients of friction, and two frictional forces with two normal contact forces). Very similar to M1 but a bit trickier because you're required to find the perpendicular distance for pretty much any question.

It's a bit of a step up from M1 (it's harder), but it's more fun in my opinion.
Original post by Zhy
M2 is very easy. It took me about 2 weeks to do from the textbook doing a few hours each day.

You can do M2 without C3/C4, but some of the trig identities from C3 could help for the projectile motion topics. In M2, you have

Projectile motion (if you do AS physics you'll be fine with this)

Particle collisions (instead of 2, you have 3-particle collisions and ones that hit a wall, bounce back, so you have to account for several collisions occurring, and Newton's Law of Elasticity for collisions is used (v = eu))

Lots of centres of mass (of a wire framework, of a lamina, of weird shapes with holes in them, and determining whether or not these objects topple when put at a certain angle on an inclined plane, etc.)...

Using calculus to find displacement, velocity and acceleration

Work, energy and power (again, similar to AS physics but there is quite a bit more in there)

Statistics of rigid bodies (more moments, but this time you have things like ladders resting against walls where you have two co-efficients of friction, and two frictional forces with two normal contact forces). Very similar to M1 but a bit trickier because you're required to find the perpendicular distance for pretty much any question.

It's a bit of a step up from M1 (it's harder), but it's more fun in my opinion.

Cheers, thanks for the detailed notes, I will probably start learning it this weekend or next weekend. I'm doing as physics at the moment and I'm strong with horizontal & vertical velocity in physics (was gutted it didn't come up).

As out of interest does your school teach concept or content for physics? Assuming your doing edexcel salters
Reply 416
Cheers, thanks for the detailed notes, I will probably start learning it this weekend or next weekend. I'm doing as physics at the moment and I'm strong with horizontal & vertical velocity in physics (was gutted it didn't come up).

As out of interest does your school teach concept or content for physics? Assuming your doing edexcel salters

Both... we have finished Mechanics, Waves, DC Electricity, Nature of Light, and have just started Materials and will be doing the coursework next week. It's a boring course.
Original post by Zhy
Both... we have finished Mechanics, Waves, DC Electricity, Nature of Light, and have just started Materials and will be doing the coursework next week. It's a boring course.

Both...???
I thought they were the same exam but taught in different ways (which now when I think about sounds odd) so what your saying is there is different content between the two courses?

Also for the context what units are easiest?
Also how is it a bit different?
I really hope an A was like 47/80 but if most people got around that mark won't an A be much higher??

I hated the exam!
Reply 419
Alos gutted cause i forgot the 2- on sulfur ion. i forgot why i put it in bracket in the first place, i will get 2/3 for that. Starting to think i just missed out on an A

Oh **** I put - not 2- I think. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending